TEXAS: Locations & Wheeling Destinations Thread

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
so for those are interested in hitiing one of the National Forests and driving down some forest roads I figured you should have the mvum for it so heres a link to the forest service page that has them , Angelina ,Davey Crockett , Sabine , as well as Sam Houston ... they are pdf files and also show areas that are dispersed camping hunter camps , some of the roads are seasonal but no worries the forest service is pretty good about keeping gates closed till its open and they do close things off at times when there is a washout .. there are also others that are not shown on the mvum's as I have happened across more than a few but most are just down and back ..http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5300457 ... sorry for that I did add it just didn't realize it didn't show up at first

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
so for those are interested in hitiing one of the National Forests and driving down some forest roads I figured you should have the mvum for it so heres a link to the forest service page that has them , Angelina ,Davey Crockett , Sabine , as well as Sam Houston ... they are pdf files and also show areas that are dispersed camping hunter camps , some of the roads are seasonal but no worries the forest service is pretty good about keeping gates closed till its open and they do close things off at times when there is a washout .. there are also others that are not shown on the mvum's as I have happened across more than a few but most are just down and back

No link? Might have forgotten to post

Gravedigger11

Has anyone been to Northwest OHV? Looking at it since I will be visiting family in Wichita Falls next year and it is an hour away

JDalcour

Has anyone been to Northwest OHV? Looking at it since I will be visiting family in Wichita Falls next year and it is an hour away

Its a bunch of fun, but the green "easy" trails can be come become hard trails real quick when it rains. I would call and ask if its flooded out before driving out there. You can camp there as well.

CCTX50

Padre Island National Seashore can be a really good place if you are into fishing and seeing just about every star in the sky. No technical obstacles just hard packed sand to deep loose sand.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So when are you going to start the thread and organize the run?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^????????????[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

We have a few personal things that are playing out, but in a month or so, we should know what the immediate future will look like. So unless someone takes the torch, I'll start planning for fall/spring runs in about 30 days or so.

Exodus 4x4

We have a few personal things that are playing out, but in a month or so, we should know what the immediate future will look like. So unless someone takes the torch, I'll start planning for fall/spring runs in about 30 days or so.

Cool. I don't think I'll do K2 but I'd be willing to try out the other place.

CCTX50

I have been to Big Bend NP in November and at night it can dip down pretty cold. Just pack appropriately and it is no problem. The days still get hot but nothing like summer months. I would be up for a trip to either the state or national park.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
i also would love to hit palo duro canyon , been camping in the state park and it only touches a small portion of it overall as it is mostly private land but the views are killer , only thing is its more a dry weather sort of trip as when i was there camping they had some rain and it wound up closing the back portions of the park due to flooding on the route in and out of that part and those who just happened to be back there were stuck for a few days till the water level dropped down enough to allow them to get out ...

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
i also would love to hit palo duro canyon , been camping in the state park and it only touches a small portion of it overall as it is mostly private land but the views are killer , only thing is its more a dry weather sort of trip as when i was there camping they had some rain and it wound up closing the back portions of the park due to flooding on the route in and out of that part and those who just happened to be back there were stuck for a few days till the water level dropped down enough to allow them to get out ...

They only allow wheeling on the property during certain events. Ied love to go and maybe if our run is big enough, we can apply for our own permit to run the place! It would be awesome! I've been there many times during college! The place is beautiful

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
They only allow wheeling on the property during certain events. Ied love to go and maybe if our run is big enough, we can apply for our own permit to run the place! It would be awesome! I've been there many times during college! The place is beautiful

jeep safari does it but not overly fond of the cost for them .. granted you get to run places that most can't gain access to but still a bit steep in my book ....i think if we got a enough folks together then who knows it may just be worth a try .. after all from what i understand looking into the jeep safari the owner is a bit of a jeeper himself

Top Bottom