The never-ending 'wave' discussion thread

Devallee

I just got my first Jeep, and I thought it was just a joke that fellow Jeepers wave to each other. Other than a pedestrian pointing at me for no reason at a stop sign, I haven't gotten a Jeep wave yet :idontknow:
But I'm def gonna wave to every Jeep now, even if I'm not driving in one cuz why not. Awkward schmawkward

When I first got mine I thought he was just waving because we had the same type of vehicle. I figured all other types of cars did it too. I didn't realize it was more of a "jeep lifestyle" until about a year in haha

jhires

When I first got mine I thought he was just waving because we had the same type of vehicle. I figured all other types of cars did it too. I didn't realize it was more of a "jeep lifestyle" until about a year in haha

Heard that Corvette owners do the same thing.
Most motorcyclists do the same as well.

Benz and BMW owners definitely do not. However, they will let other Benz and BMW owners merge into traffic or change lanes unlike everyone else. :D

Bigfoot

I must say in my area Jeepers are very well mannered. Right from the beginning I have gotten a wave back from almost every Wrangler. There is only that one dude that I see in the mornings who doesn't even seem to look at other Wranglers. He wears a suit and a tie on a white shirt though. I still wave at him because I simply wave at every Wrangler.

On a side note, before I moved to the US we made several field trips to the same area and I remember that on one trip the car rental talked us into renting a Wrangler because a storm was being expected and the Wrangler would be the right car go with. Whatever, man. We took the Jeep and of course we didn't get it at all until we decided to break the awkwardness and finally waved back at the other Wranglers. That was more than 3 years ago. This is how I have learned the Jeep Wave and I have respected it ever since.

jbaskin28

Awkward Jeep Wave?

I forget all the time when I'm driving my girlfriend's CRV.

She laughs, and then I start waving at CRVs. Hahaha

davantalus

I rented a JK down in Baja a while back.

Driving along a single lane salt-flat road, I pulled over to let an oncoming Rubicon roll by...

Not being jeep-indoctrinated, but currently captaining one, something flashed in my motorhead-memory... 'don't jeeps wave to each other?'

*throws three-finger wheel salute*

The burnt English looking gentleman hit me back with an out-the-top.

Great success.

SPIELUHR

Ive only gotten a few waves back im used to waving on the motorcycle so I get mixed up every now and then with what im driving lol. . . . the only thing I liked from that video was the orcal lights everything else was so sad :naw: , it really did look like a hummer from the side. . . I think someone needs to drive by and splash some mud on it to give it some dignity for what it was made for

Bessie

We try to waive. Don't always get a waive back but the kids love to try. Wife likes to say "Bessie is a looker!"

i wave at every jeep wrangler and any other jeep model that is modded for "off road", like the 2004 jeep liberty on dana 60's and 37's i saw the other day... the crap part is after a day of maybe waving at 5-8 jeeps i only get maybe 2-3 back, i love how all the "mom" driven mall crawler JK's just don't even pay attention and when they do see you they just ignore you like you did something wrong.... WTF?? is going on lately. my GF asks me "why bother if nobody waves back?" i just reply with "its a jeep thing" :idontknow:

Re: Awkward Jeep Wave?

I get weird looks from peeps who are in jeeps when I wave at them. doesn't stop me though, just keep wavin'

andrew -

Con Artist

i wave at every jeep wrangler and any other jeep model that is modded for "off road", like the 2004 jeep liberty on dana 60's and 37's i saw the other day... the crap part is after a day of maybe waving at 5-8 jeeps i only get maybe 2-3 back, i love how all the "mom" driven mall crawler JK's just don't even pay attention and when they do see you they just ignore you like you did something wrong.... WTF?? is going on lately. my GF asks me "why bother if nobody waves back?" i just reply with "its a jeep thing" :idontknow:

By the time some of these people realize they've been waved to it's probably too late for the other driver to react. If a person isn't making eye contact with you he's/she's probably not realizing you're waving to him/her.

When I do wave I make sure to do it far enough in advance I'll be seen. Most of the time I get a response. Other times, I don't get a returnes wave, but that's usually from a snot-nosed TJ owner.

Devallee

Here in Orange County there are so many mall crawlers its ridiculous. Or the worst is the spoiled kids with their fully built jeeps that never see dirt. I wave at just about every jeep I see and most of the time around here jts the mall crawlers that ignore me or look at me weird. I get more waves back from older jeepers that know a little about the jeep way of life.

Con Artist

Here in Orange County there are so many mall crawlers its ridiculous. Or the worst is the spoiled kids with their fully built jeeps that never see dirt. I wave at just about every jeep I see and most of the time around here jts the mall crawlers that ignore me or look at me weird. I get more waves back from older jeepers that know a little about the jeep way of life.

I'm a proud mall crawler and readily admit to it. I'm in Florida on vacation and there aren't anything BUT mall crawlers here. What are you gonna climb in Florida besides parking blocks?

Mall crawlers are the reason Jeeps are still being made. Yeah, they have their hardcore audience but those who do extreme offroading are few and far between. The high amount of sales to the mall crawlers keep the Wrangler in production while the offroaders keep Jeep sticking to the formula for offroad capability.

Sorry, folks, but we're all just going to have to co-exist if we want to keep the Wrangler the vehicle it is.

ssh6314

I wave at every wrangler and cj. And every modded XJ,ZJ, and WJ

I get a 80% wave return here in Washington. And the Cherokee/grand guys always wave back
Sent from my EVO-3d using WAYALIFE app.

BlackRockBurner

Awkward Jeep Wave?

I'm a proud mall crawler and readily admit to it. I'm in Florida on vacation and there aren't anything BUT mall crawlers here. What are you gonna climb in Florida besides parking blocks?

Mall crawlers are the reason Jeeps are still being made. Yeah, they have their hardcore audience but those who do extreme offroading are few and far between. The high amount of sales to the mall crawlers keep the Wrangler in production while the offroaders keep Jeep sticking to the formula for offroad capability.

Sorry, folks, but we're all just going to have to co-exist if we want to keep the Wrangler the vehicle it is.

Are you going to wave and keep the tradition? And will you take your rig off road when you have a chance? Hopefully yes on both. I get the feeling that the bad will goes to those rigs that are overly built that turn into pavement princess show toys. Since Jeeps were made to take military abuse, the idea is to use it for what it's designed for. But I agree with your point of opening the market to more buyers to keep the platform healthy. It's up to the Jeep designers to keep the Jeep a Jeep. Let them have the freedom to turn the crossovers to the mass market.

No one cares really if you take your jeep off road or not. If you put coil covers on or shocks or stay stock. The idea is to wave, plain and simple. I wave at you and you wave at me and vice versa. I could care less if you crawl the fountain at Macy's or enter KOH, if I wave, WAVE BACK! It is called common courtesy.

andrew -

Beyrgut

I live in central FL and while you are correct there isn't a crawler scene here there are plenty of trails in the Wildlife Management Area's and the countless un-sanctioned mud pits. I am still new to the whole jeep thing but it took me all of about 15 minutes to find plenty of trails within a 1-2 hour drive. I am not a fan of the mudding so my choices are limited but still there.

Back on topic I wave everytime I'm not zoned out, just a little confused on the etiquette when passing/following a fellow jeeper, wave when you overtake or when you catch them staring at another jeep in the rearvierw :).

Last edited:

Devallee

I'm not hating on the mall crawlers don't get me wrong. I just noticed that around my parts, it's those mall crawlers that don't wave back. Everybody is free to do what they want with their money. But no matter how modded or not your jeep is, I just want a wave back! Is that too much to ask for? Haha

Top Bottom