TF Terra axle housing Pros & Cons

computeruser6

The Teraflex Tera30 housing has 3.25x0.25" tubing, has the stock housing failed you? How much are you spending to do the work on your current Dana 30? Most lockers, including the ARB, are a part of the carrier. So you'll be replacing everything but shafts, unless you buy something like a lunchbox locker which would probably put too much stress on a Dana 30 carrier. You might not be saving much compared to buying a Dana 44 housing.

Last edited:

computeruser6

OP, who's given you your quote for a ProRock44? When I e-mailed Dynatrac about the possibility of a front ProRock60 I got about $8000 as a quote. I have a hard time believing that any front Dana 44 axle would cost $7500.

Dynatrac.jpg

computeruser6

Austria, Australia, oh well. The going exchange rate for Australian to American is 1.18/1, so $7500 seems excessive in either currency.

Tdkrawler

Really? You're seriously considering a Tera30?? Honestly, please don't waste your money on that complete waste of money. A bent housing is far from something you need to concern yourself with and really, that's the only thing one would help prevent. Certainly, a bent housing won't keep you from driving around and without any issues other than poor tire wear and really, the only people who are really at risk of a bent housing are those who are into driving hard and fast in the desert. Your axle shafts and ring and pinion will still be your weak link and ultimately, what will leave you high and dry WHEN they break. The whole point of upgrading your axle should be to beef up the internal components and a Dana 44 or bigger is the way you do that.
Pretty much this hillz.
do it once and right, even if it takes awhile.
My jeep hasn't wheeled in nearly 2 years.
Because I've wanted to do it all at once though....
You wouldn't believe how much stuff I have had sitting in the shed, up until last week
Its finally at the shop getting work done.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417590028070.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417590028070.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
When you make your products in China, you can afford to sell them for less. If I could guess, they can probably help to offset the cost of taxes and tariff this way.

Rockhard posted this yesterday and it kinda seems appropriate right about now lol
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417618612.364977.jpg .

Yeahright

:)
Hey hillz just found this on Murchison products page, http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/shop/dynatrac-prorock-44-jk-axle-housing

Might be worth looking into.
As tdkrawler said even if you have wait a little longer and just buy the axle piece buy piece.

Hillz, if you are considering purchasing from this company I just want you know tha I have attempted to buy from them in the past, my experiance is if you are not willing to drop big dollars they will not try to keep you as a customer. Not to mention they are very expensive. After an accident I was not even able to get replacement shock for an AEV lift kit, which they sell, and I have spoken to people who have ordered gear from them and waited 6 months for nothing, and ended up getting a refund and trying elsewhere.
I do not wish to spruce another company on here because I don't feel that it fair to the companies that sponsor this site, but if you look hard enough there are other companies in Oz that will help you out.

Last edited:

HILLZ

Hey hillz just found this on Murchison products page, http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/shop/dynatrac-prorock-44-jk-axle-housing

Might be worth looking into.
As tdkrawler said even if you have wait a little longer and just buy the axle piece buy piece.

Finally heard back for these guys and for the front housing, front shafts 2 x e-lockers and 2 x sets of 4.88 gears and brackets changed to suit RHD was gonna be looking at $9000 to $9300 Aus approx. inc delivery.:grayno:
would be at least march 2016 before I'd be able to pull the trigger on this.

computeruser6

Finally heard back for these guys and for the front housing, front shafts 2 x e-lockers and 2 x sets of 4.88 gears and brackets changed to suit RHD was gonna be looking at $9000 to $9300 Aus approx. inc delivery.:grayno:

Are you still going to buy a Tera30 housing? It's only slightly cheaper than a Tera44 or ProRock44. If you were going to buy a locker for the front you'd likely be getting a new carrier with it also unless it's a lunchbox locker. Combined with all of that and re-gearing I just don't understand how putting all that money into a Dana 30 makes sense. What kind of quotes are you getting for the Dana 30 work?

dunstan74

Man it sucks how expensive it is to get decent jeep parts over here! have you considered going through a freight forwarding company in the US? A mate of mine got poison spyder bumpers and armour sent over using one and it was cheaper than buying them from retailers here even with the import taxs.

HILLZ

Man it sucks how expensive it is to get decent jeep parts over here! have you considered going through a freight forwarding company in the US? A mate of mine got poison spyder bumpers and armour sent over using one and it was cheaper than buying them from retailers here even with the import taxs.

I'm gonna keep looking, will let ya know what i come up with.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked your profile and see that you're just running 35's. Is your axle housing really bent or something or, are you just trying to prepare for the future? If it's the later, I personally would recommend that you NOT buy anything and just save up until you actually need the upgrade. Trust me, you'll have plenty of notice and you can drive around with a bent housing for a LONG time - ask me how I know. This way, if you never need it like I would imagine would be the case, you have all that extra money in your pocket. And, if you ever do need one, you'll have more money to do it right instead of buying an inferior beefed up Dana 30.

ZuidJK

I'm gonna keep looking, will let ya know what i come up with.

Just don't buy the Tera30 lol it's literally not solving any problems. It's the internal components that need to be upgraded for strength and if your on 35s you could get a lot of life out of your factory 30. You said you wanted an upgrade and in my opinion the tera30 isn't one. I went with the pr44 and have been beating the hell out of it on 37s and it's doing great, so it would be my recommendation.

Top Bottom