The build of my flag ship Black Pearl

black pearl

Hooked
FYI, it's just a little over $200 for the Rock Hard upgraded cross member.

I have mine here, waiting for some time to put it in.

My factory one looks worse than yours, not sure what else I will find wrong when I pull it out

I have looked at those, but with it buried under skids now not sure it’s necessary.
It’s actually kinda funny. When I put the skids on I was Abel to get the crossmember to flatten back out when I bolted it up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Glad to see you got it all back together! Let’s hope you won’t be taking that transmission back apart any time soon! Lol

black pearl

Hooked
Glad to see you got it all back together! Let’s hope you won’t be taking that transmission back apart any time soon! Lol
Yeah I really hope this is the last time for a good while!! 🤪

It’s got to feel good to have it back together -again- good work, and a much deserved [emoji482]!!

I was starting to have withdrawals having it down the last week. Thank you! 🤙

I’ll weigh it and see

Awesome thank you!!

black pearl

Hooked
So the saga continues 🤦*♀️. All the clutch noises are gone. But apparently it was coming from more then just the clutch. One sound is still present, it’s either coming from the transmission or transfer case. It’s a rotational knocking on deceleration with clutch engaged. Once I push the clutch in it stops. 🤷*♀️

Jsouder53

Hooked
So the saga continues 🤦*♀️. All the clutch noises are gone. But apparently it was coming from more then just the clutch. One sound is still present, it’s either coming from the transmission or transfer case. It’s a rotational knocking on deceleration with clutch engaged. Once I push the clutch in it stops. 🤷*♀️

Oh no! So does this mean what I think it does???

A.J.

That sounds like a pinion bearing from the description. Sound travels up the driveline. If you can lift it up and run it safely you should be able to isolate it with a stethoscope. Key word SAFELY

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
Oh no! So does this mean what I think it does???
Possibly... [emoji23][emoji17]
That sounds like a pinion bearing from the description. Sound travels up the driveline. If you can lift it up and run it safely you should be able to isolate it with a stethoscope. Key word SAFELY

I was going to pull the rear driveline and see if it changes. It still does it with the front driveline out.

black pearl

Hooked

Yeah this.

Just pulled the rear driveline and it stopped [emoji17]. I think I can still just faintly hear it but not the loud knocking like it was.

black pearl

Hooked
Damn! Sorry to hear this man. At least you are home and not on the trail finding this all out the hard way.[emoji106]

That is the plus side!!
I’m hoping to get this stuff sorted out quickly. I’m supposed to go camping this coming weekend, and volunteering to clean up at a local OHV park the following weekend.
Or I take the new Jeep camping and tent camp instead. This is probably a better idea then trying to rush something like this.
Well really I should fully diagnose the rear axle first. Boy am I glad I love this jeep and don’t mind wrenching on it.

A.J.

So I guess I’ll pull the diff cover tomorrow.

What parts besides the pinon bearing are needed for this. It’s been several years since I did any gear work.

If your lucky it's just the smaller outer pinion bearing ( which is most common ) If you pull the yolk and seal you can get it out without even pulling the cover. You won't have to change anything shims or set up wise. You will need to mark the nut/yolk and shaft before you loosen the nut so you tighten the nut back to the exact same location without crushing the sleeve more and adding preload. It's the same instructions for replacing a pinion seal or 1350 yolk except your replacing the bearing too. If it doesn't fix it then it's time to pull the cover.

black pearl

Hooked
If your lucky it's just the smaller outer pinion bearing ( which is most common ) If you pull the yolk and seal you can get it out without even pulling the cover. You won't have to change anything shims or set up wise. You will need to mark the nut/yolk and shaft before you loosen the nut so you tighten the nut back to the exact same location without crushing the sleeve more and adding preload. It's the same instructions for replacing a pinion seal or 1350 yolk except your replacing the bearing too. If it doesn't fix it then it's time to pull the cover.

I’m starting to wonder if I missed the mark when I installed my rear driveline. I was pretty sure I got it right to where it was supposed to be. With my resistance torque and ft lbs on the nut. But maybe I made a mistake some place.

I’ll take a peek in that way first and see what I find. I may pull the cover anyways , it’s about inspection time anyway.

Top Bottom