Upgrading Diff Covers

BaddestCross

They are a reuseable gasket for the covers. I have been using them for over 5 years on one jeep and have them on my new jeep. Never had a problem with them.
But i remove my covers every time i change the fluids to inspect. I dont want to have to scrape old rtv off and reseal everytime. The lube locker cuts down all the time it would take to do that.
Gotcha. Yeah, I think those are included as part of the package I was looking at.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

xman4602

I've got the ARB covers and have had no issues

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

xman4602

Yeah I have psc bumpers. Should have gone that route but the ARB's were on a good sale at the time.

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

10abadilla/jk

And why is that? Just wondering ......
One they are a lot more then rtv. And from what I have read and searched lube lockers are one time use gasket. You may have reused it but they are designed again from reading around for one time use. The rtv is a bit more flexible covering more surface area then 3 small rings. Yes lube lockers have silicone rings all around. I personally wouldn't use them. Maybe for a trail fix because it's a lot easier. But not as a permanent gasket. We all like to use certain things on our jeeps others don't. I'm not judging not saying don't use It. I'm just saying I wouldn't.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rottenbelly

One they are a lot more then rtv. And from what I have read and searched lube lockers are one time use gasket. You may have reused it but they are designed again from reading around for one time use. The rtv is a bit more flexible covering more surface area then 3 small rings. Yes lube lockers have silicone rings all around. I personally wouldn't use them. Maybe for a trail fix because it's a lot easier. But not as a permanent gasket. We all like to use certain things on our jeeps others don't. I'm not judging not saying don't use It. I'm just saying I wouldn't.

Yeah, no problem, I was Just was curious on your outlook on them.
I have taken off my diff covers at least 6 times with them so far. They are not leaking yet. So they are plenty reuseable. At 22 bucks they aren't bad.
Only problems I have come across on them was their recommend torque on the bolts. Folks where breaking them cause it said tighten to 35 ft lbs.
Just my 2 cents on them. I like them.

Rottenbelly

So what should they be torqued to?

Factory spec is 30 ft lbs.
But to clarify that the problem was mainly folks that had solid diff covers.
The bolts that came with them were breaking easy.

Now I could see too much torque maybe causing the lube lockers to not be reuseable if the where cranked down so much it damaged them.

Some diff covers overlap and have a lip that can catch and cause the lube locker to leak.
The PSC covers are a hair smaller on mine and have no lip to catch on. So I run the lube lockers. Works for me.

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

I have the Solids and I'm stock. Track bars bang on the covers under hard braking or on an incline all the time. I put em on right after I bought the Jeep and chased it down like I had a bolt loose somewhere. Totally regretting that purchase. But definitely use Right Stuff. It's good.

Sent from my duck blind.

I installed poison spyder bombshell covers on front and rear JKU sport. Using lubelocker as well. No leaks. Nothing hitting. 2.5" lift.

I was considering ARB, but I liked that the fill holes on the bombshell matched factory specs. That and the cost. Tight budget.

10abadilla/jk

Yeah, no problem, I was Just was curious on your outlook on them.
I have taken off my diff covers at least 6 times with them so far. They are not leaking yet. So they are plenty reuseable. At 22 bucks they aren't bad.
Only problems I have come across on them was their recommend torque on the bolts. Folks where breaking them cause it said tighten to 35 ft lbs.
Just my 2 cents on them. I like them.
Yea for sure. Thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys. I'm getting ready to change the oil in my differentials and figure this is a good time to upgrade the covers. I'm probably going with the Poison Spyder covers. My concern is that I could've sworn that I read somewhere that there is a possibility of something hitting aftermarket covers while flexing. Am I remembering correctly, or is this only with a certain lift or what?

It was great seeing you out on the trail over the weekend!

Looks like this thread has been covered pretty well (no pun intended) but the only thing I would say is to skip the Lube Locker. Sure, they work fine and they're trendy enough that guys who bought one will be sure to tell you that you need one too but really, they're far from needed. But then, that's just me and I'm nowhere near as experienced as some of these guys.

BaddestCross

It was great seeing you out on the trail over the weekend!

Looks like this thread has been covered pretty well (no pun intended) but the only thing I would say is to skip the Lube Locker. Sure, they work fine and they're trendy enough that guys who bought one will be sure to tell you that you need one too but really, they're far from needed. But then, that's just me and I'm nowhere near as experienced as some of these guys.

Lol. It was great to meet you in person even though we didn't really talk much. My wife and I had a blast! I hope we can get together again soon and maybe we'll be able to join the pre/after party next time. 😎

The lubelockers are part of the package I'm picking up and I like the idea of not having to scrape RTV at every service. Is there anything wrong with using them in your oh-so-little experience? 😉

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol. It was great to meet you in person even though we didn't really talk much. My wife and I had a blast! I hope we can get together again soon and maybe we'll be able to join the pre/after party next time. 😎

We'll be doing more runs for sure and hope to see you again soon.

The lubelockers are part of the package I'm picking up and I like the idea of not having to scrape RTV at every service. Is there anything wrong with using them in your oh-so-little experience? 😉

LOL! I guess I'm old school in that I just don't see what the big deal is about scraping RTV. LubeLockers work fine. If there is one thing I don't like about them is that however small it might be, it will create a gap between the housing and the cover. This can be enough to have rocks catch on it and cause the bolts to loosen up just enough to cause a leak. No big deal in that you can just tighten up the bolts again but, there is that.

BaddestCross

LOL! If there is one thing I don't like about them is that however small it might be, it will create a gap between the housing and the cover. This can be enough to have rocks catch on it and cause the bolts to loosen up just enough to cause a leak. No big deal in that you can just tighten up the bolts again but, there is that.

That right there is the kind of info I'm looking for. The last thing I need is one more thing rocks can catch on!

Rottenbelly

That right there is the kind of info I'm looking for. The last thing I need is one more thing rocks can catch on!

The PSC cover are just the opposite. They are a bit smaller and don't cause that lip that can catch. You may catch the actually housing lip though. And if you ever change covers it could need some filing down for them to fit flat again.

BaddestCross

The PSC cover are just the opposite. They are a bit smaller and don't cause that lip that can catch.

Per your photo, I see that they're smaller than the housing, so that's great! I'm guessing that Eddie was referring to a gap between the cover and the housing due to the added thickness of the gasket?

Rottenbelly

Per your photo, I see that they're smaller than the housing, so that's great! I'm guessing that Eddie was referring to a gap between the cover and the housing due to the added thickness of the gasket?

Roger that. I agree with Eddie on they aren't really needed. More a convenience I would say.

I will say i liked working on jeeps that have them when they came into the shop. Saves me some time from scraping rtv.

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Roger that. I agree with Eddie on they aren't really needed. More a convenience I would say.

I will say i liked working on jeeps that have them when they came into the shop. Saves me some time from scraping rtv.

That's what I'm thinking too. Now that I've got all the info from everyone I can make an informed choice between my laziness and the possible catch point on the diff. 😎

I'll make the decision once I've got it in my hands and then weigh the pros and cons. Thanks again, everyone, for your input!

Top Bottom