Tire measurement challenge

TheStick

Since there have been a few discussions about this I thought it would be interesting. For this to have any value, I think a consistent set of values need to be noted. Measurements need to be taken mounted under load, and at normal DD PSI. A picture showing the measurement is a nice bonus :thumb:

Brand/Model:
Size:
Air Pressure:
Jeep Model:
Actual Measurement:

Brand/Model: Goodyear MTR/K
Size: 37x12.50 R17
Air Pressure: 28
Jeep Model: JKUR
Actual Measurement: 36.25" (NEW)

FWIW: I had to lower my PSI to 25.5 to get good contact/wear and haven't remeasured at that PSI.

pvanweelden

Treadwright GuardDog MT
315/70 r 17 on stock 7.5" wide rims
32 psi
JKUR
34.5" (new)

Super Swampers TSL SX
36x12.5x15 on 10" wide rims
32 psi
TJ
34.25" (80% tread)

Hack12

Brand/Model: Toyo Open Country M/T
Size: 33 x 13.50 x 15
Air Pressure: 35 PSI On-Road / 20 PSI Off-Road
Jeep Model: 2008 Wrangler Sahara JKU
Actual Measurement: 33.06 in.
:2thumbsup:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Brand/Model: Toyo Open Country M/T
Size: 33 x 13.50 x 15
Air Pressure: 35 PSI On-Road / 20 PSI Off-Road
Jeep Model: 2008 Wrangler Sahara JKU
Actual Measurement: 33.06 in.
:2thumbsup:

I want to see pictures of your 33.06" 33's!

espi

Brand/Model: Goodyear Duratracs
Size: 285/70r17
Air Pressure: 30-32
Jeep Model: JKU
Actual Measurement: 31.75-32"

10frank9

Web Wheeler
They're truly more like 33.10" but I guesstimated the 0.06" because it was slightly below the line for 33.10".

Here are some pics though...:D

Very funny Hack. I want to see pictures of your measurement. You know you're 33.06" may be smaller than my 33.06". Did you start measuring from underneath the tire? :cheesy:

Hack12

Very funny Hack. I want to see pictures of your measurement. You know you're 33.06" may be smaller than my 33.06". Did you start measuring from underneath the tire? :cheesy:

Ahhhhhh, I get it now! :doh: Sorry about that. After seeing your measurement pictures I definitely measured mine wrong. I think I may be an inch or so over the proper height. I'm gonna have to do it again properly when I get out of work tonight.

Hack12

So from your photo, I'm assuming the proper way to measure is with a tape measure and a level. How much will tire pressure make a difference?

Thanks for showing a perfect example of how to measure :thumb:

X2. I previously measured mine with my wife's cloth yardstick thingy! :cheesy:

dglangan

37" BFG km2's running 28 PSI on my JKUR measuring roughly 35.5" pretty weak if you ask me.

View attachment 71837

After attempting to use your method of measuring, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed at the dexterity it takes to hold a vertical measuring tape, a horizontal level, while operating camera/camera phone and still get a decent shot. With that said, my post won't have a picture to go with it lol

Brand/Model: Nitto Trail Grapplers
Size: 35"
Air Pressure: 29psi
Actual Measurement: 34.05"

Not as bad as I thought. Tires fairly new, about 6k miles on them.

xtremefx4

2011 JKU
Tires Hankook dynapro mt
315/70-17
Measure 33.75 with 37 psi
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1393968857234.jpg
    1393968857234.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 186

Elusive

very interesting

Brand/Model: Toyo MT (new)
Size: 385/70 r 16 (manufacturer claims 37.7" tall)
Air Pressure: 26psi
Actual Measurement: 36.7"

tire.JPG

jeffd

Toyo open Country at2 285/75-17 marked 34" on sidewall actual just under 33" with 30psi and 6000 miles barely shown any tread wear. but measures exactly 33" if I measure from the cement floor to the center of the hub and X2. does not make sense but it measures 16.5" on the nose.

IMG_20140305_182946984_zpsh9e7xj4t.jpg

TheStick

Finally got mine mounted.

Brand/Model: Nitto Trail Grapplers
Size: 35 12.50 17
Air Pressure: 30PSI
Jeep Model: JKUR
Actual Measurement: 34" Even

These are brand new with less than 50 miles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, if you want to be doing this right, you really need to be measuring from the ground to the top edge of the tire where the sidewall turns and becomes the tread - NOT to the highest point of the tire which will be the center of the tread. Or, you could measure from the ground to the center of the wheel and then X2. This is after all what you would need to calibrate your speedometer.

Having said that, my 40" Nitto K-Spec Trail Grapplers measure 38" and were most likely closer to 38.25" new. My 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers measure 35" now but have quite a few miles on them. If I could guess, they came in closer to 35.5" new. Same could be said of the Toyo MT's that I ran in both these sizes. My 285/70R17's Nitto Trail Grapplers measure about 32". The 35" Goodyear MT/R's with Kevlar I ran only came in at about 33" and at last check, the old Cooper STT's I had only came in at about 30.5" but would guess they were more like 31" new.

I could go on and on with all the tires I have tested but, I think you can see the pattern. NO tire will have an actual measurement that equals what is listed on the sidewall and most will come in at about 2" less than what is advertised - at least, if you measure it like you should. This is why I always say that actual measurement should only be taken into consideration when calibrating your speedometer and NOT when talking about things like lift. When talking about things like how much lift is needed to clear a tire, you should always refer to what is written on the sidewall as that is what manufacturers are working off of - NOT actual measurement.

Top Bottom