The Winch Thread

MKBCE

Recommend is the key word -but how much it's used, how it's used and if its exposed to sunlight determines a lot on the inspection and time to replace. I know my synthetic line doesn't have a shelf life but does need to be inspected regularly maybe more so than wire cable but again I have seen people trash it in one use if used wrong. Biggest difference is abrasion and deteriorating due to ultraviolet light (sunlight) but synthetic rope has advantages of being safer and field repairable easier.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Warn recommends 12 months, I probably wouldn’t be replacing every 12 months however I would definitely be carrying a replacement with me.

Pretty sure this was on their old ropes, not the new Spydura. Truthfully I couldn't find any replacement interval on mine when I looked just now. Warn just says to inspect it and replaced if damaged, and they have some cool graphics on what to look for.

IMG_20171111_134929_737.jpg

Last edited:

Gbint

So.... maybe synthetic then. Only using winch about 10 times a year now. Keeping it clean I’m sure is important. Guess I’ll need a drum sleeve too.

RioGrandeJK

Not many Engo users in the thread, so here's my take on one...

1. What kind of winch do u own?
2. Pros/Cons?
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic?
4. Ever had to use it?

Engo 9000s
Pros - Affordable (has worked every time I used it over the past 3 years), Lifetime warranty on the mechanicals , light weight
Cons - Made in China, loud as hell, cant move the solenoid box too far from center
Synthetic rope (what came on it)
Yes, about a dozen times for random pulling/lifting at home and work but only two really hard pulls. Once extracting an XJ out of 3' of snow in a ditch. Second time lowering myself backwards about 200' back down an icy trail, the winch got nice and toasty on this one but never gave an issue.

I like to operate it at least every other month even if its just an unspool/respool and work the free spool function. This helps to make sure it has some use and if there is an issue its not on a trail, sitting unused would be the death of any electric winch. Overall not a bad budget winch.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I think he’s saying the synthetic rope alone is half the cost of a new winch with steel cable included.

MKBCE

That's why the second winch I bought was with synthetic rope it was a better deal to buy on the winch than to buy the rope separate. I have a Warn 8274 I bought new in 1978 it had steel cable. I don't think synthetic was even thought of back then. Had the winch updated and rebuilt at Warn I asked about the wire cable and it still looked good to them so it's still original and being used today on my TJ but the new winch a Warn platinum 10 I opted for the synthetic to see how well it did being only about $300.00 more over the wire cable. If it doesn't show results for the extra cost when it's time to replace I will go back to wire cable.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WxNerd2015

1. Warn VR Evo 8s
2. Price doesn't break the bank and backed by Warn Warranty
3. Synthetic
4. Haven't gotten to use it yet but will soon

Just got this installed in a custom stock bumper winch mount. Hoping to maybe get to use it on a fall color run this weekend, but will definietly use it the following weekend around the in-laws property.

20201021_121748.jpg

20201021_115852.jpg

20201021_115914.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
1. Warn VR Evo 8s
2. Price doesn't break the bank and backed by Warn Warranty
3. Synthetic
4. Haven't gotten to use it yet but will soon

Just got this installed in a custom stock bumper winch mount. Hoping to maybe get to use it on a fall color run this weekend, but will definietly use it the following weekend around the in-laws property.

View attachment 354749

Is the skid custom and can you still get your hand in to operate the clutch handle?

Top Bottom