Upgrade battle: JE Reel vs. Tom Woods (or others?)

Finn Sizzle

Since I am upgrading my tires to 37" as well as some other upgrades, I want to upgrade my driveshafts too. The Jeep will be mostly used for general off-roading, rock climbing (rubicon, Moab, etc) and will be driven to these locations (not trailered). Looking at the. JE Reel, Tom Woods and some others. I'd like to hear from people who actually run upgraded drive shafts. Which did you go with and why?

Thanks for the insight!

1995 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 MT
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary
TK5337

Napalm90

With 37's I recommend 1350. I have JE Reel 1350 f/r and they work... Any company is fine really they are all pretty much made the same way.

suicideking

I will also be doing 37 ' s soon so did a 1350 JE Reel in the rear recently. 1310 up front because I bought it when running 33's. Any reputable brand should be fine.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If you get TW shafts, make sure to get them with Neapco or Spicer u-joints. The TW signature gold seal u-joints are made in China and have been known to fail.

FrankenJeeper

I just happened to have helped a Buddy install some Tom Woods shafts on his JKU today. They seemed to be fairly well made, but I have heard many times of the "Gold Seal" joints failing.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
JE Reel. Made in the USA. And they come with MADE IN THE USA Neapco U-Joints..... See a trend there?

'Mercia.

CerOf

I've got Adams up front. Very fast turnaround time and good service. They'll spend time with you on the phone and go over what your needs actually are. You can get a free tshirt too!

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

StrizzyChris

Like cerof, I went with the Adam's driveshaft. Like the others mentioned, no matter who you go with, pay for the ujoint upgrade. I got spicers and it was the best price I could find on a front shaft

jeeeep

Hooked
take a look at coast driveline, they make a 1350 driveshaft that bolts up to the stock flanges, easy install no need to remove the flanges.

JT Bone

I bought Tom Woods 1350 front and rear shafts. Gold seal joints came with. After 2000 highway miles and a few trail runs the front uJoint was junk. Either order with USA joints or get JE Reel. I thought for $1280 delivered both shafts should have better joints than what Tom Woods supplies.

StrizzyChris

I bought Tom Woods 1350 front and rear shafts. Gold seal joints came with. After 2000 highway miles and a few trail runs the front uJoint was junk. Either order with USA joints or get JE Reel. I thought for $1280 delivered both shafts should have better joints than what Tom Woods supplies.

^^^Reel fanboy right there!!! :bleh:

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I appreciate your honesty. Too many people refuse to give honest opinions about things they spend a lot of money on. Those gold seal joints are crap, plain and simple. It's too bad Woods charges extra to get USA made Neapcos and continues to push that Chinese crap.

Last edited:

Serg5000

I'm not so sure spicer ujoints are all that great. Last set I bought here local for my Dana44 front axles, box said made in China.
ara7yqan.jpg

Last edited:

Serg5000

December 5 2011 Neapco open offices in china. It's just a matter of time till they start making the parts there. It's simple economics. Bottom line is we just need to carry spare parts. Because even made in USA parts break.

DA RUNT

If you get TW shafts, make sure to get them with Neapco or Spicer u-joints. The TW signature gold seal u-joints are made in China and have been known to fail.

You mean this :cheesy:

Do the TW shafts have gold seal u-joints?
They have yellow seal 1350 joints all the way through front and rear

StrizzyChris

Not a Reel fan boy. Never heard of "Adams" driveshaft. Watch the name calling jerk off. I'm still running Woods shafts even after I had to have them rebalanced. My post was for OP and those about to buy.

so four things...
1- Cool your jets "brah"
2- If your new to the internet, or electronic communication then ill let you in on a little secret... :bleh: is reserved for expressing that you are kidding with someone so re-read my post
3- I was actually happy with your post because people come here and rip peoples asses for saying that TW joints suck and become defensive(its an inside joke here along with defending certain Teraflex products) when they recommend Reel or Coast over TW for the reason that they come standard with USA Joints
4- for someone who wants to watch the "name calling" you sure busted out the jerk off comment pretty quick :asshat:

sean.m.adams33

OP, I upgraded my 1310 coast shaft to a 1350 JE Reel when I went to 37's. Both were great. I would say go with reel. I beat the crap out of that thing and it still looked brand new and had no damage. Made in USA? Come on, no contest.

Top Bottom