Upgrading from 33s to 35s

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Agreed. Looking at the number of posts some of them have acquired 11,787 since Oct 2012 (Overlander JK) that's 22 each day, 7 days a week. I somehow think they are spending way too much time on the forums and not enough time enjoying their Jeeps.

I'll guarantee I've wheeled my jeep more this year then you have in your life but thanks for caring about me.

JAGS

Hooked
Agreed. Looking at the number of posts some of them have acquired 11,787 since Oct 2012 (Overlander JK) that's 22 each day, 7 days a week. I somehow think they are spending way too much time on the forums and not enough time enjoying their Jeeps.

Clearly, you don't know Overlander JK. He wheels his jeep quite a bit. :yup:

Also, I think (assume :thinking:) the point was that we/he'd prefer you share your knowledge here to answer the question, rather than just publicly re-direct. And, there is this thing called a PM, where you could have more discretely shared the site you noted here. You start bringing up shit like post count and personal attacks against a Mod of this site isn't going to go very well. Just saying. ;)

Fruju

wow guys take a valium and put your claws away ..he apologized, let it go - he was just trying to help out a fellow Jeeper

btw from the rules:
While we would prefer that you did not post links or direct members to other Jeep related forums, facebook pages, Google+, chat rooms or other social media outlets, it is something we do allow SO LONG AS you are NOT the owner of the site in question and/or, they do not allow or encourage hate toward the owners of WAYALIFE.com or it's moderators. Soliciting traffic to anyone of these sites is not allowed. Please be advised that your post may be edited or removed if it contains such content.

Thanks jeeeep. This was my intention. :yup:

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
2.8 JK's (&U)

FYI: 2.8's are sold all over the world except USA (and Switzerland if i am correct). In France the 3.6 is an option.......:thinking:......in the UK Rubicon is a special order.........:icon_crazy:

Average Australian conditions er dustier and tougher on the drivetrains, axles etc than are average UK conditions

noroad

so let me get this stright, you ask for help and then bash on the guy that is trying to help you :thinking::thinking:!!! I am pretty sure that there is nothing in England that would be seen as a harder trail then anything we have out here! so put your 35s on for the mall crawling and dont ask for help if you are going to bash the people willing to help you!

cyberil

so let me get this stright, you ask for help and then bash on the guy that is trying to help you :thinking::thinking:!!! I am pretty sure that there is nothing in England that would be seen as a harder trail then anything we have out here! so put your 35s on for the mall crawling and dont ask for help if you are going to bash the people willing to help you!

noroad, I suggest you read the posts again, more carefully this time. I was NOT bashing Fruju, it was him who was trying to help me. OverlanderJK was bashing Fruju for giving me advice.

noroad

noroad, I suggest you read the posts again, more carefully this time. I was NOT bashing Fruju, it was him who was trying to help me. OverlanderJK was bashing Fruju for giving me advice.

No i read it right!!! Pretty sure the quote i coppied was you bashing overlanderJK for posting to much and not wheeling! As for overlanderJK bashing Fruju that was warrented as one of HIS 11 post was to send you to another forum and not even attempt to answer the question, low!

cyberil

No i read it right!!! Pretty sure the quote i coppied was you bashing overlanderJK for posting to much and not wheeling! As for overlanderJK bashing Fruju that was warrented as one of HIS 11 post was to send you to another forum and not even attempt to answer the question, low!

OK then as you still don't get it, you wrote "so let me get this stright, you ask for help and then bash on the guy that is trying to help you"

How did Overlander try and help me?

noroad

OK then as you still don't get it, you wrote "so let me get this stright, you ask for help and then bash on the guy that is trying to help you"

How did Overlander try and help me?

Right here! As i have seen him answer many question (the reason he has so many posts) for people! He was clearly trying once again to get back to the problem that some think we cant answer!

Just because we don't have that motor doesn't mean we don't either know about it or want to learn.

cyberil

:pop2: :pop2:

Agreed. I wish some people would just chill out. We all have a common interest and are likeminded people. I don't really care about the odd persons negative opinion, and I don't think it matters if we go to multiple Jeep forums. The forums are less of a business and more of a place to share our interests in Jeeps and ask questions, it's not like we're robbing the owner. Are you seriously telling me that there's not one person on Wayalife who doesn't belong to JK-Forum (Whooops! I'm in trouble now)

BTW Wayalife is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Jeep forums, and I'd like to keep it that way. So lets agree to differ on our opinions and move on and close this thread.

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:

noroad

Agreed. I wish some people would just chill out. We all have a common interest and are likeminded people. I don't really care about the odd persons negative opinion, and I don't think it matters if we go to multiple Jeep forums. The forums are less of a business and more of a place to share our interests in Jeeps and ask questions, it's not like we're robbing the owner. Are you seriously telling me that there's not one person on Wayalife who doesn't belong to JK-Forum (Whooops! I'm in trouble now)

BTW Wayalife is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Jeep forums, and I'd like to keep it that way. So lets agree to differ on our opinions and move on and close this thread.

Thanks

Paul

So you want us to agree to not give you negitive opinions, but its ok for you to have them at members that have been here way longer then you! Also no one ever said you couldnt go there, go to another forum but people dont want to hear about here!

