The never-ending 'wave' discussion thread

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I don't see why people get all bent out of shape over a wave. Hell I wave to strangers all the time, maybe it's a southern thing. I don't think it acknowledges any "danger" associated with the ownership vs having bikes but just an acknowledgment that you both own the best branded offroad vehicle out there! It's like a high five! Wave or don't wave, why make it a big deal it's just something fun to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jesse3638

Hooked
Coming from a motorcycle street/race track background and having owned both cruisers and sport bikes I understand the wave there. Even between cruisers and sport bikes there's a stigma between the two that you don't acknowledge each other especially if you're "hardcore".

Knowing I was going to buy a Wrangler I knew about the wave in my late teens. I rode with a buddy back in the 90's and he got super pissed when an elderly lady driving a Wrangler didn't wave and went on a 10min rant. Now that I've had my Wrangler for about two years I've accidentally waved at a few people since it was muscle memory from the motorcycles but I noticed even with Wranglers there's a stigma. You don't wave to ANY Jeep only Wranglers. Using a buddy as an example, he doesn't wave at any Wranglers that appear stock even though his has a bunch of zip tied and rusted free shit on it.

I just don't get it. The motorcycle wave was shared because you're basically acknowledging the inherent dangers or consequences of riding motorcycles and ultimately it's an unspoken bond even between bikers who don't know each other but a fucking Wrangler? High risk of roll over yes but that's nothing to wave about, hell I live in Colorado and I can't spend more than 5 seconds on the road without seeing a Wrangler. Might as well put a fake hand on the driver's mirror.

I refuse to give in and I can't be the only one! Out on the trail I'll wave all day regardless of the vehicle because we are both sharing the same experience but driving to Lowes I just don't care. I can't be the only one right?
I'll still wave at ya.

You're probably the minority. Vette guys wave at vette guys, rodders wave at rodders, the list goes on. As you mentioned you'll wave at who ever on the trail because you share the same sentiment. Same goes for the wrangler regardless of going shopping or crawling it's sharing the same sentiment. Just like the list above. Where I live, most wave as long as they are paying attention.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Torrin

I have a Vette, Raptor and 2 Jeeps, all groups wave and I always wave back. On Jeeps, I only wave at Wranglers (as it should be), but if any Jeep owner waves, I always wave back.

Shoot, in my neighborhood, everyone waves at all cars, so who cares, wave if you want, don't wave if you don't. Don't get bent out of shape if people don't wave back. In Houston, Jeepers seldom wave, in Nashville, they almost always wave.

jesse3638

Hooked
I have a Vette, Raptor and 2 Jeeps, all groups wave and I always wave back. On Jeeps, I only wave at Wranglers (as it should be), but if any Jeep owner waves, I always wave back.

Shoot, in my neighborhood, everyone waves at all cars, so who cares, wave if you want, don't wave if you don't. Don't get bent out of shape if people don't wave back. In Houston, Jeepers seldom wave, in Nashville, they almost always wave.

Now that you say it down the street from my work there is an older Asian gentlemen who wears a suit and stands by the edge of the road every evening. He is smiling ear to ear and and waving at every car which drives by. I wave at him too. Applying the OP's logic maybe I shouldn't as I'm not old, Asian, or wearing a suit when I drive by...:crazyeyes:

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Heck I wave all the time at just about everyone when I'm out in the more rural areas, cities not so much , jeep or not makes no difference to me .. I grew up in the sticks an when ta passed someone on the road ya waved .. it was more like a nice to see ya thing even if ya didnt know em .. never really understood how folks can get upset over a wave .. do or dont it's your choice but more than likely if I pass by ya I'm gonna wave

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Walter Haas

I drove a 90 Cherokee for 2 yrs to work. I would pass a lady in a Wrangler every morning. No wave. Got my Wrangler on the road first day past by her she waved.......... I was caught off guard and kinda had to laugh. Funny thing these Wranglers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Five-N9ne

You think you guys have it bad... no one waves to ZJs whatsoever, lifted or not, 9er or not. Red headed stepchildren of the Jeep fam.

Kirkwood1

I work in the Bay Area of California and driving my JKU around I maybe get 2 waves a week... most of the people here are lame and just drive a Jeep... they don’t respect the wave!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Five-N9ne

I used to get a few when I had the fiberglass fenders unpainted on my old rig. I haven’t thrown the lift under the 5.9 yet so I just blend in with every other Dustbuster SUV right now

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Haha, when I am driving the soon to be wife's "Hybrid" she makes fun of me because I always look at the other Jeeps like I am going to wave but I cant...:doh:

Every time I'm in a different car I want to wave at Jeeps I see... most of the time I don't

Top Bottom