The Extractor - A Snake Bite Kit that Works!!

I refer to mine as a "snake bite repair kit"

I honestly don't see the harm that the suction with this device could be worse than doing nothing. I work in R&D for a medical device co that does blood based assays. While I am a Dr I am not that kind of a Dr (Md). However based on my understanding of physiology I would use this even in my back yard.

I think most of the dangers associated with snake bite repair kits is in regards to the old ones which used a razor blade and trusted the inflicted person to make an incision at the bite location to bleed out the venom. This led to people not knowing how deep to cut causing more damage and ultimately making things worse.

Yes maybe it is the "cut and suck" ones I was thinking of... THOSE ARE BAD!!! right...??? :thinking:

FoxC

Yes maybe it is the "cut and suck" ones I was thinking of... THOSE ARE BAD!!! right...??? :thinking:

I grew up in Texas and that was the rule..."cut and suck". I guess we'er outdated. :idontknow:
We are moving to house on the edge of town and it backs up to the desert. Last owner had 2 dogs bitten out behind the house so this subject is on my mind.

Rivertoys

I heard Chuck Norris got bit by a Cobra, and after 5 days of excruciating pain.... the snake died!

yup.gif

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I own three extractor kits, but I'm with Moochie on this. All of the empirical evidence I have read over the years has led me to the same conclusion: there is no medical proof that the extractor provides real benefit in most circumstances. I believe at one point the inventor even had to retract some of his claims because the extractor failed to extract venom at all on most areas of the body.

So why do I have the kits? Old habits die hard and I'd probably still give it a shot if I was too far away to get medical attention within a reasonable amount of time. Who knows, maybe the thought that it is working would act as a placebo and slow my heart rate enough to save my life.

Tackerdown

Banned
If there is a chance it works there is a chance you won't die. You decide I think I'd bet on the chance it will help. It's your life , its not am I going to have to get my winch out to get me threw this mud pit.

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

Noobicon

I worked with venomous snakes in Florida for 6 years. Out of the 5 of us that handled them, myself and my old boss were the 2 that did not get bit. The 3 that did, well lets just say it was nasty to watch a human in that much pain, even nastier to see the damage the venom does. I'm calling the placebo affect for this kit. It may make you feel like you danced with death and got a 10 on the score card, but the damage is already done.

When bitten you have a 50/50 chance of the snake actually injecting venom. If you have crap luck and it decides to inject venom, it is already in the blood stream. Best thing to do is keep the person calm, immobilized and in the shade. Anti venom is your only hope, that is fact. I will guarantee the guy that used this kit was still administered anti venom at the hospital, that is what saved his life.

All rattlesnakes will "rattle" to warn you are too close, adhere to the warning and move back the same way you came will help avoid being bitten. The cottonmouth in my experience is the most dangerous venomous snake in the US. It is aggressive, will actually chase to bite on land and in water. An adult cottonmouth can store enough venom in its glands to inject a dose that would kill 17 adults. If you get bit by a big cottonmouth, you got very little time and it will bite repeatedly. Rattlesnakes will typically bite once and then defend in a coil.

Situational awareness and common sense will be of more value in the field than that bite kit. Just my opinion of course but GPS coordinates and an emergency beacon like SPOT are invaluable in the field and can bring a rescue chopper right on top of you so they can get you to anti venom, save the 10 bucks for a few cold ones after hospital stay :doh:

Prime8

I think you'd be better off carrying a shaman and witch doctor with you on the trail. If you want to rely on pseudoscience to save your life, at least use the kind with a bigger, better show! Considering most poisonous snakes bite with many multiple times the amount of venom to kill a person, you would have to get the vast majority of the venom out to save your life, not just some of it. Sounds like a money grab to me, but then again, I am a skeptic when it comes to fringe science stuff like this...

MTG

Caught the Bug
For those that are anti-suck...

Do you drink the turpentine WHILE handling the serpents or is that done at a separate time and place? I can never remember. :idontknow: :cheesy:

Top Bottom