Too much backspacing?

RockIt Man

Now I have heard of having too little backspacing as it can cause issues with rubbing etc.

My question is, can you have too much? The reason why I ask this is because I own some Spyderlock wheels that were only available in a 5x5.5 so I had to buy the Spidertrax adapters to fit them. They are the same size as the standard spacers that they sell at 1.5 inches. Will this combination cause my wheels to stick out too far?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now I have heard of having too little backspacing as it can cause issues with rubbing etc.

My question is, can you have too much? The reason why I ask this is because I own some Spyderlock wheels that were only available in a 5x5.5 so I had to buy the Spidertrax adapters to fit them. They are the same size as the standard spacers that they sell at 1.5 inches. Will this combination cause my wheels to stick out too far?

i think you got that mixed up. more back spacing will pull your tires in toward the frame and too much will cause rubbing/clearance issues and less back spacing will push your tires outward. too little back spacing will put added stress on your wheel bearings but honestly, not enough to really matter. if you haven't gusseted your axle c's, the greater leverage will promote the bending of them too. things like your rear axle shaft flanges will be subject to more stress too but, if you wheel hard enough, everything will find a way of having an issue.

regarding your situation, i have run spiderlocks with adapters just like you are wanting to and didn't have too many issues.

RockIt Man

I was afraid that I would get the terminology incorrect. So I do have the 20" spyderlocks and I was considering changing over to 17" slabs. Do you think they will ever make 20" slabs? I know you have 20s but aren't they Spyderlock wheels with slab rings?

Top Bottom