Thoughts on mud?

Devallee

I'm a California boy so we barely get any rain, let alone enough for any good mud. But I love the stuff! Granted we hardly get much but whenever I have the chance I'm in it as much as possible. I just spray some foaming tire shine on pretty much everything under the jeep before I go out, and keep bottles of simple green at home so cleaning is nothing more than about 30 minutes with a pressure washer

7kings

I hate mud, but down here in SW Florida, that's mostly what you get. Usually I throw an oscillating sprinkler under the Jeep in a few different locations for a while after I get home to soften everything up, then spend an hour with the pressure washer. No matter how much time you spend trying to get it all clean, you'll invariably still get a face-full of dried mud the next time you climb under the rig to do anything to it...

12321194_10207665316624041_1773677707143750935_n.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
At first I thought mud was fun, yeah not anymore. Especially the kind at the local-ish park we northeast guys go to....its a weird mix that is really hard to wash off.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Mud is literally the worst. I remember taking my new 07 JK into Oklahoma red clay mud and it ruined working on my jeep every time for the next 4 years. Never again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been lurking on this forum for a while now, and rarely post. Mostly because it would seem that most of you live in parts of the country where rocks are the norm as far as wheeling goes. I live in Minnesota, ( land of high taxes ) and most of the stuff around here involves MUD. I hate mud! It gets in every crack and crevice, and is a bitch to clean. Living in the midwest is why I chose AEV when I picked a lift, but am less then thrilled with the ride as it seems rough but handles well. Do you guys out west avoid mud, or is it just me. I keep my stuff nice, and mud takes the fun out of it for me. On a technical note, would swapping to EVO plush rides help or should I just leave it alone? I love reading all the adventures on here.

While I find myself in it more times than I'd prefer, I absolutely HATE MUD. As you and others have mentioned, it gets into everything and is impossible to get rid of completely. I avoid it as much as possible.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
While I find myself in it more times than I'd prefer, I absolutely HATE MUD. As you and others have mentioned, it gets into everything and is impossible to get rid of completely. I avoid it as much as possible.

This! Mud was fun when I was a teen hauling ass in an old Ford truck. Now, mmmm, not so much. It ruins everything lol.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Mud sucks. Clay is worse. That's all we have in VA. A couple hours with a power washer is required afterwards. Not much action shots, but what my pops grabbed on our last ride at the local park:

I'm guessing this was during one of the recent Red Cloud limited opening weekends?

J.B.

Mud sucks. I don't mind going through it when I have to but hate cleaning the JK after.

JoeB-JKURX

Mud in New Mexico??!!

It doesn't happen too often but, up on the mesa tops that produce clouds of dust when wheeling with it dry, the mud seems bottomless when the snow melts (or it's rained pretty hard for a while). It also sticks to your rig like cement (with a high level of calcium carbonate it is chemically similar to cement) and takes (like another poster noted) a long time with a power washer (at the squirt-em-yourself car wash). I actually feel bad for the workers at the car washes. When it is really bad and you get mud up to your ankles in one bay, you need to move to another (or go to a different car wash). This leaves the workers to somehow dispose of the mud that, I'm sure, clogs their drains and messes with their pumps. I do enjoy the challenge of the mud around here (it is slick as cat shit) but hate having to clean it off. Last time I was in the mud like this, I had a clog on one of my wheels that limited my speed on the freeway to about 45 MPH. I was happy to get that clog (and several smaller ones) off so that I could drive with the traffic. Like they say about golf or fishing, however, any day wheeling is better than any day without it.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Good guess. Not sure what you mean by limited though.

At least according to their FB posts it's only some weekends with a cap to the amount of rigs that they will let in. Way different than before they were shut down in early 2015.

jeeeep

Hooked
hate it, hate it and umm hate it.
I'm still finding Tx mud in the undercarriage after 2 years and i spent 3 hours power washing that shit off after the run!!

Agreed, mud is not that fun to clean up, even if it was fun driving through.

A while back I did a trip to Big Levels here in VA. It's a mountain trail in the George Washington National Forest. There was quite a bit of mud from standing water on the trail. I tried to avoid much of it because it smelled really bad. The next day I washed the Jeep back behind the house with the hose. The smell didn't get any better and everything was covered in it. What I didn't realize is that there was a scratch on my foot and I was wearing flipflops during the cleanup. Of coarse, I got covered in muddy water. The day after cleanup what was a little scratch became a super infected wound. I had to go to the clinic for meds.

Live and learn....
And I am always telling my kids to wear shoes...

Top Bottom