Upgrading Diff Covers

BaddestCross

So I finally had a chance to replace the rear diff cover and change the fluid. The weather and a head cold have slowed me down this week... Anyhow, when I was filling up the diff, I was only able to get just under 2 quarts of fluid in before it began running out the fill hole. Eddie's write-up states the D44 needs 2.375 (or something like that) quarts. I googled a bit and saw other folks and some dealers say ±2 quarts is normal. When I took it for a test drive, I didn't hear any whining or anything, so I'm assuming I'm okay, just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
So I finally had a chance to replace the rear diff cover and change the fluid. The weather and a head cold have slowed me down this week... Anyhow, when I was filling up the diff, I was only able to get just under 2 quarts of fluid in before it began running out the fill hole. Eddie's write-up states the D44 needs 2.375 (or something like that) quarts. I googled a bit and saw other folks and some dealers say ±2 quarts is normal. When I took it for a test drive, I didn't hear any whining or anything, so I'm assuming I'm okay, just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

It really should be a little over 2 quarts. Was the vehicle on level ground? I don't think .25 quarts less will hurt anything but surprised it didn't take more.

BaddestCross

I used Poison Spyder covers. Yes, on level ground. Because of "reasons" I actually drained and filled twice. The first time I was on a sleight incline so I figured that may have caused it to drain too soon so the second time I rolled it to the street and same thing.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
It really should be a little over 2 quarts. Was the vehicle on level ground? I don't think .25 quarts less will hurt anything but surprised it didn't take more.

When I changed mine it wouldn't take the 2 quarts. Yes level ground so I asked on the forum and was told as long as liquid comes out the fill hole your ok. My covers were stock.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Okay, just to wrap this thread up, I finally got the oil changed and covers installed front and rear. Pro tip: make sure the socket is seated straight on the bolt. I found out the hard way that grade 8 bolts will shear if you're torquing them at an angle. 😠 Luckily, it sheared off at a point where there was enough thread to grab with pliers and back out the stud left in the diff.

Also, after spending almost 2 hours under the Jeep scraping off 3 layers of RTV I decided to go ahead and use the Lubelocker gaskets the gap it creates is minimal and the cover as well as the diff housing is so beefy, I believe I'd have to get hung up on something as thin as a razor blade and as strong as titanium to really cause any problems.

Thanks to all who gave me advice and recommendations in this thread!

Front:
20170131_090524.jpg

Rear:
20170131_090548.jpg

10abadilla/jk

Okay, just to wrap this thread up, I finally got the oil changed and covers installed front and rear. Pro tip: make sure the socket is seated straight on the bolt. I found out the hard way that grade 8 bolts will shear if you're torquing them at an angle. 😠 Luckily, it sheared off at a point where there was enough thread to grab with pliers and back out the stud left in the diff.

Also, after spending almost 2 hours under the Jeep scraping off 3 layers of RTV I decided to go ahead and use the Lubelocker gaskets the gap it creates is minimal and the cover as well as the diff housing is so beefy, I believe I'd have to get hung up on something as thin as a razor blade and as strong as titanium to really cause any problems.

Thanks to all who gave me advice and recommendations in this thread!

Front:
View attachment 241730

Rear:
View attachment 241731

Looks great. Glad you were able to get it done.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom