Tj question

Hellfire

I too is wondering what is a good 4" lift kit for 35' tires. I'm debating on buying a stock TJ and lifting it myself or buying it already done.

Also...whats the differance of running the long arms vs the short arms?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I too is wondering what is a good 4" lift kit for 35' tires. I'm debating on buying a stock TJ and lifting it myself or buying it already done.

Also...whats the differance of running the long arms vs the short arms?

The control arms on a TJ are really really short and the taller you go, the more your suspension geometry will be off. Long arms require you to physically relocate your control arm frame mounts and by virtue of it, allow you to run much longer arms. By lengthening your arms, you can reduce the angle they sit at and that will greatly improve your ride. At 4" of lift, you really want to have long arms if you can afford it. I've run 35's on an RE 3.5" Superflex kit and 1" body lift and it got the job done but, I was much happier after upgrading to a Full-Traction long arm kit. You also have to remember to address your slip yoke if you don't get a Rubicon.

Hellfire

Thanks for the quick reply...

The website says for a 4 inch kit you could only fit 33" tires...the 1" body lift allow you to run 35"...or did you buy the 6" lift.

Also, one last question...I live close to the rubicon...would I be able to drive a Jeep with this kit thourgh the trail. I'm also wanting to go to moab down the road.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply...

The website says for a 4 inch kit you could only fit 33" tires...the 1" body lift allow you to run 35"...or did you buy the 6" lift.

With a 3.5" lift, you can clear can clear 35's with a little bit of rubbing. With the addition of a 1" body lift, you can do it without any problems. I did go with a 6" FT long arm kit but, I was also running 37's at that time.

Also, one last question...I live close to the rubicon...would I be able to drive a Jeep with this kit thourgh the trail. I'm also wanting to go to moab down the road.

You can take a TJ running 31's through the Rubicon now as it's small enough and narrow enough to wiggle around the few bigger obstacles that are still there. If you want to take harder lines, I would recommend at least 33's.

xjryder

If you are wanting to do a 6 inch lift kit these are the things that you will need if you wanna do a 8.8 kit, and bracket kit from Rusty's offroad, a Super88 kit from baselin4x4.com, doing a 35 or 37 your gonna need a 4:88 ring and pinion from Yukon(baseline4x4)and a master install kit, and a shop that does regearing, SYE kit, and driveshafts front and rear, you can do a gusset/truss kit for your D30

NatedTJ

If you are wanting to do a 6 inch lift kit these are the things that you will need if you wanna do a 8.8 kit, and bracket kit from Rusty's offroad, a Super88 kit from baselin4x4.com, doing a 35 or 37 your gonna need a 4:88 ring and pinion from Yukon(baseline4x4)and a master install kit, and a shop that does regearing, SYE kit, and driveshafts front and rear, you can do a gusset/truss kit for your D30

THANKS for all that info. ill make sure to take the note

BEE'S TWIN

After looking a Vengeance and seeing its capability. How or what do you do to get the LCG but also the bigger tires? I am a little lost on that part? Can I just keep my 4 inch lift I have now? Do different fenders or something?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After looking a Vengeance and seeing its capability. How or what do you do to get the LCG but also the bigger tires? I am a little lost on that part? Can I just keep my 4 inch lift I have now? Do different fenders or something?

On a TJ, you would have to do some stretching and trimming to get up on bigger tires and without going too much higher up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know of a write up or anything on how to do this?

Write-up? Not exactly. You would have to do some chopping of your tub and have custom links made. There might be a kit out there but, I've been out of the TJ scene too long to know for sure. I think we've talked about it before but EVO should be coming out with something soon.

nyglt56

Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post here. Happy holidays first off.

Bees twin: there are many things you can do to achieve a lcg on a tj however it isn't cheap nor easy. I myself run a lift about 1.25" above stock height on 35s soon to be 37s.

I would recommend looking at high line fenders, jks have a natural high line while the tjs do not.

Clearance is key. Always but more so the lower you are for obvious reasons.

In terms of suspension, so long as you don't forget this bit you can achieve plenty of usefull flex. For your 4" I suggest you keep and distance the coil buckets. Cut and raise them. This allows full spring load of the 4" whilst maintaining a lower lift. Also for the added down travel, ford shock towers are a nice alternative to running longer shocks on a low lift.

Phew that was a lot of info. Like I said, it's not cheap. But when you pull it off its amazing.

Attachments

• image-1717799555.jpg
    image-1717799555.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image-2021127174.jpg
    image-2021127174.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 28
  • image-4210338133.jpg
    image-4210338133.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image-2629866707.jpg
    image-2629866707.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 26
  • image-1670950339.jpg
    image-1670950339.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

nyglt56

Wow! That is one awesome looking TJ!
Any details on the build or kit used?

Sure: I'll just suspension for now.

Rough Country 2.5 progressive coil (don't buy RC for anything other than this coil)

Rokkmen jjs all round.

Small stretch ~95"

Ford shock towers all around

12" bilsteins all round.

That's basically it. The progressive coil sits low enough to my liking while providing the flex a 4" coil would give. However, sometime in the next month or so I'd like to get the currie 4" and raise my upper coil buckets and build a solid high clearance mid arm.

Top Bottom