Updated Texas Hidden Falls Adventure Park Newbie Run Oct 2nd-3rd

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
It looks like i will be attending. I'll try to reserve a camp site early next week.
You guys camping in "A" or primative?

USMC Wrangler

The plan from the original thread is Site B, close to restrooms and showers. I guess that's considered the primitive site???

drafh

I'm getting the equipment I need for this trip. Since this is a newbie run I have two questions. Do we air down for the easy trail (I already have tie deflators)? If so, do I need to get a portable air compressor? What is a good one? Thanks!

Kumar

I'm getting the equipment I need for this trip. Since this is a newbie run I have two questions. Do we air down for the easy trail (I already have tie deflators)? If so, do I need to get a portable air compressor? What is a good one? Thanks!

You will need to air down. A compressor is not needed for hidden Falls, they have 4 stations by the front to air back up

iRonin

I will also have on-board air; as mentioned the park has air stations but sometimes their compressor breaks down (not sure if it's an issue anymore).

Responded to a PM about group leading; main thing is having a good understanding of the park and comfortable leading a convoy without getting lost. Also since it's a run for new folks, patience, a positive attitude and clear communication skills will be paramount to ensuring folks have fun :) the thing about group size is that after the 7-10 people scale, there tends to be a lot of standing about waiting just by the sheer nature of having to spot folks at certain obstacles one at a time, which means less overall trails accomplished.

If we do get a second group going, then we might consider breaking the day up into two groups of trails that meet up wherever the lunch destination will be; then after lunch the groups swap.

daverawr

As of 2 weeks ago all but 1 air station was working good. Just make sure to bring tire pressure stick or what ever and air chuck or something to help with airdown process is recommended. not needed though. Just will take a bit longer with a stick on the pin lol

USMC Wrangler

Great info iRonin and Dave. With or without a second group, it will be great to get out there with everyone.

As far as I know, we still need a qualified volunteer to lead a second group. As of now this run is currently capped at 10 plus iRonin.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
The plan from the original thread is Site B, close to restrooms and showers. I guess that's considered the primitive site???

I'm pretty sure that's "improved"? I'll just ask for a spot neat the restrooms/showers lol

Edit: They have restrooms and showers near both campsites. A reservation is only needed for the "Improved Camp Ground" which includes running water and electrical.

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

Yeah, I'd be willing to do it if not for the fact I don't know the park. I'd hate to guide a group into something too hairy.

Angry Aussie

The park isn't to hard to navigate even if you haven't been there before. Someone should step up and do it, you want to make the run as inclusive as you can. Get as many wayalifers out there as you can you won't regret it. Even if you don't know the trails just let your group know and to be patient with you. Everyone will understand and will appreciate being a part of a group. I'd recommend getting a second leader even if they don't know the park that well. I'd offer to do it but I honestly don't have the patients to do it. So I wouldn't wanna ruin anyone's trip. Someone will step up and do it. I'll still be out there to come by and say hi and drink some beers and if anyone is willing to run some harder trails I'll be down.

Exodus 4x4

The park isn't to hard to navigate even if you haven't been there before. Someone should step up and do it, you want to make the run as inclusive as you can. Get as many wayalifers out there as you can you won't regret it. Even if you don't know the trails just let your group know and to be patient with you. Everyone will understand and will appreciate being a part of a group. I'd recommend getting a second leader even if they don't know the park that well. I'd offer to do it but I honestly don't have the patients to do it. So I wouldn't wanna ruin anyone's trip. Someone will step up and do it. I'll still be out there to come by and say hi and drink some beers and if anyone is willing to run some harder trails I'll be down.

I wish somebody would. I'd hate to miss out on this.

iRonin

Well I'm not qualified to "lead a trail" due not being familiar with the park....soooo lets see what unfolds

Yeah, I'd be willing to do it if not for the fact I don't know the park. I'd hate to guide a group into something too hairy.

The park isn't to hard to navigate even if you haven't been there before. Someone should step up and do it, you want to make the run as inclusive as you can.

*shrug* I didn't mean to come off as exclusive if I did. I've been to dozens of events from newbie runs to wheelin for the wounded with 300+ folks and I've seen first-hand the uncertainty that can arise if the person at the head of the convoy isn't confident. Having basic knowledge of the park layout helps a lot with that. I was just being even more conservative given that this is a first time deal for a lot of folks, wherein normally if you are wheeling with experienced folks there's less pressure on the lead.

Having said all that, I'm just offering my recommendation; I'm as easy going as they come and if someone wants to step up to lead a group so more folks can roll then by all means go for it.

USMC Wrangler

I didn't take it that way, at all. I used the word "qualified" to sum up an earlier post. I apologize if that struck anyone wrong. I wasn't trying to exclude or discourage anyone and it was probably a poor choice of words.

Here's my experience...
I've driven thousands of miles off pavement at work in 19 years. Some of it has been semi-hairy to me in the vehicle I had assigned to me, some of it is simply dirt roads. I've been to The Mounds Off Road Park in Michigan when I first bought my Jeep. Those trails look like nothing compared to HF, but have never been there. The "wheeling" I have nearby is primarily the same as what I've driven at work, not too technical. I have never been an obstacle guide at all.

This will be my family's first wheeling/camping combo trip. I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone. I also need to ensure this trip leaves a great impression on my entire family. If I were going solo or with just my wife or just a kid or two, I would dive in and learn as I go, (just as I've learned by taking this thread over). If that seems selfish, it's not my intention.

We are almost a month out. Anyone that's been, whether on the "going list" or not on any list so far, is willing to lead a second group please speak up.

As Aussie said, the more Wayalifer's that can go and run together the better.

radleyhardy

I'll take a lead position (or Co-Lead with USMC), and we will be called the "There's Newbies and Then There's Us"

Last edited:

Angry Aussie

First off, you guys are doing an awesome job on keeping up with this trip and keeping the list up to date! That's great. No one came off as exclusive but it seemed like the waiting list was getting long enough to be able to have a second group and when your getting wayalifers together it's always been better to have as many of them out there as you can. Hanging out with wayalifers is always a great time! You won't regret having two groups going even if the second group only has five rigs in it.

Top Bottom