The Build and Adventures of Bearbait

sipafz

Caught the Bug
What is the easiest way to figure out bumpstop size needed?

One thing that I just realized I’ll be needing to do is bumpstops... with the RC shocks, they were internal on the shocks so I never had to mess with them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice upgrade with the gears and stuff!

A good place to start is lift = bump extension length.

From there, you can make adjustments to allow maximum up travel to keep the tires from rubbing the inner fenders and shocks from bottoming out.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’m looking at the evo bumpstops, I have a 3.5 inch lift (yields a little higher I think) should I go with a 3 inch or 4 inch bumpstop

Edit: just found Clayton Off Road bumpstops, trim able

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I run 4” Evo coils, that actually give me exactly 4” of lift on my JKU. I run winch up front and end up with a slight rake but once loaded up with tools and gear for trail running, it levels out. I run 37s with trimmed flares. Not sure what size my bumps are but, it stops my tires about 3/8” from rubbing on my cut flares at full stuff and are long enough not to bottom out my shocks [emoji108].
One tip I have for measuring bumps is to pretend the rubber factory stops in the frame are not even even there. Measure form the metal perch where they insert into the frame, to the bump you are adding on the axle. Those rubber bumps will smush all the way down in certain situations. Compare that measurement to how much up travel you have left in your shocks.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I run 4” Evo coils, that actually give me exactly 4” of lift on my JKU. I run winch up front and end up with a slight rake but once loaded up with tools and gear for trail running, it levels out. I run 37s with trimmed flares. Not sure what size my bumps are but, it stops my tires about 3/8” from rubbing on my cut flares at full stuff and are long enough not to bottom out my shocks [emoji108].
One tip I have for measuring bumps is to pretend the rubber factory stops in the frame are not even even there. Measure form the metal perch where they insert into the frame, to the bump you are adding on the axle. Those rubber bumps will smush all the way down in certain situations. Compare that measurement to how much up travel you have left in your shocks.

Thank you for that knowledge! I will definitely do that [emoji106] just ordered some bumpstops that you can trim down

Jsouder53

Hooked
Just got the other 2 shocks in! Going to install them tomorrow after work so we have a smooth ride to Glacier National Park this weekend!

So this week I have time to install the shocks, but don’t have time to mess with the bumpstops...

I’m 90% sure I know the answer to this question, is it okay to run without bumpstops even though I’m not going to be flexing or going on any trails?

Jsouder53

Hooked
Got the new shocks installed!!!! Except for one rear upper bolt... the nut was partially stripped [emoji849] gotta get a tap set tomorrow.. I think it started stripping because of one of my dumbass friends who helped me out last time I worked on the Jeep.

JKbrick

Just got the other 2 shocks in! Going to install them tomorrow after work so we have a smooth ride to Glacier National Park this weekend!

So this week I have time to install the shocks, but don’t have time to mess with the bumpstops...

I’m 90% sure I know the answer to this question, is it okay to run without bumpstops even though I’m not going to be flexing or going on any trails?

I would think too that if your not flexing it out you shouldn’t need bump stops

sipafz

Caught the Bug

You’ll be fine without them.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think next summer my wife and I will be making a trip to ORE since all the shops in our area are ridiculously priced for gears and any other kind of work. Might as well make a road trip out of it and have the best shop work on our Jeep!

Great plan! It would be so easy to get in way too deep if I brought my Jeep there. Thank goodness it is 2k miles away

Jsouder53

Hooked
Great plan! It would be so easy to get in way too deep if I brought my Jeep there. Thank goodness it is 2k miles away

Absolutely! I’m glad it’s a long trip to get there! It will be good to ask them a million questions too and have them work on my suspension, getting it set perfectly. Once they are done with it, I won’t touch it for a loooooooooong time lol

Jsouder53

Hooked
Image1532223267.526407.jpg Image1532223279.460409.jpg Image1532223289.710116.jpg

Loving these new shocks already! Feels like I aired down a little!

Didn’t make it to Glacier this weekend since they don’t allow dogs on the trails [emoji35] so I’ll be installing at least the front bump stops tomorrow

Top Bottom