Trek NX Wind Noise

pvanweelden

Will, here is what I got for you as per your request. Hope these photos give you a comparison. Also, I know this is kind of redneck as far as a temporary fix, but for long hwy drives you can take a piece of really strong, body color matching, duct tape (I used black gorilla tape) and run one continuous strip from the driver side A-pillar over the gap all the way to the passenger side A-pillar. I did this for the JKX due to a few thousand miles of hwy driving and it cut the nose down to nothing.

Where the heck do I find baby shit green duck tape? :D

actually you can get the gorilla tape in a clear :thumb:

liljohn850

Take a pic of the ends. Bestop sent me a whole top skin and header bc at each side there was a noticeable gap since the new in is on it's much much quieter. My original trektop nx was unbearably loud at any speed above 40.

Sent from my pocket sized telecommunications and computing device.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Will, here is what I got for you as per your request. Hope these photos give you a comparison. Also, I know this is kind of redneck as far as a temporary fix, but for long hwy drives you can take a piece of really strong, body color matching, duct tape (I used black gorilla tape) and run one continuous strip from the driver side A-pillar over the gap all the way to the passenger side A-pillar. I did this for the JKX due to a few thousand miles of hwy driving and it cut the nose down to nothing.

View attachment 66933

View attachment 66934

View attachment 66935

View attachment 66936

I don't see any tape but I think your top is closer to the front (less gap) then mine is...Ill have to get a picture of mine tomorrow...You can see all the little fish gill looking things...(tech. term).

MikeO

I've had the same problem with mine. Bestop has sent me three different tops and all three have done the same thing. The corners seem to sit up higher allowing wind in. I've tried everything but the tape. As soon as it warms up a bit I'm going to put the third top on and see if it is any better than the previous two. They told me is was an issue with the mold of the plastic header piece but they thought they fixed the problem. We'll see.

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!! 2012 JKU Sport

Well I found something that worked to bring the wind noise down to a manageable level. Used this bit the 1/2 in stuff would work as well. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392067220.755635.jpg

MikeO

What is it and how did you use it?

pvanweelden

You put it inside your tires so the tire noise drowns out the wind noise.... :D

you put it in at the a pillar and pinch it between the A pillar and the trek top header, to help bring down the wind noise

MikeO

So I guess what you're saying is that the top will close on top of the material. If that's the plan then I will have to give it a try.

pvanweelden

^ that would be my thoughts on using the backer rod filler, but it seems like it would be impossible to hold the whole piece in place and also closing the latches on the trektop header,
maybe you attach the latches, then shove the backer rod down in the gap, and then close the latches? :thinking:

^ that would be my thoughts on using the backer rod filler, but it seems like it would be impossible to hold the whole piece in place and also closing the latches on the trektop header,
maybe you attach the latches, then shove the backer rod down in the gap, and then close the latches? :thinking:

There is a channel on both the driver and passenger side that the blocker fits in tight enough to hold it until you can clamp the top.

Tried Turing the radio up but when I stop it blasts me out.

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

gsmoak

Take a pic of the ends. Bestop sent me a whole top skin and header bc at each side there was a noticeable gap since the new in is on it's much much quieter. My original trektop nx was unbearably loud at any speed above 40.

Sent from my pocket sized telecommunications and computing device.

I had a somewhat similar experience. The top fit fine but was noisy as hell. Lived with it for a couple of months, figuring that was just the nature of a soft top. During a road trip crack developed by the passenger side latch and the header broke. The warranty replacement seemed to fit the same but has been so much quieter!

Armydog

I like the noise, plus I run loud tires.... my next set of sneakers is going to be NITTO Trail Grapplers. I have a set on my DD (Dodge Ram) and they so loud cars next to me on the highway can hear them coming. I just turn the radio up!!!

Brankz

View attachment 66933

View attachment 66934

View attachment 66935

View attachment 66936

I use black silicone for my top and it's 90% noise free. I used w40 to prevent the Silicon to stick to the top

Beyrgut

After seeing the pics where others have relatively flush seams across the front i took another look at mine which the outer edges on both sides stick up. I notice they appeared to have come out of the molding at the corners across the front, kind of hard to explain without a picture. I'll try and get a few pics and tuck them back in some time this week.

After seeing the pics where others have relatively flush seams across the front i took another look at mine which the outer edges on both sides stick up. I notice they appeared to have come out of the molding at the corners across the front, kind of hard to explain without a picture. I'll try and get a few pics and tuck them back in some time this week.

That is what mine is doing and that lets in all the wind noise.

Top Bottom