Trail Ready Beadlock Wheels Installation Write-Up

jdofmemi

I’ve had three sets of TR’s (one set I sold when I replaced the axles on Brute and needed more backspacing)...and really like them.

I’ve only had one issue, which came up recently...I heard a noise coming from my rear wheel area, and pulled over repeatedly while heading out to the Cascades to fish (hard to believe)...when I got back and pulled off the wheel thinking it was a brake noise, I found that the stud holes had enlarged; the lug nuts where not loose...I think the cause was due to the lug nuts mating surface degraded somehow. I contacted TR, and even though the wheel was more than a year old, they said they would replace it under warranty. When I get back to WA in a couple weeks, I’m driving up to their place...they will remove my tire from the wheel and remount it on the new wheel. I’m actually looking forward to checking out their shop and hope to get a tour...

From the looks of the cone on the lug nuts shown, they were loose. It don't take much for the wheel to work around and cause oblong holes.

I would recommend new nuts, as well as new studs, as the old ones have been compromised.

I recognize this, and am now quite in tune with the vibration and noise loose lug nuts cause, after having it happen after the Moab trip, and again after the Rubicon trip.

I caught it faster the second time, before any studs broke.

I'm not sure the cause the first time, as I had checked them before leaving, after changing tires, and after I had drove a while, but did not check after 8 trails in Moab. I drove too long trying to figure out the slight vibration. It first felt like small ridges in the pavement, but was too consistent for that. Slowing down made it more pronounced, and seemed to accelerate the problem. I seen I was coming to a town and drove on to get under lights, when I should have stopped right away. By the time I stopped, two studs were broken.

The second time, I failed to remember to check my lug nuts after the Rubicon, especially since we had a wheel off to change axles, and that is the one that came loose on the way home. I recognized the problem much sooner due to past experience, and when I stopped, the lugs were barely loose, but it was enough to make a slight vibration that many would ignore, except for prior experience.

Brute

Hooked
When I pulled my wheel off, the lug nuts were tight...which was perplexing to me. I usually check the lug nuts prior to any long distance trip. It would also be unusual to have all 8 lug nuts loosen simultaneously...

Ddays

Hooked
I’ve had three sets of TR’s (one set I sold when I replaced the axles on Brute and needed more backspacing)...and really like them.

I’ve only had one issue, which came up recently...I heard a noise coming from my rear wheel area, and pulled over repeatedly while heading out to the Cascades to fish (hard to believe)...when I got back and pulled off the wheel thinking it was a brake noise, I found that the stud holes had enlarged; the lug nuts where not loose...I think the cause was due to the lug nuts mating surface degraded somehow. I contacted TR, and even though the wheel was more than a year old, they said they would replace it under warranty. When I get back to WA in a couple weeks, I’m driving up to their place...they will remove my tire from the wheel and remount it on the new wheel. I’m actually looking forward to checking out their shop and hope to get a tour...

Ed, it would be the cats ass if they allowed you to take pics of their shop and processes if they allow it. Hope I'm not imposing but that'd be cool as shit if you made a TR thread on their wheel manufacturing! I'd even quit bitching about the burnout video :D

I’d be concerned about those bolt heads sticking out like that. If you wheel in the rocks, they’re going to get chewed up.

Compare to the ATX wheel.

View attachment 332785
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This has been my only concern to this point and one of the biggest reasons I liked the ATX wheels. If it's kosher to mount less the washers and they're at least flush with the rings, I could happily live with that.

jdofmemi

Here is a close up of mine. Not quite as good of an angle as Fiend but you can see the difference.

The bolt heads are just flush, not recessed like his are.

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_190816_174249899_crop_732x694.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_190816_174249899_crop_732x694.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 87

Brute

Hooked
Ed, it would be the cats ass if they allowed you to take pics of their shop and processes if they allow it. Hope I'm not imposing but that'd be cool as shit if you made a TR thread on their wheel manufacturing! I'd even quit bitching about the burnout video :D

This has been my only concern to this point and one of the biggest reasons I liked the ATX wheels. If it's kosher to mount less the washers and they're at least flush with the rings, I could happily live with that.

Ha!...I guess the best case scenario would be to have a tour of the place with a burnout in their parking lot when I left...

Ddays

Hooked
Ha!...I guess the best case scenario would be to have a tour of the place with a burnout in their parking lot when I left...

Well, wouldn't that be the proper way to leave anywhere in a Hellcat Jeep :idontknow:

I freely admit to being totally immature with horsepower.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well, wouldn't that be the proper way to leave anywhere in a Hellcat Jeep :idontknow:

I freely admit to being totally immature with horsepower.

A few things most guys are immature about.

1. Burnouts
2. Doing doughnuts
3. Farts...haha.

Brute

Hooked
I’m going to be at Trail Ready in about two weeks...they agreed to give me a short tour of the place; with their permission, I’m going to take some pics. They will remove my tire from the bad wheel and remount it on the new one...

Ddays

Hooked
I’m going to be at Trail Ready in about two weeks...they agreed to give me a short tour of the place; with their permission, I’m going to take some pics. They will remove my tire from the bad wheel and remount it on the new one...

Sweet!

Hey, if they have any coupons can you grab me one? :brows:

bhaner

How did that go? I started looking for a 2nd set of beadlocks and noticed that they were actually in Mount Vernon, Wa!

Top Bottom