The building of Bison

wjtstudios

Hooked
It looks massive hanging off the back of the Jeep! Did you get it up there by yourself or do you need help? I can get my 37 up there but it's a chore. I found if I use my workshop stool and get it up there it's pretty simple to get it on the rest of the way. Course you can't do that on the roadside or trail :crazyeyes:

I'm curious to see how you're gonna trim your rear bumper. Are you going to shorten it too or just trim the ends that wrap around?

I had an old desk sitting in the garage that was 30” tall. That and a 2x4 it was at just about the right height. I just used the 2x4 to leverage it up a bit and it slid right on. Road side, I could get the spare down, but the flats not going back up! It’ll find a home in the back seat unless I have help.

The plan right now is to take off the tube corner off as well as the water tanks. I’ll leave the D ring mounts, the cross member and the spare tire mount as is for now and test it before I modify further.

The Rockhard bars will clear, so I am good there. They just need to be re-powder coated.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I don’t know how you guys get those 40s up there! I about died putting a 35 up. I rolled it up and onto my hitch stinger then only had to pick it up a few inches

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Squat it is what I do. Bear hug that pig a pick it up. Awkward but worked. Doing shit like that rsvalso why I’m on second knee surgery

wjtstudios

Hooked
Squat it is what I do. Bear hug that pig a pick it up. Awkward but worked. Doing shit like that rsvalso why I’m on second knee surgery

Ahhh..yup.

Most of us are built like 6’5” Vikings either.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

The hardest part is being able to get low enough to be able to wrap your arms around it. My 40 isn’t that heavy, it’s just awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
Mounting a 37/40" spare is like

download.jpg

Ovie's right - the hardest part is bearhugging it and getting it off the ground. On the EVO carrier you have to make sure it's braced against something or someones
holding it. If not, you have to hit a moving target, which sucks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - I'm a small guy and can do it. All you need to do is grab the tire from the side, position it up against your knee and then use your whole body as a counter weight to heave it up and hook the inside of the wheel on top of the mount. From there, you can re-position yourself so that you can bear hug the tire with the mounting holes close to being at eye level and that'll help you to get it mounted on the studs. :crazyeyes:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m guess it’s all about technique. I’ll get some practice at the next tire rotation. That puppy’s going to be up there for awhile now!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

J&k_Overland

Could be just me but it looks easier on a JK than my WJ. My mount is awesome but it’s up there a lil bit. Took it off in Moab last year and about died sticking it back on.
88179D5A-420C-4D74-9420-CA2062A65A21.jpg

A.J.

LOL - I'm a small guy and can do it. All you need to do is grab the tire from the side, position it up against your knee and then use your whole body as a counter weight to heave it up and hook the inside of the wheel on top of the mount. From there, you can re-position yourself so that you can bear hug the tire with the mounting holes close to being at eye level and that'll help you to get it mounted on the studs. :crazyeyes:

You should do a video on it. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

Mounting a 37/40" spare is like

View attachment 342001

Ovie's right - the hardest part is bearhugging it and getting it off the ground. On the EVO carrier you have to make sure it's braced against something or someones
holding it. If not, you have to hit a moving target, which sucks.
Lol, I learned that hard way. The Genright one I had has a stop lock that stops the carrier at 90ish degrees. The first time I threw my 37s on the Evo one it just kept moving back and I just kept following it until I blew out my O-ring. Now I know to strap it up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

This^^
I worked at Discount tire for a couple years and found this as one of the easiest methods.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom