The Build and Adventures of Bearbait

jdofmemi

I remember seeing a ratchet strap too, so i am going to give that a shot [emoji51] View attachment 313034

I may be a bit late on this, but the strap without the caps on loosely may end up with the whole thing in the dirt.

I had better luck using a rolling head pry bar. Get it underneath the carrier and pry.

Once mine popped loose, I was able to pull the caps and shims, carefully making sure which goes where, then I was able to grab it by hand.

Careful, it's heavy and easy to drop

Jsouder53

Hooked
I may be a bit late on this, but the strap without the caps on loosely may end up with the whole thing in the dirt.

I had better luck using a rolling head pry bar. Get it underneath the carrier and pry.

Once mine popped loose, I was able to pull the caps and shims, carefully making sure which goes where, then I was able to grab it by hand.

Careful, it's heavy and easy to drop

Thank you! I was able to slowly pull it out, watching where everything goes. Now I’m just having trouble getting the seals to go in straight [emoji35]

Right... Just saying that the extra piece looks like it may slip inside of the seal to the left of it. The one above looks like it has the same "sleeve" for lack of a better term.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I think you are right on that, thank you for all of the support!

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
Image1540078191.520843.jpg unfortunately I destroyed one of my new inner axle seals, so I went ahead and reused an old (non leaky) seal... stupid of me. Hopefully it gets me by until a regear!

WJCO

Meme King
I think I punched out something extra with the axle seals... the piece to the right of the seal cane out of the driver side

First of all, shine a light in both axle tubes to make sure all of the plastic guide washers are out ( this is a reply to your earlier post about one of the axle shafts not having any on the shaft). Make sure no guide washers got stuck in the housing.

As far as this picture of the seals, someone recently had a thread like this and there were two designs of the axle seals and one of them was like a two-piece seal. I'll try to find the thread.

Here it is: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/54132-Inner-axle-seal-experimenting

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
First of all, shine a light in both axle tubes to make sure all of the plastic guide washers are out ( this is a reply to your earlier post about one of the axle shafts not having any on the shaft). Make sure no guide washers got stuck in the housing.

As far as this picture of the seals, someone recently had a thread like this and there were two designs of the axle seals and one of them was like a two-piece seal. I'll try to find the thread.

Here it is: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/54132-Inner-axle-seal-experimenting

Thanks for that thread! I hope I have it back together properly [emoji51] since everything is pretty closed up... we will find out! And were those plastic guide clips not supposed to stay in to guide the shaft back in?

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Thanks for that thread! I hope I have it back together properly [emoji51] since everything is pretty closed up... we will find out! And were those plastic guide clips not supposed to stay in to guide the shaft back in?

They should’ve been used on the axle shaft when you reinstalled the shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King

Did you ensure that the bearing caps are back on the same side and in the same position? This is how ours was marked:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...in-Re-gearing-a-JK-Doing-your-own-re-gear-DIY

Those guides are supposed to come out with the shaft but sometimes they don't. The picture below is one that stuck in the housing. If you try and push the shaft back in, it can push the guide washer into the seal and damage the seal. Make sure the guide washer is on the shaft rather than stuck in the housing.

IMG_20171022_152319_214.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
They should’ve been used on the axle shaft when you reinstalled the shafts.

Oh I see now

Did you ensure that the bearing caps are back on the same side and in the same position? This is how ours was marked:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...in-Re-gearing-a-JK-Doing-your-own-re-gear-DIY

Those guides are supposed to come out with the shaft but sometimes they don't. The picture below is one that stuck in the housing. If you try and push the shaft back in, it can push the guide washer into the seal and damage the seal. Make sure the guide washer is on the shaft rather than stuck in the housing.

View attachment 313044

Yes, the bearing caps went back on properly. I also made sure I kept track of the shims [emoji106] I just about got everything back together, I hope those guide washers and the seal are okay [emoji51] this is one project I don’t want to have to redo!

Jsouder53

Hooked
Since I don’t have the wheel ends fully back together and the fluid not filled up, I decided to re-pull the shafts and make sure those clips didn’t damage the seals and that I have the other old seal back together properly... I don’t want to get down the road and have all of my work go to shit.

jdofmemi

It's too late for you now, but for anyone else following this, it may pay to buy an extra seal, just in case this happens to you.

Jsouder53

Hooked

View attachment 313044

Here is what the inside of my axle tube looks like Image1540155163.018927.jpg it looks like maybe part of that 2 piece seal is still in there?

Edit: got it out [emoji106]

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
Well, I took it back apart to inspect my work after WJCO’s comment and the thread he posted about the stupid 2 piece seal that Jeep switched to and I didn’t realize was 2 pieces. I still had one piece stuck in the axle tube when installed the new seal causing damage to the new seal.

I also was going to install a new seal I picked up from Napa, which I got it installed but didn’t allow the size of the axle shaft to fully slide in [emoji35]. So I’m stuck to ordering new seals and waiting till later this week to finish this project...

After this whole deal, I could’ve been done if I only ordered 2 sets of seals in the beginning as a back up... I’m also getting real good at installing seals [emoji23]

JKbrick

Well, I took it back apart to inspect my work after WJCO’s comment and the thread he posted about the stupid 2 piece seal that Jeep switched to and I didn’t realize was 2 pieces. I still had one piece stuck in the axle tube when installed the new seal causing damage to the new seal.

I also was going to install a new seal I picked up from Napa, which I got it installed but didn’t allow the size of the axle shaft to fully slide in [emoji35]. So I’m stuck to ordering new seals and waiting till later this week to finish this project...

After this whole deal, I could’ve been done if I only ordered 2 sets of seals in the beginning as a back up... I’m also getting real good at installing seals [emoji23]

Did you make a tool to install the new seals?

Top Bottom