Thoughts?? CRAWLER CONCEPTZ JK ULTRA SERIES BODY MOUNT TIRE CARRIER

TeamFaust

Very interested in both the tire carrier and the sliders -- how long you been running them Slavens?
Anything you don't care for or have learned that new user should be aware of?

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Very interested in both the tire carrier and the sliders -- how long you been running them Slavens?
Anything you don't care for or have learned that new user should be aware of?

Been running the sliders and bumpers since May or so last year .. The tire carrier and fenders since Oct/Nov ish .. Dates could be off but close. I mean they do their job that's for sure . They have taken some hits and the stuff still looks good so I am happy so far.

If I could re- do anything .. I don't like the sliders all that much. They work just fine but the flat tops hold a lot of mud and sand I don't like that because it tracks into the Jeep when getting back in. Obviously they are meant to get dirty but it adds quite a bit having mud pile up on the sliders.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Older pic but you can see what im talking about the mud stacking on the sliders. So with kids the back seats were bombed

Attachments

• 1429137204494.jpg
    1429137204494.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 503

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
OK, I had to give this some thought, I was under the impression that the tire was just hanging off the angle iron tab, but looking again, if the tire sits against the big triangle part flush and there is some preload. I can see how this design works. It basically uses the tire as support, if you were to hit it on a ledge,the tire would be against the frame of the carrier. The only thing I can see is maybe the part that bolts to the hinges being a weak spot. Same could be said for the genright I guess, the price is good with this deal too.

TeamFaust

Older pic but you can see what im talking about the mud stacking on the sliders. So with kids the back seats were bombed

Yep I see what you mean -- I am going to have to have a slider with a step for wife regardless so thinking this would be a similar situation with any that have a "step" surface. Thanks for the info. BTW how do like the fenders, that's my other project on the list?

TeamFaust

OK, I had to give this some thought, I was under the impression that the tire was just hanging off the angle iron tab, but looking again, if the tire sits against the big triangle part flush and there is some preload. I can see how this design works. It basically uses the tire as support, if you were to hit it on a ledge,the tire would be against the frame of the carrier. The only thing I can see is maybe the part that bolts to the hinges being a weak spot. Same could be said for the genright I guess, ...

So in looking at the picture, there is obviously a tire mount piece (not shown) that would rest on top of the triangular shaped steel piece that extends from the carrier which would slide in and out to adjust for tire width and be bolted through the slots shown. By having the tire pressed against the tire carrier should be pretty firm (as you mentioned similar to other carriers). So I would tend to agree with you the challenge spot (potential weak spot) would be where the carrier is mounted to the hinge locations. The carriers pivots look pretty beefy, but what/how are they attached to the vehicle -- how is the mounting structure at that point on the JK?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So in looking at the picture, there is obviously a tire mount piece (not shown) that would rest on top of the triangular shaped steel piece that extends from the carrier which would slide in and out to adjust for tire width and be bolted through the slots shown. By having the tire pressed against the tire carrier should be pretty firm (as you mentioned similar to other carriers). So I would tend to agree with you the challenge spot (potential weak spot) would be where the carrier is mounted to the hinge locations. The carriers pivots look pretty beefy, but what/how are they attached to the vehicle -- how is the mounting structure at that point on the JK?

Looks like it's attached to the tailgate with a tramp stamp type setup. I would think energy would be transferred to that part with a hit.

Rideski

Done! Just ordered this carrier. I'll post up pics once it arrives (approx. 5 weeks thru Northridge Canada)

Last edited:

TeamFaust

Done! Just ordered this carrier. I'll post up pics once it arrives (approx. 5 weeks thru Northridge Canada)

I am still a bit on the fence but liking this option. I think they all come shipped bare metal so will have to paint of find a powder coating place -- wondering how much that will cost? Also looking at sliders at same time so debating the CC or another option there.

Post some pics once you get it and install.

Top Bottom