The oldest operating nuclear power plant in the US shut down for the last time today.

mstraw9379

You are forgetting that someone died at Three Mile Island...fleeing the media driven hysteria...in a car wreck. The only “nuclear” fatality in US history as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Look up SL1 Accident (1961) on YouTube. It's a very long video, but the first 10-15 minutes give a good idea of what happened there.
(I can't figure out how to post a link on my tablet)

mstraw9379

Good points, I hate to say it again and this really the only instance but France is actually doing the right thing in this arena.

They use primarily nuclear and supplement with renewables. Because of that they have plenty of clean energy, best air quality in Europe I believe, and still have excess to sell. Best part is, they recycle their spent nuclear fuel!! So, Nuclear kinda meets the true definition of renewable if you ask me.

They are trying to perfect a process now for extracting uranium from seawater. They have successfully done it, now it is a matter of making it work on the scale needed.
When that is done, nuclear will be the definition of renewable. It is estimated that they will be able to extract uranium longer than the sun is estimated to be around.

JK_0311

They are trying to perfect a process now for extracting uranium from seawater. They have successfully done it, now it is a matter of making it work on the scale needed.
When that is done, nuclear will be the definition of renewable. It is estimated that they will be able to extract uranium longer than the sun is estimated to be around.

I haven’t heard about that, that would be awesome.

There’s another deepening concern too, as we begin transition away from nuclear. I heard this at a conference a couple years back from an NEI person. As we move away from nuclear, we will begin to lose influence and networks associated with atomic energy around the world. As Russia and China are reinvesting and building new nuclear sites we are moving away from it. They are creating 50 year contracts and relationships with European companies that deal in that industry, while we disinvest.

So it has implications well outside our grid stability.

Top Bottom