No, there isn't a single person here that doesn't belong to JKF, there's Several!!! There's a reason why they don't belong to JKF, they believe the help and advice is better here. We often have to chase their trolls out, (they like it here too). And so YOUR reason for being here is what again?

cyberil

No, there isn't a single person here that doesn't belong to JKF, there's Several!!! There's a reason why they don't belong to JKF, they believe the help and advice is better here. We often have to chase their trolls out, (they like it here too). And so YOUR reason for being here is what again?

My reason for being on Wayalife is the same as yours. I'm in agreement about JKF, it's difficult to get answers mainly because there are so many posts that they don't last long in the 'new posts' section where I think a lot of people look. And their search feature is pretty bad. Guys I didn't come here for an argument, I came to ask for advice on changing from 33s to 35s, I also backed up a fellow Jeeper who recommended an Oz Forum as they have more experience with diesel engines.

Each time I ask to move on, someone new gets riled and feels the need to post more hatred. Who's the troll now?

When you come here asking for advice then ultimately start bashing a moderator about his post count and how you THINK he spends his time others who consider him a friend rather than "just another Jeeper" tend to get a bit aggressive and question YOUR true motives. OverlanderJK has and will continue to wheel circles around most of us here, his knowledge and advice wasn't gained from reading the forums but from real world experience.

Fruju

Well haven't I stirred up a hornet's nest. My low post count does not mean that I don't have anything to offer just as some with high counts who think they know it all. (And no I am not referencing to anyone in particular as you all know there are posters like that).

The site that I mentioned is popular here in Australia among Jeepers. I did not say that we were better, I just said it was another place where Paul may get some answers pertinent to his particular engine type.

I log onto this site because I want to see what other JKers and Jeepers are doing. If I have something to offer I will, if I don't then I won't.
Doing a quick search of this site earlier I find that the site that I mentioned has already be referred to and by posters with fewer posts than I yet they were not flamed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My vehicle in stock form is a 2 door 2011/12 Sahara with a 2 1/2 inch Terraflex spring lift with shock extensions. Tyres are Mickey Thompson 285/70/R17 Baja MTZ. They're about an inch past the fender so I'd be looking to correct this. Also I don't want to have to chop or replace the fenders.

Because you do not want to chop your fenders, I would recommend that you install a 1" body lift. This will get you the needed clearance you'll need for 35's and do it on a budget.

Tyres
The Mickey Thompson tyres I currently have are expensive at £230 each ($390). So, I would be interested in a cheaper aggressive mud tyre as I have to multiple this by 5 and I think I could possibly save several hundred £££'s here. They need to be good for the road though. What do you recommend? No all terrains please.

I might look at a set of BFGoodrich MT KM2's. They should be readily available in your neck of the woods, will wear like iron and will get the job done for your needs. Even if they cost a bit more than other tires, they'll save you money in the long run.
Axles
As this is the Sahara model will I need some axle strengthening? What are my options here and if you don't mind can you point me in the right direction of manufacturers parts.The only off roading I do is with the UK Jeep Owners Club three or four times a year and is mainly mud based, apart from that I stay on the tarmac.

As mentioned, you'll benefit from installing a set of c-gussets as the larger tires will cause them to bend otherwise EVEN IF you never off road your Jeep.

Gears
Mine's an auto on standard gears, will this be OK or do I have to consider re-gearing.

You will always benefit from regearing to match the tire size you are running if for no other reason than the fact that it'll bring your performance back to stock or better. This is REGARDLESS of what motor you have. Depending on what you have now and if you don't do too much driving on hills, you can get by.

I have a Terraflex tire carrier and hinge on its way from Quadratec.

Being that you're on a budget, I would cancel this order if it isn't too late.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break

Hi Paul, log onto AusJeepOffroad. We have the same engine in our market as you. Lots of guys down under who can help. :thumb:

As others have mentioned, I personally would appreciate it if you could just answer the question as I just have rather than suggest a member here go elsewhere to find it. I may not have the same motor as you but, it still didn't prevent me from providing ACCURATE information regarding the question being asked. I'm not here to argue with you, just asking you to show me some courtesy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My reason for being on Wayalife is the same as yours. I'm in agreement about JKF, it's difficult to get answers mainly because there are so many posts that they don't last long in the 'new posts' section where I think a lot of people look. And their search feature is pretty bad. Guys I didn't come here for an argument, I came to ask for advice on changing from 33s to 35s, I also backed up a fellow Jeeper who recommended an Oz Forum as they have more experience with diesel engines.

I'm glad you like my old forum. If you actually did a search there, I think you'll find that I still have the highest post count - something like 37,000 and a vast majority of them are in the Tech section helping others. Having said that, I honestly don't know what having the same diesel engine has anything to do with the specific questions you asked but, by all means, if you think they'll be able to answer your questions better on the OZ forum, by all means, stop asking your questions here.

The site that I mentioned is popular here in Australia among Jeepers. I did not say that we were better, I just said it was another place where Paul may get some answers pertinent to his particular engine type.

Since you seemed to have missed it, nobody cares if your other forum is better or not. The point everyone was trying to make is that you DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO ANSWER THE QUESTION except to tell the OP to go to the other forum. While you guys might have great information, you don't need to have a 2.8L diesel to answer the specific questions being asked and really, you could have just as easily pimped your forum by PM.

Again, being that this is MY forum, all I am asking of you is to show a little courtesy to me.

Top Bottom