The Deuce

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Couple minor mods. Traded out the stock radio antenna for the cb style. Went with 24 inches, still sits below the windshield and gets great reception. Added some shackle washers from daystar just to see if they would help keep them from moving around. After putting them on you can definitely notice they don't have as much movement. Lastly I found some inexpensive ac knob covers to satisfy the mall crawler in me. 20180625_200457.jpg 20180625_200435.jpg 20180625_200556.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Big visual difference for a small investment. Factory wheels are too far in for my tastes. I like the way it looks , much better now.
Thanks. I wasnt sure if I was going to like it and was surprised I ran into difficulty with the aftermarket wheels but it's growing on me.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I've been playing around trying to figure out a little vibration in the Jeep and steering wheel while driving above 50mph. So far I've adjusted my toe and straightened my steering but didn't seem to help much. I decided to take it in and balance the tires and look at the specs on the alignment rack. They mentioned that my tie rod ends weren't at the same length. One end was out farther than the other end so they fixed that and it does seem to drive smoother. I don't get vibrations in the Jeep but the steering still shakes just a little. My caster is around 3 degrees according to the alignment. Is this where I should go aftermarket front lower control arms? Or geo brackets? On a side note, no more oil leaks! 20180710_063119.jpg

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I would get all the bolts torqued to spec. Also try a different tire shop for balancing. One time I got my 37s balanced 3 times within 2 weeks and they couldn’t get it right. Went to a different Discount tire store and they got it on the first try, I go there since, spot on every time. No more shakes in the steering wheel.
I believe you want your caster at 4.2degrees. I don’t think it would cause any wobbles or vibrations, just flighty steering. I personally still run AEV drop brackets, which are one of the very few things I got left from their lift. Not happy about torquing those things down every now and then, but they do the job for now. On the rear, of you have aftermarket double Cardin style drive shaft, you want to set your pinion angle inline with the driveshaft. If it’s off too much it might cause vibration and premature failure of ujoint. I did core 4x4 upper CAs to correct my pinion angle in the rear.

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I would get all the bolts torqued to spec. Also try a different tire shop for balancing. One time I got my 37s balanced 3 times within 2 weeks and they couldn’t get it right. Went to a different Discount tire store and they got it on the first try, I go there since, spot on every time. No more shakes in the steering wheel.
I believe you want your caster at 4.2degrees. I don’t think it would cause any wobbles or vibrations, just flighty steering. I personally still run AEV drop brackets, which are one of the very few things I got left from their lift. Not happy about torquing those things down every now and then, but they do the job for now. On the rear, of you have aftermarket double Cardin style drive shaft, you want to set your pinion angle inline with the driveshaft. If it’s off too much it might cause vibration and premature failure of ujoint. I did core 4x4 upper CAs to correct my pinion angle in the rear.

It's so hard to find a good tire shop! I'll branch out and look for another to see if that's the issue. This shop has at least 3 jeep guys and they actually torq to spec unlike a couple other places I've used that just impact them on. I've checked the track bar bolts and the driver side was off just a tad. It's a little strange because the vibrations don't always happen and they don't always happen at the same speed.

I was thinking of ypgrading the control arms but my steering is pretty solid and I don't really have anything that resembles flighty. I have the evo leveling kit with 3/4 spacer in the rear. No aftermarket driveshafts right now. Perhaps I'll just run it until my next tire rotation and see if it worsens.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I would still torque all the suspension components bolts. I do mine every 6 months, not just the track bars but everything including steering links. I read that mud tires could cause vibrations if not properly balanced or when they start to wear out. Not sure if that’s the case for you. Next time you feel the vibrations, pop the transmission on Neutral to see if it goes away, if it does it’s drivetrain related.
I had pretty bad vibrations when my front drive shaft failed. What you can do is lift up your Jeep just so the wheels are off the ground and spin your driveshafts, make sure you keep your hand on the shaft the whole time to see if you can feel any skipping/knocking.
This is where my front shaft failed.
IMG_3502.jpg

