TIPM issues, again

Sahara_Maverick

Thanks guys!
I took my Jeep back to the dealer. The new TIPM was original Chrysler got from a dealer based on my Jeep's VIN.

Anyway... long story short. After a few days "behaving well", meaning no error codes or anything the dealer was ready to throw the towel and attributing to a vacuum leak in the PCV. I said it did not make sense since if it was a vacuum leak it would not be fixed by a reboot (disconnect-reconnect battery).

About an hour later they called and lo and behold, the poltergeists attacked. This time the Jeep was online and they saw it was the new TIPM that failed. So, being replaced under warranty.

I did not go there pick it up yet, since they are running more tests. However, I find extremely absurd that a new TIPM will fail so fast. Are they really that crappy? Or could be something else causing it?

Again, despite the two issues I had in the weekend there were no error codes recorded, according to the dealer, neither it record any when failing again. Luckily the Jeep was connected to their scanner and they saw it happening.

This is simply crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

Wow. Sometimes we get lucky. Intermittent problems are a tech's worst nightmare! Hope they get it all sorted out for you. 🍻

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I was thinking about what you said about bad contact.

Would a bad harness or connector cause a bad contact that could throw the TIPM crazy or damage it?

What even more strange about it is that it's failing the same way. Exact same problem. Two TIPMs failing the very same way?

BaddestCross

I was thinking about what you said about bad contact.

Would a bad harness or connector cause a bad contact that could throw the TIPM crazy or damage it?

What even more strange about it is that it's failing the same way. Exact same problem. Two TIPMs failing the very same way?

Absolutely. If the TIPM is actually bad, there could definitely be a bad wire that only shorts out under certain circumstances such as moisture, heat, etc.

On the other hand, if it's a bad connection, it's possible that similar circumstances could cause the TIPM to flip out and when the condition goes away the connection corrects itself and makes the TIPM happy again until the next time it occurs.

I find it very strange that a board would fail (or appear to fail) in exactly the same way without an external force being the cause. I mean, it could happen, but in my experience it's highly unlikely.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Sahara_Maverick

Exactly. That's what's bugging me.

Timeline:
July 2017 - TIPM replaced because it was causing wipers going on and killing engine.

December 2017 - same problem returned. Dealer said it was wipers command module going bad and causing TIPM to shut down engine. Replaced wipers' module. Dealer said there were codes showing it.

February 2018 - exact same problem returned. Absolutely no codes (according to dealer). However, they say it's a bad TIPM and are replacing under warranty.

Something is not matching. Does not make any sense. Unless bad connector or harness, which they say it's not.

Sahara_Maverick

Nope. Happens in different situations. First time I was on a highway at 65mph when wipers went on by themselves and then killed engine.
Then happened other times with me stopped at traffic lights, maneuvering on parking lots or idling at home while flushing coolant system. No connections.

Funny enought, never happened on the trails. Maybe a protest? ;-)

BaddestCross

Nope. Happens in different situations. First time I was on a highway at 65mph when wipers went on by themselves and then killed engine.
Then happened other times with me stopped at traffic lights, maneuvering on parking lots or idling at home while flushing coolant system. No connections.

Funny enought, never happened on the trails. Maybe a protest? ;-)

Yeah, maybe not at the exact time it happens, but even in the day or two preceding the incident. Like flushing the coolant system.. there's water involved there. The other times it happened were you anywhere near water before it started happening? Things like that.

--

Sahara_Maverick

Nope. Most of the times it was as dry as it gets.

And while on trails I went through shallow creeks without issues.

It's always the same routine, even after they replaced the TIPM and the wipers' control. Wipers start by themselves and when I switch the wipers' knob on (remember it was off) the engine dies. Only starts again after I reboot.

One telltale I told the dealer but did not seem relevant to them. My Jeep's remote unlock works differently sometimes. It normally unlocks the driver's door on first push and then the others on the second. Sometimes it unlocks all at the first push. Also the headlights sometimes turning on when I unlock is not consistent. And it burns blinker bulbs like crazy. Have to replace them every two or three months. Tried LEDs but only get the fast blinking so went back to incandescent.

Sahara_Maverick

Got the Jeep back. While there confirmed with the service manager that they saw no error codes. Only thing is that the technician saw the older TIPM acting weird suddenly and ordered a new one.

They confirmed Chrysler does not sell new TIPMs. They said Chrysler actually refurbishes them. Therefore, they are not surprised at all they keep failing.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m late to the party, but it seems like a like a power surge at intermittent times giving the computer fits. Just looking at it from a different direction. I don’t know if that would have been flagged during the diagnostics. You might try swapping the battery and really clean the connections well to ensure constant power from the battery and have the alternator tested to ensure consistent power with out spikes or valleys. Burning through turn signal bulbs is a giveaway that the power is not consistent. It could also be a short, but Just a different thought. Good luck and keep up updated

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

I’m late to the party, but it seems like a like a power surge at intermittent times giving the computer fits. Just looking at it from a different direction. I don’t know if that would have been flagged during the diagnostics. You might try swapping the battery and really clean the connections well to ensure constant power from the battery and have the alternator tested to ensure consistent power with out spikes or valleys. Burning through turn signal bulbs is a giveaway that the power is not consistent. It could also be a short, but Just a different thought. Good luck and keep up updated

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yep. I mentioned that. I also said it was very suspicious that two TIPMs failed the exact same way but they came with the "refurbished" story. They said there was no indication of a bad battery or alternator also.

Battery is a Die Hard Gold approx. four years old. Sears did not carry the Platinum anymore when I got it. My Bully Dog displays the voltage and it's usually around 14V with engine running. Drops to around 13.5V with it off.

Any other ways I can check? I agree that the burn rate is high. It also used to burn headlight bulbs quite a bit until I got the Trucklite LEDs.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yep. I mentioned that. I also said it was very suspicious that two TIPMs failed the exact same way but they came with the "refurbished" story. They said there was no indication of a bad battery or alternator also.

Battery is a Die Hard Gold approx. four years old. Sears did not carry the Platinum anymore when I got it. My Bully Dog displays the voltage and it's usually around 14V with engine running. Drops to around 13.5V with it off.

Any other ways I can check? I agree that the burn rate is high. It also used to burn headlight bulbs quite a bit until I got the Trucklite LEDs.

I’m definitely not and expert, I was just thinking of other angles on it. If the battery was failing internally and causing the issue, you would need need to have a meter on it at that exact moment it through out a surge. I’m just thinking of ways of taking things out of the equation.

Sahara_Maverick

Agreed. That's what I was telling them. However, they insisted that when the TIPM failed (again and the same way) it was an internal failure.

Their explanation was that when it failed there it did not generate neither they saw any error codes. Jeep was connected to their scanning device.

jeeeep

Hooked
that sucks...and also the reason I haven't messed with changing mine out even though I keep getting told the TIPM failure is what's cause my rear power locks to stop working.

Everything else still works so I just deal with having to manually unlock/lock the rear doors.

I've come to have a large dislike for multifunction switches.

Sahara_Maverick

You have to be very careful with the TIPM failures.

As you saw in my Jeep's case, it led to shutting the engine down, despite the dealer could not explain 100% why. They blamed the wipers' control module, but based on this failure, it's not related.

The worst part is that they said Chrysler is aware of this issue but hasn't done anything about it.

The JL has the potential to fail the same way.

Sahara_Maverick

Yep. They did in December when they changed the wipers' control module.

It was a TIPM and an ABS upgrade. Quite expensive, by the way. But I agreed it was a good idea to update the software.

Top Bottom