Thinking of adding a HAM radio

wibornz

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

I usually use a spot tracker when I tour via motorcycle. That way the wife can check in and see that I am moving and where I am in the country. You can send out a distress email and your family can send help to your location or you can hit THE BUTTON as Spot Tracker will send someone.

Link to Amazon with more info.

http://a.co/d/3xGVBNy

Even though I have one, I still like the idea of a HAM radio...

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking about upgrading from my Midland CB to a President SSB CB, which lets you go from 4 to 12 watts if the receiving person also has a SSB. I don't need to talk to South Africa while I'm in the swamps of the Everglades, but we do run out of radio range just caravanning down the interstate with 15 jeeps.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking about upgrading from my Midland CB to a President SSB CB, which lets you go from 4 to 12 watts if the receiving person also has a SSB. I don't need to talk to South Africa while I'm in the swamps of the Everglades, but we do run out of radio range just caravanning down the interstate with 15 jeeps.

I believe you can also put in a small amp.. but probably the best thing is make sure your antenna is up to the task. Antennas are probably one of the most important parts of the system. I know people that have talked around the world on 5 watts.

If the purpose of a Ham radio is to talk over longer distances than a CB, I get it. But if you are looking at a Ham for personal security, you might put an EPIRB or Personal Locator Beacon on your Christmas list. For about $300 you can have a device that you simply turn on to summons the people that will come and get you in the event of grave or imminent danger, anywhere on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had no idea these existed at that price point. I’ll for sure look into that. [emoji106][emoji482]

Tanktitan

I had no idea these existed at that price point. I’ll for sure look into that. [emoji106][emoji482]

Check out REI or Bass Pro Shops. When you get it, you register with the government so they know who you are, your next of ken, contacts, etc. ACR ResQLink+ 406 MHz works worldwide, is small and is under $300.

Lojo

Check out REI or Bass Pro Shops. When you get it, you register with the government so they know who you are, your next of ken, contacts, etc. ACR ResQLink+ 406 MHz works worldwide, is small and is under $300.

Seems to be a perfect accessory for those who like to explore out of reach areas. Simple security!!! Thanks for post this info.

Top Bottom