The DREAD for RED Loctite?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On a somewhat regular basis, I get people commenting on a number of our videos where I call for and or show the use of RED Loctite. Of course, the reason for them to chime in is to question or even chastise me for using it. The following is an example that just came in on our drive shaft installation video and it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 060635.png

As you can see in my response, I have been using RED Loctite on all the vehicles that I've worked on and for over 25 years now and I can honestly say, I have NEVER had a problem removing ANY bolt or nut with it on. I mean, EVER! And, this is not to say that there isn't a place for BLUE but when it comes to things like drive shafts, brakes, knuckles or anything that's really important and or might get really hot, I want to do everything I can to make sure they stay put.

That said, I'm really left to wonder, where in the hell did this crazy DREAD for RED Loctite come from? Have any of these people ever used the stuff? Do you avoid RED like the plague too and if so, is it based on actual experience?

I don't know, maybe I'm the crazy one here 🤪

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been using it for 30 years both at work and home no issues. if you slather a bolt with it maybe but a little heat and no problem.
I think some people just love to bitch
EXACTLY!! And if anything, I really really hate the way the factory slathers on the blue especially if you're working with hand tools. It just forces you to put so much effort into ratcheting a bolt off. A drop of red will get the same job done and once it's cracked, the bolt in question can be threaded off a lot easier.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
24 years in automotive for me. I didn't even know blue locktite existed until a few years after being in the field. I thought all locktite was red. Honestly nowadays with high powered tools, red locktite is far from permanent.
LOL - same for me! It was only until I started getting internet experts on YouTube chastising me for using red that I realized that people actually used blue.

kevman65

Hooked
Like Kleenex, Coke, and Kotex, people know a brand name and call all of it by that name.

There are several brands of thread locker. In some industrial applications red thread locker IS permanent. Heat won't help breaking it free. Most times when the threads are broken free, some of them are missing.

Because people DON'T pay attention and think all brands are the same, they get this permanent thread locker and fuck up their stuff.

Plus, if you use an entire bottle on one bolt going the full length of threads (factory) it tends to make life a bitch.
4 out of 6 of my body bolts were like this.

I have and use both, but mostly red - only because growing up I thought that's all Loctite came in thanks to my dad and grandfather telling me so lol. I pretty much use whatever I grab first when I reach into the toolbox... I've had a stubborn bolt stuck with Loctite multiple times - both colors. Never even fathomed there's a measurable difference between the two. That's what heat, a wrench, and a hammer is for. 😂

jeeeep

Hooked
I've always used red, I tried blue on the JK driveshaft until I heard a clicking noise and after a full search, realized the DS bolts had worked loose.
Red, a drop goes a long way; if you drown the fastener with it then yes, it's harder to remove and heat will be required (a grill lighter works well in a pinch).

CalSgt

Hooked
Like Kleenex, Coke, and Kotex, people know a brand name and call all of it by that name.

There are several brands of thread locker. In some industrial applications red thread locker IS permanent. Heat won't help breaking it free. Most times when the threads are broken free, some of them are missing.

Because people DON'T pay attention and think all brands are the same, they get this permanent thread locker and fuck up their stuff.

Plus, if you use an entire bottle on one bolt going the full length of threads (factory) it tends to make life a bitch.
4 out of 6 of my body bolts were like this.
This ^^^^

I think some of the different manufacturers colors don’t match up to the Permatex and Loctite standards. I have a few old bottles of Cat brand threadlocker that is permanent.

I glanced over at my dad when we were working on something and noticed he was using Green stuff… He wasn’t paying attention and grabbed my tube of “sleeve retainer” instead of threadlocker. That stuff is permanent too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding the typical internet expert, do you really think they would even know where to buy something other than Permatex or Loctite?

kevman65

Hooked
Regarding the typical internet expert, do you really think they would even know where to buy something other than Permatex or Loctite?
Yup, do a search for thread locker on the interwebz, buy the first thing that pops up and BAM, it's industrial level stuff.

Like I said, people don't pay attention and assume it's all the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, do a search for thread locker on the interwebz, buy the first thing that pops up and BAM, it's industrial level stuff.

If you say so. I just did that on Amazon, where I would expect most people to shop other than their local auto parts store and got this...
Screenshot 2024-05-04 114259.png

Anything on the drivetrain will get red loctite, from a little to a lot depending on importance like brake caliber adapter or axle nuts. Small fasteners that aren’t important but tend to loosen due to vibration will get blue if it doesn’t already have a nylock nut.

kevman65

Hooked
There are three separate formulas for the red Loctite alone.

Loctite used to make it REAL fun, they had commercial strength and industrial strength. Thankfully they stopped that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There are three separate formulas for the red Loctite alone.

Loctite used to make it REAL fun, they had commercial strength and industrial strength. Thankfully they stopped that.
LOL - That's good and all but I think you've missed the point that NONE of these internet experts have used or are using ANY of it. If they had or do, they would actually know the difference between them, just like you do.

Top Bottom