The Maintaining and Building of Jan the WJ

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Just caught up on the progress you've been making with Jan. Hopefully the clunking sound turns out to be an easy fix. What tires did you end up going with?

Me too, but I doubt it with this ol' girl lol 245/70R17 DuraTracs Should be ready next week sometime.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Well, here's how she's sitting now:
wjFront.jpg
Looks like I'll have to do a little trimming after all...
wjTireClearance.jpg
Added some horsepower to help with the larger tires too :brows:
wjRear.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I did some cutting last night, here's how it looks this morning:
WjCut.jpg
WjSide.jpg
I'm still a little worried about the fog light, especially on the driver's side. The bulb was burnt out anyway and there's moisture in the housing so I just pulled the bulb and zip tied the wires back into the bumper for now. Here's a good picture of how close it is (before I finished trimmming):
fogLightDriver.jpg

Before lift & shoes:
before.jpg
After:
After.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Came out nice :thumb:

Thanks!

I think it may still rub with some articulation, I'll have to get it out and see this fall. I tested it as good as I could with the floor jack, but it's not the same as actually being in the rocks.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I think I found the electrical problem. All it took was waiting for it to get worse, then I found it lol. My passenger side doors both stopped working, no locks, no windows, and the interior lights wouldn't turn off. So I tore into the door harnesses and found this on both sides:
DoorHarness.jpg
This was the driver's side, the passenger side was an orange wire that was broken. I soldered and shrink wrapped them together and it seems I am all good now :D

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Checked the rear doors today, found one more severed wire (speaker wire I think) and three more freyed. Also had the battery tested and it passed so I put it on the trickle charger. We'll see if this clears it all up or not... hope so. I'm getting tired of electrical work and soldering.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Well, no more dead batteries so far! :fingerscrossed:

I replaced the entire rear control arm with new bushings pre-installed. One of the bushings that I pressed in already failed. Since I just had it apart recently :doh: , the swap went really easy. :rolleyes2:

Unfortunately it didn't fix the groaning coming from the rear end. I'm starting to think it's not a suspension problem and it was just a coincidence that it showed it's face when it did. My running theory is that it's the LSD engaging in tight turns and moaning from the stress on pavement. I added some more LSD friction modifier and it seems the sound has gone! :wings: Hopefully I didn't add too much modifier (originally 4oz, added 3oz more) and cause other issues. :idontknow:

WJCO

Meme King
Well, no more dead batteries so far! :fingerscrossed:

I replaced the entire rear control arm with new bushings pre-installed. One of the bushings that I pressed in already failed.

Glad to hear the battery issue is fixed. As far as the rear bushing, I think I told you that may happen, lol. Same thing as mine, I'm leaving it for now and will likely put Mopars in at some point. At least your 2nd time when smoothly. How's the front coil repairs holding up?

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Glad to hear the battery issue is fixed. As far as the rear bushing, I think I told you that may happen, lol. Same thing as mine, I'm leaving it for now and will likely put Mopars in at some point. At least your 2nd time when smoothly. How's the front coil repairs holding up?
Yeah, lol you did. I'm a slow learner. I got real good at removing the boomerang though!

The coil perches are still solid! Really happy I did it myself.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Put on a roof rack basket this week to avoid bringing a trailer with us camping. Then we took Jan for a drive down to the Buffalo River in AR.
JanBuffalo.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Jan's been having some trouble cranking after warming up lately. It sounded like a dead battery, but I was certain the battery was good. It's relatively new and I've had it tested recently. I thought it may be the starter going bad so I pulled it and had it checked today. It failed. With flying colors. Put a new one in and it started up like a dream! Multiple times, even when warm. Hopefully that does the trick since she'll be my DD for the next few days.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
What is this and how should I stop it from leaking?:
IMG_20181105_135416.jpg
This is looking up behind the radiator. Oil cooler?

I was changing the spark plugs and noticed the line was loose running up the backside of the radiator, so I zip tied it back to the broken clamps. Then noticed the fitting on the bottom has a slow leak. I'm not sure if it was there before or if moving the line wiggled it loose. I tried tightening the fitting, but it still leaks.

WJCO

Meme King
It's part of the cooling fan. Some of them use power steering fluid for the cooling fan rather than a mechanical clutch. Mine doesn't have one so I've never had to deal with it, but I know several of the WJs did have them. Looks like it's the line itself that is leaking at the fitting.

Top Bottom