Thinking of adding a HAM radio

BaddestCross

I recently installed ham and really like the better distance and clarity it provides. I'm not licensed yet, so I don't transmit on certain frequencies, but we used race channels on our Rubicon trip - the first time I really used it for any length of time - and it worked well. I had peace of mind knowing that if we needed help, we'd be able to communicate off the mountain if it had been necessary.
20181019_170353.jpg

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TrailHunter

Hooked
I recently installed ham and really like the better distance and clarity it provides. I'm not licensed yet, so I don't transmit on certain frequencies, but we used race channels on our Rubicon trip - the first time I really used it for any length of time - and it worked well. I had peace of mind knowing that if we needed help, we'd be able to communicate off the mountain if it had been necessary.
View attachment 312986

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Why do you have 4 Handsets?

robx251

Caught the Bug
Looks good. Thinking of relocating mine to the sport cage center bar. A little less clutter i think.

Gobicon2017

Yea I really like the setup I have thought about getting a sport cage. I have been a bit hesitant because I’m worried about headroom and I haven’t been able to sit in one with a cage installed yet. I really like the look of the sport cage though.

Gobicon2017

Yea I really like the setup I have thought about getting a sport cage. I have been a bit hesitant because I’m worried about headroom and I haven’t been able to sit in one with a cage installed yet. I really like the look of the sport cage though.

I’m a taller guy myself. I keep ya posted on head room.

Gobicon2017

jdofmemi

I'm not super tall, but have a very long torso. My headroom is just fine with my sport cage. It is close, but I don't hit, and it's not uncomfortable at all.

wibornz

I am looking at adding a CB and a HAM radio. So do they make these as an all in one. Also maybe some suggestions on make and models. I am a kinda buy quality the first time kinda guy and will save to buy right once over buy and upgrade. I prefer more than I need just in case my need changes.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Nice. I will look further into it. Being that I do like to venture way out sometimes it may be good to have in the instances the CB won’t reach. I have a SAT phone for really bad situations but thinking a HAM would be added insurance.

To be honest, if you have a sat phone you are probably good. I used to have one years ago.. I've been thinking about getting one again. Ham is nice but doesn't always work due to atmospheric condition... Sat is pretty reliable.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I am looking at adding a CB and a HAM radio. So do they make these as an all in one. Also maybe some suggestions on make and models. I am a kinda buy quality the first time kinda guy and will save to buy right once over buy and upgrade. I prefer more than I need just in case my need changes.

They do Not make an all in one. If you want you'd have to buy a Ham radio and have it modded. It's illegal to do so. As has be mentioned before you need an FCC licence to operate on ham bands but it's an easy thing to get.

Brute

Hooked
I have a cb, ham, a pair of frs handhelds (for leaving the rig), Delorme Inreach...flashlight for Morse code...seriously thinking about a sat phone...I think I got it covered...

robx251

Caught the Bug
They do Not make an all in one. If you want you'd have to buy a Ham radio and have it modded. It's illegal to do so. As has be mentioned before you need an FCC licence to operate on ham bands but it's an easy thing to get.

I was under the impression that you could modify equipment as long as you follow rules and regulations from the fcc. that’s half the fun of getting into ham radio. My tyt9800 does allow for listening to the cb frequency’s but does not transmit on am only fm.

2016 JK Rubicon
35-12.5 R17 Radar Renegade R7 MT
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

BaddestCross

I was under the impression that you could modify equipment as long as you follow rules and regulations from the fcc. that’s half the fun of getting into ham radio. My tyt9800 does allow for listening to the cb frequency’s but does not transmit on am only fm.

2016 JK Rubicon
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA
My understanding is that if you modify equipment to transmit outside of it's FCC-approved bands or power it is a finable offense if you're caught.

--

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I have a cb, ham, a pair of frs handhelds (for leaving the rig), Delorme Inreach...flashlight for Morse code...seriously thinking about a sat phone...I think I got it covered...
I'd certainly say you're covered!!

2016 JK Rubicon
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

The equipment once it's modified if it's capable of transmitting out of the assigned frequencies you could be fined and if you have a license possibly have your license pulled. I believe.

My understanding is that if you modify equipment to transmit outside of it's FCC-approved bands or power it is a finable offense if you're caught.

--

What you said ;)

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
So there is Ham radio police? Just how would one get caught?

It's called the FCC...
It's not likely you'll get caught but if you cause interference in frequencies where you aren't licensed to operate you could be caught and fined. As far as finding people that are operating out of band... there is radio triangulation, you can use a directional antenna, find the direction of the signal you're interested in and just follow the signal.

Last edited:

robx251

Caught the Bug
I'd certainly say you're covered!!

The equipment once it's modified if it's capable of transmitting out of the assigned frequencies you could be fined and if you have a license possibly have your license pulled. I believe.

What you said ;)

I understand what you’re saying but the 11m am band is a legal broadcasting band on the assigned channel frequencies. The 11m and 10m are so close that they’re both in the 10m segment on my radio factory.

2016 JK Rubicon
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

Tanktitan

If the purpose of a Ham radio is to talk over longer distances than a CB, I get it. But if you are looking at a Ham for personal security, you might put an EPIRB or Personal Locator Beacon on your Christmas list. For about $300 you can have a device that you simply turn on to summons the people that will come and get you in the event of grave or imminent danger, anywhere on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom