Towing your Jeep vs. Driving it

JAGS

Hooked
Hell, I live close to the Rubicon and have had people from the forum contact me to bring parts and a welder that they didn't know they needed, out to them.

Can you tell me more about this. Lmao. [emoji23][emoji23]

Lil Nasty

I was going to ask about flat towing. I have a '14 JKU with a 3.5 inch lift. I also have a mid width dumper with the armor underneath which covered the frame. All the flat tow stuff I have seen I would have to remove that skid plate. I did see a pull bar that hooks to the d-ring mounts, but I worry that it would put to much stress for long periods of time on the bumper. How is your Jeep set up for flat towing. I would be pulling behind a motor home as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you ask LOD will give you the pull bar brackets already welded to the bumper for no extra cost when ordering. I didn't know and didn't get them. I'm not running a skid plate in the front so I don't have that issue. If I had the poison spyder shackle mounts or even then new lod destroyer stuff with the really nice thick d ring mounts if feel more comfortable attaching to those but the old lod is only like 3/16" and I'm not comfortable with them for that purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NavyJeeper

The other thing that makes no sense to me is how much a tow rig + trailer costs. For the money, there's a LOT of quality parts you can buy for your Jeep to make it perform on the trail AND make it more comfortable and dependable.

I think this is the main reason I try and keep my jeep as road legal as possible. I guess if I had some f&@ck you money it would be a different story, but as the saying goes mo money mo problems. [emoji854] hahaha

deadguy

Assuming whatever the break is can't be fixed, yeah, you can definitely drag someone out or have someone in your group head into town and pick up parts. Hell, I live close to the Rubicon and have had people from the forum contact me to bring parts and a welder that they didn't know they needed, out to them.

This ^^^^

The money you would spend to buy a truck and trailer could EASILY pay for parts that you really need to help prevent "major breakdowns". Me, I'd be more concerned about breaking down 3,000 miles away from home than at a local off road park that's been having a "bad spell". But then, that's just me.

For me, it's the BEST part of owning a Jeep. If the only thing I were interested in was off-roading, I'd by a side-by-side and trailer it behind a high MPG car.

LOL!! Makes perfect sense to me. Drive a brick in the wind that gets crappy MPG for road trips but then trailer it to off road parks to give you PEACE of mind because you don't trust it. :crazyeyes:

With my job and home life I own a pickup that I use for work travel and home use, so having a trailer to tow my rig when I want to be a little harder on it off road just made sense to me. I trust my Jeep and my work 100%, I just dont feel like having a fun trip turn into a complete disaster if I have (or one of the people I wheel with) a major breakage and I'd rather not put 120+ miles a day on my Jeep that I'm trying to hold on to for a long time. I already racked up 140k DD it for years. To each his own, as long as your enjoying the damn thing that's all that matters.

Sent from a guy with a jeep

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With my job and home life I own a pickup that I use for work travel and home use, so having a trailer to tow my rig when I want to be a little harder on it off road just made sense to me. I trust my Jeep and my work 100%, I just dont feel like having a fun trip turn into a complete disaster if I have (or one of the people I wheel with) a major breakage and I'd rather not put 120+ miles a day on my Jeep that I'm trying to hold on to for a long time. I already racked up 140k DD it for years. To each his own, as long as your enjoying the damn thing that's all that matters.

I see that you're out in the east coast and I know that trailering out to the parks is what a lot of guys do out there. Out in my neck of the woods, I wouldn't even have a clue as to where I'd park one being that a lot of our trails start on one end and can end 200 miles away. Out here, the idea of relying on a trailer "just in case" something bad happens is laughable. But, if you already have a truck and trailer, more power to you. I suppose my comments were more in regard to guys who don't. For them, I personally think it's silly to spend the kind of money needed to buy a tow rig and trailer "just in case" when you could easily use that money to build up your Jeep and in a way that'll give you peace of mind. But, like you said, as long as you're enjoying the damn thing, that's all that matters. :yup:

ob_tj

I see that you're out in the east coast and I know that trailering out to the parks is what a lot of guys do out there. Out in my neck of the woods, I wouldn't even have a clue as to where I'd park one being that a lot of our trails start on one end and can end 200 miles away. Out here, the idea of relying on a trailer "just in case" something bad happens is laughable. But, if you already have a truck and trailer, more power to you. I suppose my comments were more in regard to guys who don't. For them, I personally think it's silly to spend the kind of money needed to buy a tow rig and trailer "just in case" when you could easily use that money to build up your Jeep and in a way that'll give you peace of mind. But, like you said, as long as you're enjoying the damn thing, that's all that matters. :yup:
Seems like a lot of hassle to me. I knew a guy that would trailer his rig to the dusy and have someone park it near the gate of Kaiser pass.

deadguy

I agree with you 100%.... And on that note I would love to wheel out west on those types of trails. Definitely a bucket list deal for me.

Sent from a guy with a jeep

Brute

Hooked
I enjoy the road trip in a Jeep...I'll be driving the 1100 miles, 16 hr trip from Seattle to Moab again this year in two days...same with 800 miles & 13 hours to the Rubicon, ditto 1200 miles to Mojave...it's all part of the experience...

AdrockTT

You guys make me feel less nuts about planning to drive my jeep out to all the fun places I have in mind to wheel it. The "trailer everywhere" crowd has made me think I'm crazy and induced some paranoia...so I appreciate the motivation! :)

meljr

Used to Trailer my Jeeps, now I don't so much

When I bought my JKU in 2008, I already had a Dodge 2500 and trailer that I used mostly for taking my race car to the drag strip (after you make certain modifications, driving to the track isn't an option anymore), so I started out trailering the Jeep to off road destinations just out of habit, including a trip to N Cal for a JK-Forum event in 2009.

With a little more experience under my belt, I hardly every trailer the Jeep. Instead, if is a long distance trip or an over-nighter, I will often pull a small home built teardrop trailer behind the Jeep. I will sometimes tow the Jeep behind a larger RV when my wife comes along, just because I already have the trailer and don't want to go to the trouble of setting up the Jeeps for flat towing.

So, I have evolved from towing out of habit to trying to avoid towing when possible. Also, I have experienced a number of flat tires/blowouts while towing, even with properly inflated relatively new trailer tires. Take it from me, changing tires on a loaded trailer isn't any fun.

NiagriaRimAug2009.jpg

By the way, that is Eddie and Cindy taking the pictures at the JK-Forum event!

Top Bottom