Tramlining or Wandering on 35's

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
So OP, now that we have the definition of Tramlining, what was the load rating of the 285/70/17s and and what is the load rating of the 315/70/17s?

dwmgcs

Well the problem started when he changed tires, came here to ask for help, got a lot of good answers especially about the tires but seems like he won't accept that its the tires, his own terminology on Wikipedia says its probably the tires, all he had to do was look it up.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Well that throws my idea out the window. :grayno:

All three have the same tire, so that's the common theme. Plus adding larger tires doesn't always help with shitty roads. I'm going to just blame the shitty Canadian roads at this point.
Case closed.

cstishenko

I'd check your app there bud... It was the first thing that came up in Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining

Every time I was given advice, I had a response.

" Loosen and re-torque control arms when vehicle is weighted " I did.
" Hunter Roadforce balance the tires" They were.
" Maybe it threw off a hammer on weight" They are all sticky weights, and all still there.
" Check your alignment" All are correct, one Jeep is 100% stock suspension wise.
" Swap to another set of tires to see if it follows" We had 285/70/17's with no issue. I don't have other 35's to try on my wheels without buying some.
" Changing your toe helps nothing, it only masks" Mask or help.. It helped - just not enough.
" Caster should be 4 degrees" I will measure.
" 2.5" spring lift yields more than 2.5" No I don't think so. It's an AEV lift and it gained around 2.5" height.
" Have you rotated the tires?" yes back and forth, and between vehicles even.
" Do you have mud inside the wheels?" NO.

" It's all in your head." Yes. yes that must be it.
" you are complaining." Yes. because i'm dealing with a stock suspension Jeep that drives like shit.
" you are not taking advice." I DON'T HAVE ANOTHER SET OF 35'S TO TRY, WITHOUT BUYING SOME.

Points to note:
MedixJK stated that he had no issue, 35's and stock wheels - but has aftermarket LCA's.
RyanAZ stated that he had this issue in Fj cruisers - the tread pattern alone caused an issue, size for size.

I will check my caster as soon as I get out of the office here, and attempt to find another set of 35's to mount on my wheels. That's all I can do at this point.

Thanks to those who were helpful. I'll post my caster results, and if I need further assistance.

I've done everything EXCEPT install wider wheels, or adjustable control arms. Caster will be checked as soon as I can get away from the office.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If you think your bone stock jeep rides like shit, maybe a jeep isn't the vehicle for you.
Comparing a solid front axle vehicle and a fj is laughable.

Aev lifts are stiff and ride like shit. Yes, even though you won't believe me, coil lifts give more lift than advertised. Aev are stiff ass coils mixed with a light jeep is going to ride rough.

Read that wiki page again out loud at your office to yourself. There is your answer. Same thing people have been saying since this thread started.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Your stock suspension jeep that drives like shit has bigger tires on it.

Do you know anybody that you could use their wheels and tires for a bit? They don't have to be 35s. If it is an issue with anything on the jeep you should see it with any size tire on it.

I run 35s on factory wheels with wheel spacers and have no issues.

My 2.5 inch lift lifted the front more than 2.5 inches. Most coil lifts do that expecting you to install heavier bumpers and a winch. So once it settles with all the weight then it will be 2.5 inches.

cstishenko

Hey dumbass, 1.75" spacer lift is NOT stock suspension.

You clearly don't read. YOU are the dumbass... I've said multiple times now - it had spacers, but took them out and came back to 100% stock.

Wifes:
2014 Rubicon Unlimited / 5 Auto / 4.10's
1.75" Front Daystar Pucks / .75" Rear Daystar Pucks / Rancho 7000MT shocks
Rear swaybar link in the front / Long brakelines
Spidertrax 1.5" spacers / 315/70/17 GY Duratrac tires / Rubicon Wheels
Bushwacker flats/ Stubby Front Bumper / Winch on framerails
34 PSI
(Took Daystar pucks out of rear, no help. Took out of front, bringing vehicle back to 100% stock. No Help)
(Have been all over the map with tire pressure)
(Torqued all suspension under vehicle weight)

The problem is no one is reading my attempted remedies, and just posting whatever they feel like.

- My caster is 4.2* and 4.4*

I find it hard to believe - but i'm going to attempt to track down another set of 35's to see if the issue persists.

Last edited:

cstishenko

Post a video of you driving down the highway so we can all see what you are experiencing.......

Thanks Ty. Let me see what I can do on this.

- I now know others are running stock wheels, big tires no issue.
- My caster is bang on.
- Toe is at 1.8th in.
- I'm having a hard time accepting it is the tires - because I just bought ten... and don't want to buy ten more just to potentially have the same issue.

I'll see if I can track down a set of 35's..... Because there is no issue on 33" tires.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
A lift rated at 2.5" is rated as such with the understanding that the jeep will have heavy aftermarket bumpers, a winch, and maybe even a rear tire carrier. I have yet to see 2.5" springs that only netted 2.5" of height, but maybe that's just me.

I would skip mounting different tires on your wheels. Borrow someone else's wheels and tires for a test drive on your Jeep.

Without personally driving your Jeep, it's hard to guess what is going on. Without question, wider tires get pulled around by road ruts and snow tracks exponentially more than pizza cutters.

cstishenko

Update*

My two Jeeps are fixed, the coworkers is not.

We traded my Willys in on a 15' WK2 Limited for our highway use.
Great highway machine, and the 8 speed is amazing. Issue Fixed.

We took the wifes' Rubicon and added 9" wide wheels.
It helped the issues at low speeds, but at high speeds there was no change.
Pulling everywhere, a constant steering battle. Thinking because more tire is on the pavement, greater forces when grabbing at ruts.

I decided to try track bars, as it felt almost like the axles were walking in the frame rails.
I ended up buying a 2.5" JKS lift that came with replacement heavy-duty track bars.
Boom! issue fixed, even at high speed.
Caster is still bang on 4* even at the 2.5" lift.
It's nice to finally have it drive properly.

The coworkers Rubicon with the AEV lift… Did not come with Trackbars.
He is still all over the place, no matter the tire pressure.
Needless to say, he may end up buying track bars too.

:crazyeyes:

jknikos

Its nice to hear you have your problem fixed. :thumb: But its hard for me to understand how aftermarket trackbars play such a huge role though.... :thinking:

Top Bottom