U Joints

bear996

I've searched around and can't find much info, or my google fu is just off today. I'm in the process of slowly rebuilding/learning to wrench on my own rig instead of being at the mercy of shops all the time. I'm experiencing some popping from the front when turning and also had some ABS/Traction lights intermittently. I replaced speed sensors on the rear and will be doing a brake job/speed sensors on the front soon. My plan is to replace the hubs and u joints all in one swoop. I have a '14 JK Rubicon with a 2.5 inch lift with 35's. Still running the stock driveshafts as well (later upgrade probably when the stock ones blow up).
My question is, are all u joints the same on the JK? I'll likely keep a few of the old ones as back ups if so. Also there are a total of 6 correct? 1 per wheel, 2 per driveshaft?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, they are not. The JK Rubicon uses a Spicer 5-7166X and I believe the Dana 30 uses a 5-760X. Drive shaft u-joints depend on what you're running. If factory, there is only one u-joint up front and it's a 1330. The other joints are rzeppas so there's nothing there.

Ddays

Hooked
I've searched around and can't find much info, or my google fu is just off today. I'm in the process of slowly rebuilding/learning to wrench on my own rig instead of being at the mercy of shops all the time. I'm experiencing some popping from the front when turning and also had some ABS/Traction lights intermittently. I replaced speed sensors on the rear and will be doing a brake job/speed sensors on the front soon. My plan is to replace the hubs and u joints all in one swoop. I have a '14 JK Rubicon with a 2.5 inch lift with 35's. Still running the stock driveshafts as well (later upgrade probably when the stock ones blow up).
My question is, are all u joints the same on the JK? I'll likely keep a few of the old ones as back ups if so. Also there are a total of 6 correct? 1 per wheel, 2 per driveshaft?

if you're having traction/abs lights it could be your unit bearings. You'll get new wheel sensors already installed in them if you replace. go for a good brand like Timken.

JT@623

Hooked
You may save yourself some misery just save up and get new drive shafts the rzeppas will fail . axle joints are pretty straight forward just a little labor . A cheap harbor freight press is worth buying you will find it’s a handy tool to have or if you have a buddy that has one .

bear996

if you're having traction/abs lights it could be your unit bearings. You'll get new wheel sensors already installed in them if you replace. go for a good brand like Timken.
The speed sensors so far seem to have done the trick in the back as I haven't had an ABS/TCS light event since swapping those out and they were easy enough to do. Still planning on swapping the unit bearings and have been looking at different brands, Omix and Timken are on the short list. Are most of them still ILJEN made?

You may save yourself some misery just save up and get new drive shafts the rzeppas will fail . axle joints are pretty straight forward just a little labor . A cheap harbor freight press is worth buying you will find it’s a handy tool to have or if you have a buddy that has one .
I may go this route and do a full swap with new ones and keep the old ones as spares when on the trail.

I appreciate the help from everyone.

Top Bottom