Thoughts?? CRAWLER CONCEPTZ JK ULTRA SERIES BODY MOUNT TIRE CARRIER

BadAndy

I am still a bit on the fence but liking this option. I think they all come shipped bare metal so will have to paint of find a powder coating place -- wondering how much that will cost? Also looking at sliders at same time so debating the CC or another option there.

Post some pics once you get it and install.

It cost me 135 to get it powdercoated. Its holding up. The only thing that I would say is bad about the carrier is that the license plate bracket is PITA. When I get some free time I am going to weld the Rockhard one in its place.

TeamFaust

It cost me 135 to get it powdercoated. Its holding up. The only thing that I would say is bad about the carrier is that the license plate bracket is PITA. When I get some free time I am going to weld the Rockhard one in its place.

Thanks. Gotta figure that into the budget. Regarding lic plate relocate, I do like the RH stuff.

RedSyndrome

I agree. Three bolts to hold it in place. PSC is the same design. I used the RH plate holder with the thumb screw. I then ran a locking pin through it to hold if the thumb screw comes loose. When changing out a flat, this will save a time and headache.

Wardell

So I would tend to agree with you the challenge spot (potential weak spot) would be where the carrier is mounted to the hinge locations. The carriers pivots look pretty beefy, but what/how are they attached to the vehicle -- how is the mounting structure at that point on the JK?

I tried looking up the installation instructions online, but I couldn't find any. Maybe Slavens or someone else who has it can confirm, but it looks to me like the brackets that hold the carrier get bolted on sandwiched between the tailgate hinge and the body. At least, that's how the Maximus 3 tire carrier mounts up which looks to be a very similar design. The body is reinforced there to take the weight of the tailgate and the stock spare, and Maximus claims it's plenty strong enough to take the weight of their carrier and up to a 40" tire (plus add ons like a high lift jack, rotopax, etc). That sounds like it might be a bit much though... and I don't think I've seen pictures of one running anything larger than a 35". Either way, I think both the Maximus and Crawler Concepts carriers would be about as sturdy as most bumper or frame mounted tire carriers, but they would be nothing compared to the EVO, Genright, Poison Spider, or similar carriers that attach to both sides of the body and have their frame on the outside of the spare.

Just for comparison, here's a thread on the Maximus carrier: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?21478-Maximus-3-tire-carrier-installed! I was thinking about getting this one (I will be getting their winch mount and stinger, and liked it's modular design for accessories), but the Crawler Concepts just gave me another on to think about, and it's less expensive. Hmmm...

Last edited:

BadAndy

I tried looking up the installation instructions online, but I couldn't find any. Maybe Slavens or someone else who has it can confirm, but it looks to me like the brackets that hold the carrier get bolted on sandwiched between the tailgate hinge and the body. At least, that's how the Maximus 3 tire carrier mounts up which looks to be a very similar design. The body is reinforced there to take the weight of the tailgate and the stock spare, and Maximus claims it's plenty strong enough to take the weight of their carrier and up to a 40" tire (plus add ons like a high lift jack, rotopax, etc). That sounds like it might be a bit much though... and I don't think I've seen pictures of one running anything larger than a 35". Either way, I think both the Maximus and Crawler Concepts carriers would be about as sturdy as most bumper or frame mounted tire carriers, but they would be nothing compared to the EVO, Genright, Poison Spider, or similar carriers that attach to both sides of the body and have their frame on the outside of the spare.

Just for comparison, here's a thread on the Maximus carrier: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?21478-Maximus-3-tire-carrier-installed! I was thinking about getting this one (I will be getting their winch mount and stinger, and liked it's modular design for accessories), but the Crawler Concepts just gave me another on to think about, and it's less expensive. Hmmm...

You end up cannibalizing your hinges. The pivot point of the carrier is the clevis for the hinge too.

The one thing bad about the body mounted carriers are that any impact they take is directly transferred to your body and can do damage. Poison Spyder and Genright are in the same boat because they are still mounting directly to the body. EVO carrier is different story since its transferring its load to the corners thru the corner armor.

BlackRubiJKU

We will see...

I ordered mine today. I like the style, and you can't beat the price. I have been considering different tire carriers for a while, and I can't pass this deal up.

I can post photos if anyone is interested. I'm in SoCal, so I should have it early next week....

Slavens

Caught the Bug

In my pic above I am running a 37"

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug

This carrier mounts on the hinge side the exact same way as the genright does. You replace the body side of the tailgate hinge and it bolts right into the body of the jeep which is plenty strong. Then it has a link that attaches to a tramp stamp on the tailgate and when in the closed position it has a receiver so to speak that the carrier rests in.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429315613.306885.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
This carrier mounts on the hinge side the exact same way as the genright does. You replace the body side of the tailgate hinge and it bolts right into the body of the jeep which is plenty strong. Then it has a link that attaches to a tramp stamp on the tailgate and when in the closed position it has a receiver so to speak that the carrier rests in.

View attachment 137988

Closer look of what you're talking about.

Attachments

• 1429315860739.jpg
    1429315860739.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 1429315875419.jpg
    1429315875419.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 419

RedSyndrome

I received mine yesterday.
I need to lay out the parts and make sure everything is there, then get it ready for powder coating. I'll sand down the edges a little. I may weld or bolt on an antenna mount first.
Then Dark Gray powder coat.

I talked with Shad the owner of Crawler Conceptz. He is a nice to chat with. I will be looking at other products from them. The fender liners look like a nice item.

TripleBJK

Any updated reviews on this tire carrier? I am thinking about replacing my Chinese teraflex tire carrier with this. I like that it is American made and supports the handle side of the tire. Seems much stronger and safer.

Flynlo

Any updated reviews on this tire carrier? I am thinking about replacing my Chinese teraflex tire carrier with this. I like that it is American made and supports the handle side of the tire. Seems much stronger and safer.

Handle side of the tire?

rangerry21

I have had the CC tire carrier for a few months now, and it pretty solid. Install was simple, but when you do paint it be careful not to go too think in some areas. Not a big deal, but you will have to sand them down. I have a procomp 37" on there and it doesn't move at all ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446644876.652076.jpg

Top Bottom