The rebuild after JKX.

JKbrick

Keep me in mind when you guys go out wheeling, I'm just north of Ft. Wayne. I'll try to keep up but not nearly as built as yours

1BAMFR

It's great to see that you are keeping it real and posting up the carnage! On the three JKX's I have gotten to be a part of here is something I have noticed; before the event starts everyone is posting how amped up they are to tackle the run, half way through the run the pack starts to seperate, enthusiasm starts to drop because of wear and tear, and when it's all said and done you rarely hear back from any of the participants who break. It's like the JKX was their one event (ever) and when it got hard they threw in the towel at the end. Look at the guys on this site that have been a part of any one of the JKX's, the accepted the risk, love the challenges and would do it all over again. Hell, its just paint metal and rubber, it's all fixable.

Thanks for the update on your rig! You definitely have the right offroading attitude :rock:

Does it ever begin to not be fun anymore? To watch your pride and joy being abused, breaking, scratched?

GCM 2

Does it ever begin to not be fun anymore? To watch your pride and joy being abused, breaking, scratched?

To be clear, neither me nor anyone I wheel with goes out with the intention of breaking something, but we don't shy away from challenges. For me what does begin to not be fun is never pushing you or your vehicle's limits. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a leisurely trail cruise, viewing scenic vistas and getting photos from grand overlooks......but I didn't build a vehicle to take bypasses around the obstacles ;) I genuinely do not expect everyone who owns an offroad vehicle to share my same ethos of challenges and risk acceptance. Events like the JKX will let a participant know three things at a minimum; 1- have you/do you really wheel your jeep as hard as you have been bragging on the World Wide Internet and is this something you really enjoy doing? 2- Your brand "X" suspension/axle truss/sleeves/axles/drive shafts/rock slider combo is the bomb! Or is it going to bomb? 3- your ability to work as a team, trust your spotter, learn to be comfortable when you are really uncomfortable because now you are finally wheeling as hard as you have been bragging on the forums. The coolest part is when you see the few guys on the event that absolutely find out that this is something they truly love doing. Quite a few are part of this forum :rock:

Last edited:

1BAMFR

To be clear, neither me nor anyone I wheel with goes out with the intention of breaking something, but we don't shy away from challenges. For me what does begin to not be fun is never pushing you or your vehicle's limits. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a leisurely trail cruise, viewing scenic vistas and getting photos from grand overlooks......but I didn't build a vehicle to take bypasses around the obstacles ;) I genuinely do not expect everyone who owns an offroad vehicle to share my same ethos of challenges and risk acceptance. Events like the JKX will let a participant know three things at a minimum; 1- have you/do you really wheel your jeep as hard as you have been bragging on the World Wide Internet and is this something you really enjoy doing? 2- Your brand "X" suspension/axle truss/sleeves/axles/drive shafts/rock slider combo is the bomb! Or is it going to bomb? 3- your ability to work as a team, trust your spotter, learn to be comfortable when you are really uncomfortable because now you are finally wheeling as hard as you have been bragging on the forums. The coolest part is when you see the few guys on the event that absolutely find out that this is something they truly love doing. Quite a few are part of this forum :rock:

Thanks for the response man! I knew it was a good question to ask you due to you being a JKX veteran. Me personally havent ever reached a point in the day where I wasnt having fun, even when trail damage occurs. Im sure us east coasters perceptions of hardcore is completely different then your hardcore...but at the end of the day we are all out to do one thing....have fun with our Jeeps, push the limits, and create new friends!

GCM 2

Thanks for the response man! I knew it was a good question to ask you due to you being a JKX veteran. Me personally havent ever reached a point in the day where I wasnt having fun, even when trail damage occurs. Im sure us east coasters perceptions of hardcore is completely different then your hardcore...but at the end of the day we are all out to do one thing....have fun with our Jeeps, push the limits, and create new friends!

Nope, now wait a minute! The east coast has it's own version of hardcore which is not all that different than out west. I have run some serious trails back east, they just are not as lengthy. The only place I have not wheeled is in the North East, but other than that, most every other state and terrain. I think the only thing the west/southwest offers that no other U.S. location can replicate is the number and length of our trails and trail systems, and the vastness of open spaces that allow us to carry serious speed and to utilize serious suspension set ups like the Double Throw Down. So other than that, the east coast has its share of great places to wheel......you just don't get to see the horizon because the trees block the view ;)

CJ THAT WENT JK

As far as the next phase of build, you will just have to wait and see. Lol. Like Greg said. I wheel hard and weak points will be found. That's why this isn't the first time I have rebuilt this thing. As much as breaking stuff sucks, it gives you an opportunity to try something different and that is exciting in itself. But don't worry I will post up of the new setup when it is done. And as far as breaking something, we will see what tomorrow brings.

GCM 2

As far as the next phase of build, you will just have to wait and see. Lol. Like Greg said. I wheel hard and weak points will be found. That's why this isn't the first time I have rebuilt this thing. As much as breaking stuff sucks, it gives you an opportunity to try something different and that is exciting in itself. But don't worry I will post up of the new setup when it is done. And as far as breaking something, we will see what tomorrow brings.

Sweet! Looking forward to the continued build......

CJ THAT WENT JK

You got it. Just wish these dang parts would hurry up. I am pretty stoked to tear it apart again. How does this sound right? Anyway. I just hope it works out according to plan.

1BAMFR

Nope, now wait a minute! The east coast has it's own version of hardcore which is not all that different than out west. I have run some serious trails back east, they just are not as lengthy. The only place I have not wheeled is in the North East, but other than that, most every other state and terrain. I think the only thing the west/southwest offers that no other U.S. location can replicate is the number and length of our trails and trail systems, and the vastness of open spaces that allow us to carry serious speed and to utilize serious suspension set ups like the Double Throw Down. So other than that, the east coast has its share of great places to wheel......you just don't get to see the horizon because the trees block the view ;)

One day I will wheel with you guys so I can compare! We do have some gnarly stuff over here and the offroad park is an hour north of my house...gotta love it!

Top Bottom