Tramlining or Wandering on 35's

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

1. There is no way that this tire on a full sized truck would EVER track like that - or they would no longer be in production. I've owned this tire in many different sizes with no issue.

2. I will post the number as soon as I have it on each Wrangler. I have a feeling we all need to add or remove caster, being that we all added tire size.

3. I'm not the one complaining about it, as I don't drive far - or often. The wife and the coworker are the ones complaining. It was "so bad" that on a 5 hour road trip, he had to stop and take a rest because it was tiring constantly feeding steering input.

I'm looking for constructive help, not cheeky tough guy responses.

1.my nittos pull to the left, maybe they should shut down shop.
2.post all the numbers you want, buy a angle finder and check yourself instead of wasting money at a shop.
3.you are complaining, people have tried to help but you refuse to accept help.
4. that last part wasn't necessary, i still believe it's in your head. good luck fixing your "trammeling" issue.

cstishenko

Well that escalated quickly... Apparently keyboard tough guys can be found ANYWHERE there is an internet forum.

And it's called "tramlining".
Apparently when driving a Jeep, handling like a bucket of shit is "a wayalife"

Thanks to those who helped.
:beer:

olram30

Well that escalated quickly... Apparently keyboard tough guys can be found ANYWHERE there is an internet forum.

Glad I could help👍

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
funny how people add wider tires and expect them to be the same as stock tires. :crazyeyes:

Also, if I am reading everything correctly, the Duratracs are mounted on factory wheels. The minimum rim width approved by Goodyear for the 315 is 8.5", however, the factory wheels are 7.5".

Not only will a wider than stock tire track differently, it not being mounted on the correct wheel will compound the problem.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

And apparently thin skinned guys can be found as well.....

olram30

Also, if I am reading everything correctly, the Duratracs are mounted on factory wheels. The minimum rim width approved by Goodyear for the 315 is 8.5", however, the factory wheels are 7.5".

Not only will a wider than stock tire track differently, it not being mounted on the correct wheel will compound the problem.

Yeah, but he won't listen. Probably blame flat fenders again. Lol..

Had to look up "tramlining".

Attachments

• 1429745413835.jpg
    1429745413835.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 64

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

Folks are trying to help. There are lots of knowledgeable people here on the forum, and it helps to listen.

Tires can be the cause of handling issues. I started with 35" BFG Mud Terrains and had all kinds of balancing issues. I swapped to Nittos and can confirm the slight left pull. That said, my Jeep does not follow the road and actually is a pleasure to drive.

As mentioned a few times, either a) you genuinely have a handling problem, or b) you expect your Jeep to drive like a Caddy.

From a handling standpoint, you really need to get your caster numbers. If all you did was lift via pucks, caster was decreased. I can personally attest that the difference in .5-.7* of caster can make a HUGE difference in handling. When I ditched the goofy correction brackets in favor of EVO arms, my first test drive was at 3.6* of caster. It was all over the road. Pulled it back in the garage and tweaked the caster to 4.3*ish and it drove like a dream! :)

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

5 times in this thread you yourself said it started when you went to the bigger tire. That was the only thing that changed, the bigger tire.

Then people tell you it's probably the tires, you then say it can't be. It's possible that all three of you had issues at separate times and are just noticing them all at the same time now because your more aware of it and are paying more attention to them.

You have yet to give out your castor numbers.

dwmgcs

WTF is tramlining?

from Wikipedia:
For the rail-borne mode of transport, see Tramway (industrial).

Rain grooved road that can cause tramlining
Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does. The same effect is sometimes called Nibbling.

Tramlining can usually be blamed on tires, and its incidence depends greatly on the model of tire and its state of wear. Although not normally dangerous, at very high speeds it can become a source of instability.

Vehicles with large and wide low profile tires are more prone to the effects as well as vehicles which have wheels fitted that are larger than the manufacturers recommendation or have reinforced sidewalls. People who are relatively inexperienced with driving with this tendency will feel that they have to make continual course corrections and it is very easy to overcompensate the steering, which could potentially lead to veering off the road especially if the road is a narrow track/country road.

The effects of tramlining can be eased by subjecting the vehicle to an inspection and calibration of the wheels (i.e. a full geometry check) or replacing the tires with non-reinforced (soft sidewall) tires.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
from Wikipedia:
For the rail-borne mode of transport, see Tramway (industrial).

Rain grooved road that can cause tramlining
Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does. The same effect is sometimes called Nibbling.

Tramlining can usually be blamed on tires, and its incidence depends greatly on the model of tire and its state of wear. Although not normally dangerous, at very high speeds it can become a source of instability.

Vehicles with large and wide low profile tires are more prone to the effects as well as vehicles which have wheels fitted that are larger than the manufacturers recommendation or have reinforced sidewalls. People who are relatively inexperienced with driving with this tendency will feel that they have to make continual course corrections and it is very easy to overcompensate the steering, which could potentially lead to veering off the road especially if the road is a narrow track/country road.

The effects of tramlining can be eased by subjecting the vehicle to an inspection and calibration of the wheels (i.e. a full geometry check) or replacing the tires with non-reinforced (soft sidewall) tires.

So the definition of the word he used, answered his question..... at least according to Wikipedia.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Every time someone gave you advice you turned it down. Seems like you got what you came for.

And I believe when a jeep drives like shit it's called 'cstishenko' and is found in Canadian jeeps.

Top Bottom