Tire/wheel combo question - Need your help

LVMohave

Hey everyone, I'm new here. This is my first post, been "lurking" for a while before I decided to join. I just got a new Gladiator and have 17" wheels, 9.5" wide, -18 offset and 4.5" backspace. The truck has 2" lift. Can I fit a Nitto Trail Grappler 38x13.5r17 tire on my truck?

Hey everyone, I'm new here. This is my first post, been "lurking" for a while before I decided to join. I just got a new Gladiator and have 17" wheels, 9.5" wide, -18 offset and 4.5" backspace. The truck has 2" lift. Can I fit a Nitto Trail Grappler 38x13.5r17 tire on my truck?
Welcome. They should technically fit but you will have a good amount of rubbing, especially if a non rubicon. If you are really wanting to stick with 2” of lift, I would stay closer to 37’s max. . They are also way cheaper.

LVMohave

Welcome. They should technically fit but you will have a good amount of rubbing, especially if a non rubicon. If you are really wanting to stick with 2” of lift, I would stay closer to 37’s max. . They are also way cheaper.
Its a Mojave, doesn't it have 1" more lift than a factory Rubicon? I also plan on doing the fender delete. I'm more concerned with the offset and backspace. I watched Youtube videos on this subject and understand it, I just don't know if my wheel specs and a 38" tire would fit ok. I have 37's now on the truck with no rubbing. I just purchased the truck with low miles, its super clean

Its a Mojave, doesn't it have 1" more lift than a factory Rubicon? I also plan on doing the fender delete. I'm more concerned with the offset and backspace. I watched Youtube videos on this subject and understand it, I just don't know if my wheel specs and a 38" tire would fit ok. I have 37's now on the truck with no rubbing. I just purchased the truck with low miles, its super clean
You will probably rub a little frame/front lower control arms at full lock/stuff but doable with 4.5” backspacing. Little rubbing never hurt anyone 👍🏼

LVMohave

The other thing to consider is that unless you have another means to store a spare, a 38” tire will NOT fit under the bed in the factory location.
I have a BFG KM3 37" that fits in my spare tire location. I suppose I could still use that tire even If I had 38's? When I think about a donut wheel on a regular car, its much smaller but it works for a quick trip to get fixed. I assume a 37" could work also for the 38"? What's the cons to that? ( Im sure there are some).....just curious

onlyone

You can run a smaller tire on whatever open axle you have. Most likely the front, but you will likely go into limp mode, due to the traction control system seeing the difference. You could limp it off the trail if that is what you’re asking. You just can’t run it on a limited slip type diff.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I have a BFG KM3 37" that fits in my spare tire location. I suppose I could still use that tire even If I had 38's? When I think about a donut wheel on a regular car, its much smaller but it works for a quick trip to get fixed. I assume a 37" could work also for the 38"? What's the cons to that? ( Im sure there are some).....just curious
You will also be limited to a four tire rotation. That means, in the long run, you’ll have one tire that will need to be replaced without ever being used when it times out.

LVMohave

You will also be limited to a four tire rotation. That means, in the long run, you’ll have one tire that will need to be replaced without ever being used when it times out.
I get your point and I'm ok with that. The spare is a new KM3 37" I got for $200 cash. Also- majority of spare tires I see on Jeeps (mostly Wranglers) the spare isn't rotated, they all look new.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I get your point and I'm ok with that. The spare is a new KM3 37" I got for $200 cash. Also- majority of spare tires I see on Jeeps (mostly Wranglers) the spare isn't rotated, they all look new.
If all your friends jumped off a cliff…

The dealerships seem to default to a 4 tire rotation. Tire rotations are free with the "Jeep Wave" program for two years. Customers get screwed.

benatc1

Hooked
2 philosophies with 4 or 5 tire rotation, either your tires last 20% longer or you only have to buy 4 instead of 5 tires, really will come down to what you think your next set of tires will be

2 philosophies with 4 or 5 tire rotation, either your tires last 20% longer or you only have to buy 4 instead of 5 tires, really will come down to what you think your next set of tires will be
When you finally install your sun-burned spare, it will behave differently than the other tires, causing a driving hazard.

benatc1

Hooked
When you finally install your sun-burned spare, it will behave differently than the other tires, causing a driving hazard.
No doubt but if you do a 5 tire that will rotate in every 5k miles or so and no issue, 4 tires and tire just leaving it up there to look pretty anyway lol

Top Bottom