Tesla Semi

Plus, if the construction and management of the Reno megafactory is any indicator of how that company operates as a whole, I’d say the company won’t last another 5-8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You should see the fly by night carriers they contract with to haul their parts and cars.
It’s obvious they are pinching pennies. And the garbage they have coming out of Texas enroute to California is down right scary. Not exactly something you’d expect to see from a well funded company.

Brute

Hooked
You should see the fly by night carriers they contract with to haul their parts and cars.
It’s obvious they are pinching pennies. And the garbage they have coming out of Texas enroute to California is down right scary. Not exactly something you’d expect to see from a well funded company.

Glad I don't own any Tesla stock...especially if their own employees think the ship is sinking...and speak about it publicly...

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I am NOT a Tesla owner, but I am a TSLA share holder, on and off....

1) Tesla isn't a car company. They are a battery and technology company, cars/trucks are simply their method of creating a market. This is currently called "the amazon model." The company will take losses after losses, sometimes for over a decade, to create AND corner the market, then, explode with gargantuan profits.

2) I don't own a Tesla, but have any of you driven a 100D? The experience is something else, literally like nothing else on 4 wheels.

3) Tesla's growth does owe some of itself to the green movement, and without it, the process would be much slower.

4) Tesla products for quite some time will be considered a luxury, like their cars, home battery packs, solar tiles, etc. New tech always is, then it trickles down to the cheap version a few years later (all the new fancy toys available on modern toyota corollas were pioneered a while ago by the likes of the MB S class.)

5) Tesla's risk is governments expanding on cheap energy production, like nuclear, however, cheap energy can also help tesla by reducing costs per mile, AND if their reliability holds up. From what I hear, model S reliability is pretty damn good.

6) They will begin licensing their technology to other manufacturers, like GM does with magnetic ride control shocks.

7) Like them or not, they have done a lot to turn the automotive industry for the better.

Brute

Hooked

1) Tesla isn't a car company. They are a battery and technology company, cars/trucks are simply their method of creating a market. This is currently called "the amazon model." The company will take losses after losses, sometimes for over a decade, to create AND corner the market, then, explode with gargantuan profits.

2) I don't own a Tesla, but have any of you driven a 100D? The experience is something else, literally like nothing else on 4 wheels.

3) Tesla's growth does owe some of itself to the green movement, and without it, the process would be much slower.

4) Tesla products for quite some time will be considered a luxury, like their cars, home battery packs, solar tiles, etc. New tech always is, then it trickles down to the cheap version a few years later (all the new fancy toys available on modern toyota corollas were pioneered a while ago by the likes of the MB S class.)

5) Tesla's risk is governments expanding on cheap energy production, like nuclear, however, cheap energy can also help tesla by reducing costs per mile, AND if their reliability holds up. From what I hear, model S reliability is pretty damn good.

6) They will begin licensing their technology to other manufacturers, like GM does with magnetic ride control shocks.

7) Like them or not, they have done a lot to turn the automotive industry for the better.

I am a Tesla owner (well, my wife drives the Model S 80D)...and she loves it...it drives great, very comfortable, and smokes Vettes & Camaro's...

While I agree with everything you say, I will always own & drive 4x4's that get 10 mpg...till I die

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I'll avoid boring everyone by starting a debate about the longterm viability of a "market share at all costs" business model and instead focus on the fact that Tesla actually isn't really cornering anything. I can't go into too much detail for professional reasons, but there is plenty of public information out there establishing who are the real stakeholders in these Tesla battery gigafactories...and it isn't Tesla!!

kep01

Well being a former trucker my question is this? Where do they expect for the drivers to recharge these trucks? We already have a problem with not enough parking now and the shippers and receivers will not let you stay on their premises? Just curious

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I am a Tesla owner (well, my wife drives the Model S 80D)...and she loves it...it drives great, very comfortable, and smokes Vettes & Camaro's...

While I agree with everything you say, I will always own & drive 4x4's that get 10 mpg...till I die

As will I, I don't see electric being anything but a luxury for most, and only in severely rare cases, cost effective.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well being a former trucker my question is this? Where do they expect for the drivers to recharge these trucks? We already have a problem with not enough parking now and the shippers and receivers will not let you stay on their premises? Just curious

Truck stops would be the biggest rollout. Truckers eat, shower, sleep, etc, plugging in a truck is something they already do, only they plug them into HVAC/AV "plugs"...I believe musk said they could give the truck 300 miles of range with a 30 minute charge.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I'll avoid boring everyone by starting a debate about the longterm viability of a "market share at all costs" business model and instead focus on the fact that Tesla actually isn't really cornering anything. I can't go into too much detail for professional reasons, but there is plenty of public information out there establishing who are the real stakeholders in these Tesla battery gigafactories...and it isn't Tesla!!

Well, cornering might be subjective, but most people I know interested in electric vehicles aren't shopping anywhere outside of tesla. I also know that the likes of Panasonic haven't even committed to their gigafactory plan, however, I do believe that for the foreseeable future, Tesla will be the "household" name in electric for the US market...at least for now. Longterm viability, once again, how long are we talking? Im not a big fan of battery/electric because of obvious faults (long recharging times, cost at the other end of the plug, etc) and lots of other factors can do damage to their plan, but for the current future, call it 5 years, I think there is plenty of interest and excitement to keep Tesla raising more and more money. Time will tell I guess.

BobNH

Such as?

I know I’m coming across as a huge downer towards Tesla. I actually think they do make the better all electric car at the moment.
Open source, forcing automakers to actually look for improvements in tech, pushing tech beyond what it is today, opening the public eye to the fact that an electric car can be one of the hottest looking cars on the road, making buyers actually want them, driving the exotic manufacturers to make electric cars, so I have to agree, they are driving change and in so doing, they are doing a lot for the auto industry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I’m not a financial expert, I remember it was something about Panasonic changing their relationship from an operating lease to a capital lease to offset the risk. You definitely have more knowledge on the issue, but I do think the tesla plan of creating a market that doesn’t really exist then filling the need created is a viable model, question is, can they pull it off.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Based on my understanding of Electric Vehicles ("EV's") is that their effects on the environment depend a lot on the source of their electricity. Since 60% of all electricity in America is from Coal fire plants, it appears really we are looking at a region oriented approach to electricity production in which electricity by popular renewable means such as wind and solar. The more the electricity is from these sources, the cleaner an EV is.

So my assertion is this: Let's take a closer look at Nuclear energy. I know that mainstream media and the leftists hate Nuclear and want us all to grow plants and use limited resources to make the planet a better place, but that is not sustainable. I would say that if we can manage Nuclear power better, the EV suddenly becomes VERY good for the environment.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Top Bottom