transfer case subject

does it matter if you have a manual or automatic for the transfer case? Can a transfer case from a auto work with a manual? I can't seem to find a straight answer.
I don't think it would make a diff, but i'm unsure. :naw:

mrmet1983

Hmm never thought about that, I wud think that it doesn't matter but not sure about this at all.

Sent from my JK

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
this would be interesting to know for if i even tried to get a rubi transfer for my sport

Showroom

I just picked up a rubi transfer case from a 2010 automatic to put in my 2012 sport with auto. Like you couldn't find a lot of info about it but when I posted a similar question a couple weeks ago I was told it would work but then I'm going auto to auto. I'm not going to have time to do the swap for a couple weeks but when I do I'll post up. The cases do look a little different but as long as to bolt pattern and output shaft in my tranny are the same then it should work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know why there would be different part numbers or different price. I have seen T-cases out of both and they are exactly the same. In fact, we installed an automatic T-case on our manual without any problems. :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just picked up a rubi transfer case from a 2010 automatic to put in my 2012 sport with auto. Like you couldn't find a lot of info about it but when I posted a similar question a couple weeks ago I was told it would work but then I'm going auto to auto. I'm not going to have time to do the swap for a couple weeks but when I do I'll post up. The cases do look a little different but as long as to bolt pattern and output shaft in my tranny are the same then it should work.

The X, Sports and Sahara come with NV241's and the Rubicons come with NV241-OR's. They look different because they are different. The later comes with a 4:1 low range. This has nothing to do with automatics or manuals. :yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The X, Sports and Sahara come with NV241's and the Rubicons come with NV241-OR's. They look different because they are different. The later comes with a 4:1 low range. This has nothing to do with automatics or manuals. :yup:

well this is great news that it doesnt matter if its from an auto or manual! thanks Eddie!

kh202

JK-Forum Moderator

The 2012/2013 auto's won't accept a tcase from anything except another 2012/2013 auto tcase. They are different cases for the new auto tranny. If you have a manual, then any tcase from a JK will work, regardless of auto or manual (expect a 12/13' auto)

kh202

JK-Forum Moderator

Don't think that's gonna work out for you bud :grayno: 2012/13 auto tcases are different.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The 2012/2013 auto's won't accept a tcase from anything except another 2012/2013 auto tcase. They are different cases for the new auto tranny. If you have a manual, then any tcase from a JK will work, regardless of auto or manual (expect a 12/13' auto)

Now that you mention it, I do believe you just might be right on this.

jkrossi

So does any one know the low range of the tcase off of a 07 jku-x? Im not familiar with the vearimg of the transfer case at all. All I know is I have 4:10 gears in the difs.

mtnbiker995

So does any one know the low range of the tcase off of a 07 jku-x? Im not familiar with the vearimg of the transfer case at all. All I know is I have 4:10 gears in the difs.

I wanna say its like 2.72:1 or 2.76:1 something like that...crawl underneath and look at the tag, it'll have a gear ratio stamped on it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks eddie. And that helps all around going from 4 high and 4 low?
Sorry for all the questions about this. I just dont know much about the gearing of a t-case.

No. When you're in 4HI, it's all the same. The Rubicon NV241-OR simply gives you a lower crawl ratio when in 4LO. Think of it this way, a 4:1 gear reduction will take 4 turns of the transmission output shaft to make one turn of your transfer case output shafts. This will allow you to creep very slowly and make it easier to carefully crawl an obstacle instead of just spinning your wheels like you would with a standard NV241 with a 2.72:1 ratio. Does this make sense?

jkrossi

No. When you're in 4HI, it's all the same. The Rubicon NV241-OR simply gives you a lower crawl ratio when in 4LO. Think of it this way, a 4:1 gear reduction will take 4 turns of the transmission output shaft to make one turn of your transfer case output shafts. This will allow you to creep very slowly and make it easier to carefully crawl an obstacle instead of just spinning your wheels like you would with a standard NV241 with a 2.72:1 ratio. Does this make sense?

Ok yeah that makes sence. Thank you for helping understand this. Appreciate it!!!!!!:thumbup:

Top Bottom