Tj question

Maml

Thank you; I had an idea it wasn't as easy as it looks:doh:...but didn't realize it meant stretching it & moving shock towers etc around.

It seems to modify these tjs to any reasonable level one has to do some serious custom work :(

nyglt56

[QUOTE=It seems to modify these tjs to any reasonable level one has to do some serious custom work :(

That's debatable, you can build a really really capable tj with strictly bolt ons. Standard 3-4" lift, 35s, axles, lockers, etc, etc. it's when you get into fine tweaking things on the tj's where things get messy.

Maml

Hmmm. Good to hear that - I like 'bolt-on' :)

Is it possible to run 35's with std 'Sahara' axles or does one have to upgrade? If so, will beeping up the std axles work?

TrailBear

Hmmm. Good to hear that - I like 'bolt-on' :)

Is it possible to run 35's with std 'Sahara' axles or does one have to upgrade? If so, will beeping up the std axles work?

You can run 35's on the stock axles, but the rear is a time bomb the shafts are to weak, if you keep it open it will last a little longer over locked up. I'm afraid to lock my rear with my 33's. What year is your tj? You may be lucky and have a 44 under it, then you can get away with it.

Maml

It's an '04...not sure what rear axle I have, will take a pic later.

So with uprated shafts it'll be good? What about the axle housing - would I need to strengthen it?
Not much chance I'll get hold of bigger axles here.

Really like a lcg setup though.

nyglt56

So with uprated shafts it'll be good? What about the axle housing - would I need to strengthen it?

With an 04 you should have a d44 with 3.73s. I ran 35s on thAt setup for 6 months. Did alright.

TrailBear

As far as I know in 03 or 04 they started to put 44's in the rear, in the club here I have run with a guy that ran 35's on the same set up with no real issues, it all depends how hard you wheel it. New shafts and sleeves or a truss can't hurt to extend the life of it.

Moabrubi

Chromoly shafts are good insurance for big tires. The axle housing on TJ's isn't like JK's so it is plenty strong for 35's. With my 4link/3link I'm trussing my axles which will make them even stronger.

If you have the D30/D44 you would be fine, but if you want it to be better you could always pick up an HP30 from an XJ, or a Waggy 44 and throw that in the front. D44 from a TJ or a Ford 8.8 in the rear works good for 35s as well. Throw some gears, ARB's, Chromoly shafts and you would be good to go. If you go crazy then you can 4link your rear suspension and climb like a billy goat and have a stronger housing.

Top Bottom