Toyo Tire Weight = Power Hit?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Lift on, wheels installed, definitely feel the extra weight. Jeep feels heavier overall. I can see where regearing would be helpful. Gonna ride this way for awhile, re-evaluate. Brakes ok.

Seems to wander tho... have to constantly make small corrections. Steering seems tight, but wheels seem loose. Going for alignment, see how it feels after. Replace steering damper?

Any pics?

Unless your steering stabilizer is bent, I wouldn't waste money on a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Lift on, wheels installed, definitely feel the extra weight. Jeep feels heavier overall. I can see where regearing would be helpful. Gonna ride this way for awhile, re-evaluate. Brakes ok.

Seems to wander tho... have to constantly make small corrections. Steering seems tight, but wheels seem loose. Going for alignment, see how it feels after. Replace steering damper?

It's either your alignment or the larger/more aggressive tires just following the road crowns more than usual.
Steering stabilizer doesn't affect your alignment unless it's nitrogen charged (stay away from these)

** Might want to check your Caster as well and see what it's at.

Looks good! Keep an eye on those transmission temps the first while.
I had a bit of overheating before I regeared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacalore

It's either your alignment or the larger/more aggressive tires just following the road crowns more than usual.
Steering stabilizer doesn't affect your alignment unless it's nitrogen charged (stay away from these)

Yes, the blacktop roads around here (the Pine Barrens, where Paulie was wacked) are grooved, so that may account for a large part of the wander.

I wouldn't think adding 120 lbs in tire weight requires regearing?

Last edited:

Jacalore

** Might want to check your Caster as well and see what it's at.

Would adding the Teraflex Leveling kit affect the castor?

How can you check the castor? Is it part of an alignment? Correctable?

Jacalore

The alignment helped the wander. Added a Fox steering stabilizer just for good measure. Steers and handles fine now. But, man, the acceleration hit is noticeable. With a/c on forgetaboutit.

Looking into regearing... getting a lot of wildly different recommendations from shops and parts houses. And the price...

madstiles

The alignment helped the wander. Added a Fox steering stabilizer just for good measure. Steers and handles fine now. But, man, the acceleration hit is noticeable. With a/c on forgetaboutit.

Looking into regearing... getting a lot of wildly different recommendations from shops and parts houses. And the price...
Gearing in Panama city Florida where I am is $300 per axle for labor plus parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Regearing can cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 for both axles. This should include parts and labor. If you don't have a Rubicon and are considering lockers some day, this would be the time to do it being that you'll only have to pay for labor once.

Jacalore

In a perfect world, done. But I can't justify the price. On the beach no prob, but around town, on a hot day, she's a pig.

Top Bottom