The oldest operating nuclear power plant in the US shut down for the last time today.

mstraw9379

Thanks for the update on Oyster Creek and glad you found the new job! How’s that Nuclear Promise working out? I work at the Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant in north Alabama. We’re a few years into our 20 year life extension and talks of going to 80 years here. Seems the political climate is a little friendlier in the south.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The departure from nuclear promise is going as expected. More work for less people. They are always making things easier.
Keep those southern plants going. No one else seems to be interested in them. Very short sighted decisions being made.

JK_0311

Sad day. I work at Palo Verde and we are battling a renewable energy bill right now. Solar/wind can’t support the grid effectively. Even green peace activists of yesteryear have changed their tune. France is a perfect model, (on this one very isolated topic).

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Don't be surprised when they end up turning them all back on due to all the stupid evs that will be forced down customers throats in the not distant future. When u add millions of evs they'll realize that renewables can't charge them and the power grid can't support the load. Such nearsighted regs. Ok rant over

Glad you found somewhere else to go!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_0311

Look to CA and all their wonder. They decided to move to 50% renewables, much to the demise of their last nuclear power plant in SLA county. Diablo Canyon is the largest employer in SLO county all well paying jobs.

Now, CA was trying to move to 100% renewables... but when they sat down for once and started to plan it out they realized you can’t do that. DUH! Now the bill, if I’m not mistaken, says 100% clean energy.

Sorry, I have a soft spot for Nuclear.

mstraw9379

Don't be surprised when they end up turning them all back on due to all the stupid evs that will be forced down customers throats in the not distant future. When u add millions of evs they'll realize that renewables can't charge them and the power grid can't support the load. Such nearsighted regs. Ok rant over

Glad you found somewhere else to go!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Unfortunately, that's not possible. The only option then is to build new. That takes a long time. This current trend of shutting down theses plants is extremely short sited. Once gas has the majority of baseload they will Jack the price of gas up and then everyone is screwed.

mstraw9379

Sad day. I work at Palo Verde and we are battling a renewable energy bill right now. Solar/wind can’t support the grid effectively. Even green peace activists of yesteryear have changed their tune. France is a perfect model, (on this one very isolated topic).

I have a couple friends there.

mstraw9379

Look to CA and all their wonder. They decided to move to 50% renewables, much to the demise of their last nuclear power plant in SLA county. Diablo Canyon is the largest employer in SLO county all well paying jobs.

Now, CA was trying to move to 100% renewables... but when they sat down for once and started to plan it out they realized you can’t do that. DUH! Now the bill, if I’m not mistaken, says 100% clean energy.

Sorry, I have a soft spot for Nuclear.

Not much is cleaner than nuclear.
I have a soft spot for nuclear, too. I have worked in a nuclear in some capacity since I was 18.

I’m currently working at a coal plant in ga. We’re putting in in a clean coal system now on a plant that is pushing 50 years old. At one point in time it was the largest coal burning plant in the world, now it’s just old

I’ve toured a clean coal, they’re surprisingly clean and seem pretty efficient. I hate how much people are against nuclear. It works. It’s safe when you don’t run tests and turn off all the safety system overrides like Russia...

Tanktitan

I’ve toured a clean coal, they’re surprisingly clean and seem pretty efficient. I hate how much people are against nuclear. It works. It’s safe when you don’t run tests and turn off all the safety system overrides like Russia...

You are forgetting that someone died at Three Mile Island...fleeing the media driven hysteria...in a car wreck. The only “nuclear” fatality in US history as I recall.

JK_0311

Yeah, TMI was a disaster but a disaster of lack of communication/coordination between on-site/offsite agencies. People were literally evacuating into each other.

JK_0311

I have a couple friends there.

So they know all about this movement. It would essentially be the same as California. Which isn’t doing them any favors. This is not might to offend to anyone in CA, sorry if it does.

It’s a good place to work, I’ve never been fed so many times for free by an employer.

bmkrinne

It’s all fun and games with liberal politics and the renewable push, until it’s time for the rubber to meet the road. Something has to provide the country’s baseload power and solar/wind will not do it. In the south, Nuclear, gas, hydro and coal provide the steady baseload power to the grid with the bulk from nuclear and fossil fuels. If we shut down nuclear and coal, we will be like Germany and buying power from our neighbors.

Agree with the earlier comment on EVs...where is the power coming from? That shit doesn’t generate itself at night when everyone will be charging their cars.

JK_0311

It’s all fun and games with liberal politics and the renewable push, until it’s time for the rubber to meet the road. Something has to provide the country’s baseload power and solar/wind will not do it. In the south, Nuclear, gas, hydro and coal provide the steady baseload power to the grid with the bulk from nuclear and fossil fuels. If we shut down nuclear and coal, we will be like Germany and buying power from our neighbors.

Agree with the earlier comment on EVs...where is the power coming from? That shit doesn’t generate itself at night when everyone will be charging their cars.

Good points, I hate to say it again and this really the only instance but France is actually doing the right thing in this arena.

They use primarily nuclear and supplement with renewables. Because of that they have plenty of clean energy, best air quality in Europe I believe, and still have excess to sell. Best part is, they recycle their spent nuclear fuel!! So, Nuclear kinda meets the true definition of renewable if you ask me.

jesse3638

Hooked
Good points, I hate to say it again and this really the only instance but France is actually doing the right thing in this arena.

They use primarily nuclear and supplement with renewables. Because of that they have plenty of clean energy, best air quality in Europe I believe, and still have excess to sell. Best part is, they recycle their spent nuclear fuel!! So, Nuclear kinda meets the true definition of renewable if you ask me.

Yeah unfortunately people are never content with what they have or what works. There is always a need to reinvent the wheel and try to put their mark on it like "Look at me!" CA's push for 100% clean energy is all an attempt to do that. Education, firefighting, and government comes to mind as well. Always striving to gain attention and be better than others. It makes no sense.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_0311

Yeah unfortunately people are never content with what they have or what works. There is always a need to reinvent the wheel and try to put their mark on it like "Look at me!" CA's push for 100% clean energy is all an attempt to do that. Education, firefighting, and government comes to mind as well. Always striving to gain attention and be better than others. It makes no sense.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah it was originally 100% renewable until they realized the sun doesn’t shine 24/7 and the wind doesn’t blow hard enough, and if you run hydro dams all the time you’ll drain your resource. So they changed the bill to 100% clean energy. ..

Now it’s too late though, they will have to import their energy since Diablo Canyon is closing here in the next 4/5 years. Who knows how else they will keep their grid stable or even kick start it if a major disaster strikes and their is a catastrophic grid failure.

Top Bottom