As far as balancing I purchased certificates form discount tire, even though I didn’t buy the tires from them. The cost of the certificates will vary by the tire, mine was like $260 for my 37s KM2s. I have lifetime rotations and balancing till the tires are bald and if you damage the tire beyond repair they’ll replace it. It paid for itself pretty quick with all the balancing I’ve been doing.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I would still torque all the suspension components bolts. I do mine every 6 months, not just the track bars but everything including steering links. I read that mud tires could cause vibrations if not properly balanced or when they start to wear out. Not sure if that’s the case for you. Next time you feel the vibrations, pop the transmission on Neutral to see if it goes away, if it does it’s drivetrain related.
I had pretty bad vibrations when my front drive shaft failed. What you can do is lift up your Jeep just so the wheels are off the ground and spin your driveshafts, make sure you keep your hand on the shaft the whole time to see if you can feel any skipping/knocking.
This is where my front shaft failed.
View attachment 305649

As far as balancing I purchased certificates form discount tire, even though I didn’t buy the tires from them. The cost of the certificates will vary by the tire, mine was like $260 for my 37s KM2s. I have lifetime rotations and balancing till the tires are bald and if you damage the tire beyond repair they’ll replace it. It paid for itself pretty quick with all the balancing I’ve been doing.

Wish they had a deal like that around here with the lifetime balancing, would definitely jump on that.
I'll check everything this weekend to see if I can find anything wrong, thanks for all the tips.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Wish they had a deal like that around here with the lifetime balancing, would definitely jump on that.
I'll check everything this weekend to see if I can find anything wrong, thanks for all the tips.

I believe they do. Once you purchase the certificates, they are valid in any Discount Tire store. Also they don’t just run your lugs in with an impact anymore. Discount tire got a lot better at torquing. They have a few step process, I’ve watched them do it.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked

I just did that for the tires on my scrambler. I had bought them a couple years back from a local tire shop. When Discount tire put my new wheels on this weekend and they transferred the older tires onto them I bought the protection plan for them. It was $240 for all five. Worth every penny. Only thing is they check the tread life of the tire prior to issuing it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I believe they do. Once you purchase the certificates, they are valid in any Discount Tire store. Also they don’t just run your lugs in with an impact anymore. Discount tire got a lot better at torquing. They have a few step process, I’ve watched them do it.
Unfortunately there are no discount tire places around me just yet. They would have at least 1 guaranteed customer!

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Tires are out of balance. Tire Engineers, and Firestone couldn’t get it right. I was about to try Big Ten, but I traded it.

Gotcha. Yea I went to tire engineers this time. I may try big 10 next then. They were able to balance my last ones but they like to torque with an impact.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Took off my jeep logo and repainted it. Tried to match the Rubicon black with red trim. 20180715_233941.jpg

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Touched up my faded hood latches and fenders with some paint and painted the underside of the LOD sliders. 20180723_064726.jpg

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I like what you did with the sliders.
Thanks. I've been thinking if I want to touch the wheels but I think I like it better machined and I doubt I'd want to repaint it everytime I go wheeling.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Finally got my vibrations fixed in my steering. It was in fact the balance. Only took 3 shops. Oh well, at least I now have a new shop and its closer to the house.
Had a chance to get under the hood and install the trailrocker system dillard09 sent me, thanks again. Ordered up the daystar switch panel for the a pillar and waiting for that to finish up. 20180809_200635.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Finally got my vibrations fixed in my steering. It was in fact the balance. Only took 3 shops. Oh well, at least I now have a new shop and its closer to the house.
Had a chance to get under the hood and install the trailrocker system dillard09 sent me, thanks again. Ordered up the daystar switch panel for the a pillar and waiting for that to finish up. View attachment 308436

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Which shop got them balanced?

Top Bottom