To fender chop or not to fender chop

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running 315's right now with 2.5" AEV which netted me slightly over 3". With new used soft top I'm not sure I can fit 37's into my garage with more lift. I was thinking of just chopping and then stuffing 37's and adding a 1" BL if necessary.

You won't be able to clear 37's with just 3" of lift EVEN IF you chop your fenders. Even with a lot of trimming of the body, I can barely clear my 37's with 3.5" of lift. In other words, even with a 1" body lift will help you get there, you will still need to do some body trimming and your soft top will still sit 1" taller on top of whatever your tires give you.

DallasJKU

You won't be able to clear 37's with just 3" of lift EVEN IF you chop your fenders. Even with a lot of trimming of the body, I can barely clear my 37's with 3.5" of lift. In other words, even with a 1" body lift will help you get there, you will still need to do some body trimming and your soft top will still sit 1" taller on top of whatever your tires give you.

That's my fear and having D30's, I'm not sure if I should go the 37" route. I use the Jeep more for camping and never for rocks so that might make a difference, but I'm not sure if 37's are a good idea. Maybe a true 35" tire would be a better upgrade. Does anyone know which ones are true 35's??

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That's my fear and having D30's, I'm not sure if I should go the 37" route. I use the Jeep more for camping and never for rocks so that might make a difference, but I'm not sure if 37's are a good idea. Maybe a true 35" tire would be a better upgrade. Does anyone know which ones are true 35's??

There isn't one.

JAGS

Hooked

There isn't one.

^^^Exactly. But some 37s" are more like 36". Not sure if that helps. :thinking:

BBG

Well I ran with d30's upgraded to cv axles in the front ran 37 inch tires with metalcloak overline fenders front and rear and rough country 3.25 lift had no issues with breaking or rubbing. Just make sure you have bump stop extensions to take care of the up travel.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I ran with d30's upgraded to cv axles in the front ran 37 inch tires with metalcloak overline fenders front and rear and rough country 3.25 lift had no issues with breaking or rubbing. Just make sure you have bump stop extensions to take care of the up travel.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you really were able to clear your rear pinch seam without any rubbing and without trimming it, your lift gave you way more lift that what is advertised.

DallasJKU

I don't mind trimming whatever needs to be trimmed. I just don't want my poor little D30's to break. Are there any 35's that run bigger than my 315 DT's??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind trimming whatever needs to be trimmed. I just don't want my poor little D30's to break. Are there any 35's that run bigger than my 315 DT's??

No. An advertised 35" tire will measure closer to what you would get on a 305. A 315 will typically be bigger.

DallasJKU

No. An advertised 35" tire will measure closer to what you would get on a 305. A 315 will typically be bigger.

For parking in my garage and so my dog can jump in and out of the Jeep, I need to keep the jeep as low as possible. Just looking at the fenders, I would think cutting that two inches off is more than enough to run 37's. Am I wrong??

Top Bottom