The Butters JK Build

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Lookin good! Solid setup for sure, now time to get wheelin.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I know! Trying to get the breaking in done for the SMORR run at the end of the month.
I’m O! Like o shit!

Lol
So much of this on my bucket list. Awesome machine.

Looks great!

Thanks!

Stotch

Caught the Bug
So I was cutting some new end links to length following the instructions and it ended up being 0.25" short. DAMN IT. I know I measured and followed the directions. So I measured a link a hadn't cut yet:
IMG_20180817_191637.jpg
Since when does 12 1/2 = 12.75 JKS?!?!? Mother fucker! I'm taking a break. Where's a beer?!

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I bet they will send you a new one

Yeah maybe... I just hate making mistakes. I cooled off and just backed both ends out two turns and it should be fine for now. The other three corners are cut exactly to length. I might email them and see if they'll send out another rod to get it right.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I also found out while I was under the Jeep today that the PR44 doesn't have a diff drain... Bummer.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Gives you a chance to check gears more often, won’t take too much longer. The permatex Right stuff is pretty handy

True. That's what I used on the WJ. It is pretty good stuff. Just surprised they didn't take the more convenient approach. I'm mostly annoyed that all my 5/16 sockets are 6 point instead of 12 for the diff cover LOL! Maybe they were trying to increase strength on the diff underside?...

It's not like it's a real frequent occurence anyway.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
The axle looks awesome! Congrats!

For the lack of a drain, it’s best to drop the cover, but for a quick fluid swap after a wet trail run, I have a liqui vac that has been great. Image1534682210.895053.jpg
I’ll get 99% if the oil out of the diff. It clears most of it out immediately, then you have to let it sit for about s half hour to let the rest drain out of the locker, then hit it again. But I still drop both covers and clean both diff once or twice a year.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I emailed JKS today and the customer service was top notch. Within an hour they had emailed me back and said they'd fix the instructions and send out a new connecting rod today. :thumb:

The axle looks awesome! Congrats!

For the lack of a drain, it’s best to drop the cover, but for a quick fluid swap after a wet trail run, I have a liqui vac that has been great.
I’ll get 99% if the oil out of the diff. It clears most of it out immediately, then you have to let it sit for about s half hour to let the rest drain out of the locker, then hit it again. But I still drop both covers and clean both diff once or twice a year.

Thanks! Nice tip, I hadn't thought of one of those. I have a little hand pump, but I knew I didn't want to use that if I don't have to; it leaks like crazy.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I'm running behind on breaking in the axles... I'm still under 300 miles and I'm taking it out to SMORR Saturday. Should I change the oil before I go even if it's not 500 miles yet? Or just wait until after SMORR and change it then? Or try and cram 200+ miles in the next few days. I'm sure I've gotten in enough heat cycles that it wont break. I'm just on the fence for the gear oil change. Maybe I'm overthinking it :crazyeyes:

And just because I have a hard time not stopping and taking a picture every time I get in:
front.jpg

I got the new connecting rod in the mail too. Thank you JKS!

bmkrinne

I would put another 200 miles on it in the next few evenings and then change the fluid before going to SMORR. I would want to let the gears finish their wear in period while being fairly lightly loaded in a controlled manor. Then change the fluid to get rid of the particulate before putting them under high stress. I’m so damned OCD though.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I vote wait until after SMORR to change the diff fluid.

Yeah the guys at the 4x4 shop seemed to think it was optional... They said the diff oil is never changed that early from the factory with a brand new Jeep. Which is a good point, but this isn't a stock set of warrantied gears either...

How many miles do you think you will be putting on going to SMORR? If it’s only a few hundred I wouldn’t worry about it. Just take it easy

Probably a couple hundred or less. 42 miles each way on the highway then whatever we end up doing on the trails, maybe 50 miles?

I would put another 200 miles on it in the next few evenings and then change the fluid before going to SMORR. I would want to let the gears finish their wear in period while being fairly lightly loaded in a controlled manor. Then change the fluid to get rid of the particulate before putting them under high stress. I’m so damned OCD though.

My tendencies tell me the same thing and I'm going to try, I just don't know if it'll get to 500 in time. I looked this morning and it was at 307 mi on the new gears. That's three evenings to put on 193 miles... If I change it before it'll probably be around 400 miles.

I'm leaning toward changing it after and just not doing any crazy hard trails. There's a couple of stock-ish Jeeps in the SMORR group anyway I think.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Congrats on the Prorock, looks good.
I personally would change the diff fluid before the trip. This way you can inspect the gears and check for any big metal shavings. I believe when gears are broken in they create a whole bunch of tiny tiny shavings, giving your diff fluid a metallic/milky tint. I would want to get all of that stuff out before putting any major load onto the new gears.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I personally would change the diff fluid before the trip. This way you can inspect the gears and check for any big metal shavings. I believe when gears are broken in they create a whole bunch of tiny tiny shavings, giving your diff fluid a metallic/milky tint. I would want to get all of that stuff out before putting any major load onto the new gears.

Probably not bad advice and I've read similar things.

So... 2 votes for before and 2 votes for after and my vote is still the tie breaker... I guess I'll just see how many miles I'm at on Friday night. I'm a professional procrastinator.

Congrats on the Prorock, looks good.

Thanks!

Top Bottom