Teraflex?

rcdude3

I like my TF long arm. No problems yet! :thumb: But If something does happen to it, ill look into the EVO LA kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This was a post that highoctane just made in another thread. For those of you who don't want to take my word for it, here's a 2nd opinion for you...

I'll list my beef with their LNG arm kit. I ran the 3" LCG long arm lift, with longer Rock Krawler heim jointed sway bar links, because the provided Teraflex links wear out quick, but that's another issue.

1. The flex joints do not provide enough misalignment. When flexing, the ball inside the flex joint bottoms out on the housing. At that point, a strong rotational force is transmitted through the entire control arm, especially the lowers, to the frames ode bushings that DO NOT handle rotational force well at all, and will behind clanging and actually start pulling out of the control arm.

2. There is a significant loss of ground clearance due to how low the lower control arm frame side mounts hang. I constantly hng up on rick with these low hanging mounts.

3. The mounts are weak. I had one crack, and rip off a portion of the frame with the left over part of the mount. My kit was installed by a certified aircraft welder, with over 12 years of experience welding aircraft structures. My front control arm mounts were getting stress cracks all over the area where the lugs that the control arm joints attach to. Again I suspect from reaching max misalignment and transitioning the rotational force to the control arm mounts. This was nowhere near the welds on the front mounts.

4. The provided "monster" front track bar snapped in two on me, three separate times. I'm told they changed the design, but after those failures I lost test in such a critical component and ran a stock track bar instead.

5. The springs were very stiff. And the base 9550 shocks are kind of stiff as well, and three of them started leak g within 20k miles of use.

6. The 9550 steering stabilizer would leak out all of its fluid just about bi monthly. I ended up giving up on replacing it, and just left it on there. My alignment settings were good enough I didn't notice it much or need a steering stabilizer.

I could not imagine how fast you would blow through flex joints and bushings with coil overs like the Evo bolt on coil overs. I ran the Evo Rock Star rear lower control arm mounts/skids, which gave me about an inch more droop, and made me rip through frame side bushings. My shocks are what limited my droop, and it was not enough to unseat the springs or anything, so it should be what I consider with the design limits of the system.

Teraflex was quick yo replace all of my failed parts without issue, shipping included. But a lot of good that does you with a $700 tow bill, or limping down the road with a winch cable and about. 6 ratchet straps making up hour front track bar at a 30-35 mpg hop speed before severe death wobble ensued.

This isn't just here-say and bashing. I've got pics to show the failures I had.

This is what failed first, NOT the weld. Limping it back to the parking area at Rausch Creek caused the failure at the weld. I caught this when hearing a loud clanging noise on the trail, found this section broken.

Clean snap.

It did flex well.

Note the very low frame side control arm mounts.

The kit new.

I can't find the pics of my broken Teraflex Monster track bar, but it looked EXACTLY like this.

Again, I simply cannot make this stuff up nor would I have a reason to. Just because you may not like what you hear doesn't mean anyone is being "hostile". We're just sharing what we've seen and experienced. You can take it or leave it.

GCM 2

This was a post that highoctane just made in another thread. For those of you who don't want to take my word for it, here's a 2nd opinion for you...

Again, I simply cannot make this stuff up nor would I have a reason to. Just because you may not like what you hear doesn't mean anyone is being "hostile". We're just sharing what we've seen and experienced. You can take it or leave it.

Clearly this is an elaborate staging of photoshopped pics! Someone is paying you to do this.......
I want names! You can see in the one photo that the vehicle owner is irresponsibly prying apart his lift kit with a screwdriver. :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly this is an elaborate staging of photoshopped pics! Someone is paying you to do this.......
I want names! You can see in the one photo that the vehicle owner is irresponsibly prying apart his lift kit with a screwdriver. :cheesy:

I am impressed young grasshopper. Clearly, the Photoshop Ninja course you took at the University of Phoenix online has taught you well.

Serg5000

I run Teraflex.......stickers. Lol
qyberevu.jpg

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Wow just noticed how bad I butchered the spelling in that long post. Getting used to my ipad mini since I sold my ipad 4, combined with a few Shock Tops, ended in some pretty bad typing. I edited it as required.

GCM 2

I am impressed young grasshopper. Clearly, the Photoshop Ninja course you took at the University of Phoenix online has taught you well.

Well, I did graduate 'summa cum laude' in a very tasteful online ceremony. Oh, and also I received a pdf certificate (worthy of printing), so I'm pretty sure I am an expert now.

Raven Moon

Thanks for the info. I dont think I will be going this rout anyway. I dont need that kind of lift. I have a hard time getting in and out on my stock Jeep. I may use the aluminum sliders from Terraflex and maybe the CB antenna mount. But it looks like my budget will take me to recovered Rubi parts and the like. I will not be doing rock crawling but I more trail stuff with a few obstacles. Any help with cutting fenders and the like or finding donated or very cheep Rubi parts would help.

Thanks
Raven

Rubi Freak

Ok. I must admit when i see a photo like this it scares the hell out of me. I think of a hard day on the trail which could stress the trackbar, but it doesn't give out till you are on the freeway cruising at 70+ mph. And that would really SUCK!!

I purchased the "new design" Teraflex monster track bar in early 2013 and i'm thinking the new design must have come out due to the old design breaking. But i am not sure. Can someone with knowledge on this fill me in. And if I need to trash my trackbar for another one i'm good with that also.

SAFETY 1st ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381193359.705019.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381193377.227864.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone had problems with the rear TF trackbar as well?

I have not seen or heard of any of their rear track bars breaking. Having said that, it is still made in the same way with the adjustment collar but, a rear track bar will not see the same kind of stresses that a front will.

GTMOSCUBA

I have not seen or heard of any of their rear track bars breaking. Having said that, it is still made in the same way with the adjustment collar but, a rear track bar will not see the same kind of stresses that a front will.

Want to thank you for your advice, it's helped me avoid costly mistakes! I've ordered the rear track bar, can't wait to get - rear is off an inch. Also cut the rear pinch seam (need to clean up the jb weld once it cures) & slider 2" as suggested, rubbing issue solved....you're the man! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386175963.667421.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386176025.405552.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Want to thank you for your advice, it's helped me avoid costly mistakes! I've ordered the rear track bar, can't wait to get - rear is off an inch. Also cut the rear pinch seam (need to clean up the jb weld once it cures) & slider 2" as suggested, rubbing issue solved....you're the man!

Glad to hear it and glad to know that I could be of some help to you :yup:

Marc

I have there 4'' LA LCG kit with Bilstein shocks , it's to high and pretty stiff, can I replace the 4'' springs for 3" ??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have there 4'' LA LCG kit with Bilstein shocks , it's to high and pretty stiff, can I replace the 4'' springs for 3" ??

Sure you can but the TeraFlex 3" coils (which measure over 4" of lift) are just as stiff. You might want to look into a coil of a different make. I personally would recommend a set of 4" EVO Plush Ride coils as they are about as soft as they get and will give you a true 4" of lift as opposed to the 5"+ you most likely have now. If you want something a bit firmer, I might recommend a set of Full-Traction 4" coils.

aaronstephen

Sure you can but the TeraFlex 3" coils (which measure over 4" of lift) are just as stiff. You might want to look into a coil of a different make. I personally would recommend a set of 4" EVO Plush Ride coils as they are about as soft as they get and will give you a true 4" of lift as opposed to the 5"+ you most likely have now. If you want something a bit firmer, I might recommend a set of Full-Traction 4" coils.

X2^^^ on this... I've personally run the plush ride coils and they were very nice and smooth on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom