V8 Swap

Birdman1979

Depending on where you live, the standalone system is no bueno if you want to be street legal.

Honestly, you might consider figuring out what (if anything because I don’t know if the axles can be made to work) from your current 1 ton system could be swapped to one of the new 392 JL’s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Thank you but I'd prefer to work with my existing setup

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I agree with Sharkey, it sounds like if anything you’re looking for a smog compliant kit to integrate. A 5.3 LS or LT could be setup get you a nice bump in power, while not getting crazy and creating big heat problems.

Honestly, you might consider figuring out what (if anything because I don’t know if the axles can be made to work) from your current 1 ton system could be swapped to one of the new 392 JL’s.

From what I’ve heard, almost nothing is going to be economically transferable.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I agree with Sharkey, it sounds like if anything you’re looking for a smog compliant kit to integrate. A 5.3 LS or LT could be setup get you a nice bump in power, while not getting crazy and creating big heat problems.

That’s too bad. As was made clear in the other thread (the one where I clearly stood corrected and had to eat some crow), NONE of these swaps appear to be as plug and play as most would hope. It really seems that the best way to go (for people not already all in) is to start fresh with the new 392 from the factory. It obviously should take all of the computer hiccups out of the mix.

Birdman1979

Appreciate the feedback. 5.3 LT with 8 speed is a nice setup. I’m way too invested in my JK to go 392 JL and I’m partial to the 2 door.

JT@623

Hooked
I’ve been driving mine for about three months 2200 miles of on and off road since the LT swap so far no issues everything works as it should cruise control, tap shift, a/c , all factory gauges etc. no heating issues at all with external coolers and Camero fan. The LT 10 speed I believe is only 60lbs heavier than the 3.8 was and it’s a night and day difference in drivability.

Birdman1979

I saw Moby had some issues after his LT1 was installed. Looked like it was a wiring harness that got abraded. I really like the LT1, I'm just a long way from Vegas if anything goes wrong. Robbie appeared to be super responsive (overnighting parts to troubleshoot), but I'd like to hear he's like that with all his customers.

Birdman1979

From what I've researched between 2007 and 2017, the LS3 was used in high-performance vehicles, such as the Camaro and Corvette, among others. 2015-2017 the Chevrolet SS. My county is not subject to emissions testing, but long term, who knows. If the LS3 was put in a passenger vehicle in 2017 am I good?

This really has me thinking LS, so I spoke with John down in Louisiana. Wow, that guy is customer service focused. Called me at on the weekend to answer questions.

I'd be spending close to LT1 all said and done, but I love how versatile that motor is and I'm worried about gremlins with the LT1 swap. Nice to have a group like this to bounce ideas off of.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Birdman1979

Not really meaning to throw a wet blanket on your build, but for $20k more, (and probably less) I'd seriously consider buying this rig https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/60974-For-Sale-2012-Jeep-Wrangler-Rubicon#top and learning how to wheel it then drop the V8 into it when the time comes. Look at that parts list. It's a steal. :twocents:

That's a badass rig with high quality parts. I wouldn't blame anyone for buying a jeep like Overlander built. Definitely the most efficient and cost effective way to get a ridiculously capable machine.

For me personally, an important part of the journey is building it from stock, so I will continue the build.

GLWS Overlander. Someone is getting a steel.

Ddays

Hooked
That's a badass rig with high quality parts. I wouldn't blame anyone for buying a jeep like Overlander built. Definitely the most efficient and cost effective way to get a ridiculously capable machine.

For me personally, an important part of the journey is building it from stock, so I will continue the build.

Yep, fair enough. A lot to be said for building as you go for sure. Hope you keep your build thread updated.

I’m running a 6.0 and 6l80 in my 09 and it has been great. I’ve only had normal maintenance things with it. Everything works great with full oem functionality. No dash lights, cruise, a/c works. Motech has been great to work with and has sent me any updates I needed.

jesse3638

Hooked

Bought not built...haha.

He just did the motor swap... :crazyeyes:

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Birdman1979

I’m running a 6.0 and 6l80 in my 09 and it has been great. I’ve only had normal maintenance things with it. Everything works great with full oem functionality. No dash lights, cruise, a/c works. Motech has been great to work with and has sent me any updates I needed.

Awesome. Thank you for the feedback.

Exodus 4x4

I’ve swapped a few JK’s with LS engines, and some with Hemis. To me the difference is night and day. The Hemi works well with the NAG1 and running a single ECM eliminates a lot of the headaches you’ll incur with the LS. However, it is heavy and the fan either runs wide open or nothing. Not a deal breaker to me though.

Out of the LS builds we did, the RPM Extreme harness was hands down the most reliable. Motech on the other hand is more willing to help when there are issues. The LS platform has huge depth of aftermarket and is a lot of fun to play with building power.

You can probably achieve the LS swap for less than a Hemi, but if the difference is only a couple grand, I’d advise going Hemi. Either way you go and no matter what kit you choose, your Jeep will never be the same. It’s very important that you understand that they’re might quirks that are for the most part irreversible. On the other hand the JL/JT Hemi conversions we’ve done have been flawless, so if you’re considering a 392 JL, you’ll be very pleased.

J&k_Overland

I’ve swapped a few JK’s with LS engines, and some with Hemis. To me the difference is night and day. The Hemi works well with the NAG1 and running a single ECM eliminates a lot of the headaches you’ll incur with the LS. However, it is heavy and the fan either runs wide open or nothing. Not a deal breaker to me though.

Out of the LS builds we did, the RPM Extreme harness was hands down the most reliable. Motech on the other hand is more willing to help when there are issues. The LS platform has huge depth of aftermarket and is a lot of fun to play with building power.

You can probably achieve the LS swap for less than a Hemi, but if the difference is only a couple grand, I’d advise going Hemi. Either way you go and no matter what kit you choose, your Jeep will never be the same. It’s very important that you understand that they’re might quirks that are for the most part irreversible. On the other hand the JL/JT Hemi conversions we’ve done have been flawless, so if you’re considering a 392 JL, you’ll be very pleased.

A “few”. [emoji23]

Top Bottom