TIPM issues, again

Sahara_Maverick

I meant on the "new" one they're gonna install for you.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
Good point.

Is there a way for me to check that they did it?

When I picked the Jeep the ESP and BAS lights came on. They initially said "one of your wheel sensors is bad".
I replied all were fine when I dropped the Jeep and you said there were no error codes.
They took it back in and said it was "ABS module not communicating with TIPM" and spent about 10 minutes working on it.
Brought it back and apparently now everything OK.

However, it would be good to check they updated this one. Even though, I would imagine that when Chrysler "refurbishes" them doesn't it load the latest firmware?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Good point.

Is there a way for me to check that they did it?

When I picked the Jeep the ESP and BAS lights came on. They initially said "one of your wheel sensors is bad".
I replied all were fine when I dropped the Jeep and you said there were no error codes.
They took it back in and said it was "ABS module not communicating with TIPM" and spent about 10 minutes working on it.
Brought it back and apparently now everything OK.

However, it would be good to check they updated this one. Even though, I would imagine that when Chrysler "refurbishes" them doesn't it load the latest firmware?

I have no idea... Maybe a scanner will display the firmware version? You'd think it would be the latest version, but with their track record so far I'd be leary. 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You have to be very careful with the TIPM failures.

As you saw in my Jeep's case, it led to shutting the engine down, despite the dealer could not explain 100% why. They blamed the wipers' control module, but based on this failure, it's not related.

The worst part is that they said Chrysler is aware of this issue but hasn't done anything about it.

The JL has the potential to fail the same way.

Sorry for all the issues you are having.

You keep saying Chrysler is aware of the issue but hasn’t done anything about it. There are over 1.5 million JKs on the road with TIPM and many millions other FCA vehicles with it. Basically every FCA vehicle from 2007 til 2013 used it (some even longer). There isn’t a huge epidemic of vehicles randomly turning on wipers and killing engine so it isn’t a design flaw, it is something with your vehicle.

The fact that you have failed 3 TIPMs means something else is causing it to fail. You don’t fail 3 TIPMs in the exact same manner unless it is something in the wiring causing the board to get fried. All the TIPM is is essentially a huge SPOD, a bunch of relays and transistors. Something is overloading the circuits causing it to fail. I have worked in field service in many industries and intermittent electrical issues are the worst to find. What usually happens eventually is the bad circuit finally burns up the wiring and then u can find it. Otherwise it is a very tedious troubleshooting process than unfortunately many techs now won’t do. They just change parts and hope it fixes it. On yours it needs to be taken further.

Also JL doesn’t have potential to fail same way as it doesn’t even have a TIPM, it uses PowerNet which has been used in FCA vehicles since 2013.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

Sorry for all the issues you are having.

You keep saying Chrysler is aware of the issue but hasn’t done anything about it. There are over 1.5 million JKs on the road with TIPM and many millions other FCA vehicles with it. Basically every FCA vehicle from 2007 til 2013 used it (some even longer). There isn’t a huge epidemic of vehicles randomly turning on wipers and killing engine so it isn’t a design flaw, it is something with your vehicle.

The fact that you have failed 3 TIPMs means something else is causing it to fail. You don’t fail 3 TIPMs in the exact same manner unless it is something in the wiring causing the board to get fried. All the TIPM is is essentially a huge SPOD, a bunch of relays and transistors. Something is overloading the circuits causing it to fail. I have worked in field service in many industries and intermittent electrical issues are the worst to find. What usually happens eventually is the bad circuit finally burns up the wiring and then u can find it. Otherwise it is a very tedious troubleshooting process than unfortunately many techs now won’t do. They just change parts and hope it fixes it. On yours it needs to be taken further.

Also JL doesn’t have potential to fail same way as it doesn’t even have a TIPM, it uses PowerNet which has been used in FCA vehicles since 2013.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm just saying what the dealer's technicians told me when I asked how could a wiper module failing or going nuts cause an engine shutdown, which is a deadly situation. I am a mechanical engineer with experience in controls and software industry.

I asked them if Chrysler is aware of an issue can easily lead to a deadly situation. When it failed the first time and killed the engine my family and I were very lucky that the highway was empty and we were in a straight line.

Their answer was "Yes, they are aware but did not issue any specific fix for this issue so far". So, not reassuring at all, isn't it? Ah, and this one at least looked at the issue. The other did not even know how to start fixing it.

They also said that their system did not log any error code this last time it failed, and the Jeep was online. So, a fault that has the capacity to damage a TIPM and throw the wipers nuts does not generate any fault codes???

I also told them it was very suspicious that two (not three) TIPMs failed exactly the same way and suggested something else might be the cause. Their reply was that Chrysler does not make new TIPMs. They only refurbish them, hence they were not surprised with the multiple failures.

I agree with you that this is suspicious. However, I do not have the scanners the dealers have to test that stuff myself.

Furthermore, there have been piles of complaints about TIPM failure in Chrysler vehicles. The company has somehow been able to get the lawsuits dismissed. This is well documented.

You also mentioned burned wires. Well... burning Jeeps are not that uncommon, isn't it?

As far as Chrysler no longer using TIPM, yeah... good for them. However, the way their dealers handle this kind of failure does not inspire any confidence in their capabilities, neither the newer stuff Chrysler came up with also does not have its "Easter eggs". The JL, for what I see is even more dependent on electronics. Considering how the JKs have issues the probabilities in the new line is likely orders of magnitude higher.

I understand Chrysler trying to improve the design and features. However, the minimum we expect is that they own it, mostly considering how much they charge for their cars.

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm just saying what the dealer's technicians told me when I asked how could a wiper module failing or going nuts cause an engine shutdown, which is a deadly situation. I am a mechanical engineer with experience in controls and software industry.

I asked them if Chrysler is aware of an issue can easily lead to a deadly situation. When it failed the first time and killed the engine my family and I were very lucky that the highway was empty and we were in a straight line.

Their answer was "Yes, they are aware but did not issue any specific fix for this issue so far". So, not reassuring at all, isn't it? Ah, and this one at least looked at the issue. The other did not even know how to start fixing it.

They also said that their system did not log any error code this last time it failed, and the Jeep was online. So, a fault that has the capacity to damage a TIPM and throw the wipers nuts does not generate any fault codes???

Furthermore, there have been piles of complaints about TIPM failure in Chrysler vehicles. The company has somehow been able to get them dismissed.

You mentioned burned wires. Well... burning Jeeps are not that uncommon, isn't it?

As far as Chrysler no longer using TIPM, yeah... good for them. However, the way their dealers handle this kind of failure does not inspire any confidence in their capabilities, neither the newer stuff Chrysler came up with also does not have its "Easter eggs". The JL, for what I see is even more dependent on electronics. Considering how the JKs have issues the probabilities in the new line is likely orders of magnitude higher.

I understand Chrysler trying to improve the design and features. However, the minimum we expect is that they own it, mostly considering how much they charge for their cars.

Trade that baby in

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

I completely understand and accept the "it happens" part.
What I do not accept is the manufacturer not being able to fix neither having a clue on how to do it.
Let's not forget that Jeeps are very expensive. They are not in the low-end price points.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I completely understand and accept the "it happens" part.
What I do not accept is the manufacturer not being able to fix neither having a clue on how to do it.
Let's not forget that Jeeps are very expensive. They are not in the low-end price points.

Dealer couldn’t fix Dad’s pickup. A shade tree mechanic did, though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom