TRANSFORMATION of the RUBICON : Before & After Photos 5 Years in the Making

FoxC

From the pics, it looks like that minimum requirment list can be reduced some now...:grayno:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, i have a 4 door jk sport with a 3.5 inch rock krawler lift and 35's would that be ok to run the trail? I only have a lsd in the rear and open dana 30 front.

Thanks, James

as has been pointed out, the main route on the trail is a lot easier now but even before, you could have taken a stock jeep through. sure, it would have taken a lot of work but, i have seen it done. having said that, you shouldn't have any problems getting through the rubicon with your current setup. the only thing that might make it hard for you is if the winter before was harsh, long and if you go too early in the season. in that case, you would encounter big snow drifts and deep water crossings.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
That is ALOT of changes for one trail. What did they do go in with random sticks of dynamite to different parts of the trail? Wow! I still want to go at least once in my life because it is the Rubicon but that is alot of changes at once. Although I should be happy that my open diff X on 33s will probably go through this trail, I didn't want that opportunity at the expense of tearing down the trail this much.

TeamFaust

Thanks for all of the before and after pics Edie, really helps to tell the story. They really put some time and I am guessing $$ into the trail work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is ALOT of changes for one trail. What did they do go in with random sticks of dynamite to different parts of the trail? Wow! I still want to go at least once in my life because it is the Rubicon but that is alot of changes at once. Although I should be happy that my open diff X on 33s will probably go through this trail, I didn't want that opportunity at the expense of tearing down the trail this much.

trust me, there was nothing random about it. they were very specific in what they targeted. it's still a great trail and with 33's, it'll still be tough. if you want tougher, there are lines that you still take... for now anyway. it's just the main route that's been changed.

Thanks for all of the before and after pics Edie, really helps to tell the story. They really put some time and I am guessing $$ into the trail work.

honestly, i can't even imagine how much money has gone into this. we've seen work crews on the rubicon all summer for the last 3 or 4 years slowly doing their thing and with heavy equipment and helicopters. still, i suppose it could be worse - they could have just closed the trail and i know that if the tree huggers had their way, that's what would have been done just like they did this year with the other 42 trails in the area. :naw:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
silverbackjk said:
Eddie, i have a 4 door jk sport with a 3.5 inch rock krawler lift and 35's would that be ok to run the trail? I only have a lsd in the rear and open dana 30 front.

Thanks, James

You should have ran it with us last weekend! We had 5 rigs with 2 with no lockers and worked our way through it no problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You should have ran it with us last weekend! We had 5 rigs with 2 with no lockers and worked our way through it no problem.

how was the weather when you were up there? should be getting kinda frosty about now i would imagine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking through some old pics, I came across these and thought it would be appropriate to add them to the mix. The first set of pics are of a really big and old Juniper tree that stood sentinel at the entrance of the Little Sluice for centuries. It was an impressive arbor and one that offered shade to spectators on a hot summers day. Some time during the winter of 2011/12, there was a storm that proved to be a bit too much for this old friend and it finally came crashing down. This is what it had looked like when it was still standing...

main.php

main.php

And, this is all that's left of it today...
main.php

main.php

main.php

I can honestly say that I never gave it much thought until it was gone but, there used to be another old Juniper tree that stood at the top of Cadillac Hill and we'd often spend some time cooling off under it's shade on one of our many banzai runs to the top. Sometime during the summer of 2012, someone decided that it needed to be chopped down. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever taking a straight shot of this tree but, it's the tall one providing shade on the right side edge of the photo...
main.php

This is all that remains today...
main.php

main.php

Moochie

I wonder why? I have also spent time beneath the shade of that tree. Tessa enjoyed the shade too. :grayno:

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Its sad to see something so beautiful not be there, lets hope that it was a sincere reason that it was cut down. :naw:

Last edited:

2000TJDude

Glad I got a chance to run it before all the changes were made. I went through in a TJ on 33's with selectable lockers front and rear with no problems and never even touched the winch. (we did bypass Little Sluice obviously)

Thanks for the great pics and comparisons WOL.

MikeD

So if making it easier will bring the masses and they will bring the garbage, wear and tear, crime, etc do you California guy's see the trail eventually being closed?

Growing up in the northeast, you dream of wheeling in the amazing places you read about in "mags" and now websites that exist in the western half of the country but I fear it will eventually be like in the east where it's pretty much all closed. We only wheel private land here in NY, there is no public land accessable to us that I know of. Admittedly well meaning but unfortunately poorly informed eco groups and liberals have pretty much complete control of this area and we are locked out of anything we don't privately own, even on private land you can face issues if it becomes public knowledge that you use it for wheelin. Keep fighting for your trails guys, the rest of us still dream of getting out there someday.

Hatewagon

Re: Transformation of the Rubicon : Before & After Photos 5 Years in the Making

Wow. Thanx for the write up. As sad as the changes are it is still on my bucket list to run.

Mad Dog

This makes me sick.

This makes me sick. It is not a Highway. Why pave it? I was going to hit this trail but now I will not waste my time. Why are we not doing anything to make the state leave our trails alone? They are ether closing trails or paying them.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This makes me sick. It is not a Highway. Why pave it? I was going to hit this trail but now I will not waste my time. Why are we not doing anything to make the state leave our trails alone? They are ether closing trails or paying them.

Well its not paved and its not easy. It's easier yes but its still not easy. To say your not going to do it now because its paved is a little bit of an exaggeration.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Rubicon Trail has been and always will be one of the most beautiful trails that we've ever run. It is the reason why we love it as much as we do. The fact that you get to wheel it has always just been icing on the cake. While I don't like or agree with what's being done, the people responsible for it do believe they are doing what is necessary to keep it open for everyone to enjoy. I should note that even though the main route has been made easier, the trail as a whole is still a challenge for most Jeeps and there are still a few tought optional obstacles that you can still take on... for now anyway. Of course, mother nature has a way of rearranging things too.

JAGS

Hooked
Transformation of the Rubicon : Before & After Photos 5 Years in the Making

The Rubicon Trail has been and always will be one of the most beautiful trails that we've ever run. It is the reason why we love it as much as we do. The fact that you get to wheel it has always just been icing on the cake. While I don't like or agree with what's being done, the people responsible for it do believe they are doing what is necessary to keep it open for everyone to enjoy. I should note that even though the main route has been made easier, the trail as a whole is still a challenge for most Jeeps and there are still a few tought optional obstacles that you can still take on... for now anyway. Of course, mother nature has a way of rearranging things too.

I have to agree with Eddie on this. Most of the trails I've run I do for purpose of exploring new areas. The Rubicon trail is on my bucket list. I hear it is a great experience regardless of difficulty.

I'll be planning my run just as soon as I upgrade from stock.

Top Bottom