V8 Swap

Birdman1979

I’ve swapped a few JK’s with LS engines, and some with Hemis. To me the difference is night and day. The Hemi works well with the NAG1 and running a single ECM eliminates a lot of the headaches you’ll incur with the LS. However, it is heavy and the fan either runs wide open or nothing. Not a deal breaker to me though.

Out of the LS builds we did, the RPM Extreme harness was hands down the most reliable. Motech on the other hand is more willing to help when there are issues. The LS platform has huge depth of aftermarket and is a lot of fun to play with building power.

You can probably achieve the LS swap for less than a Hemi, but if the difference is only a couple grand, I’d advise going Hemi. Either way you go and no matter what kit you choose, your Jeep will never be the same. It’s very important that you understand that they’re might quirks that are for the most part irreversible. On the other hand the JL/JT Hemi conversions we’ve done have been flawless, so if you’re considering a 392 JL, you’ll be very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for weighing in Bubba. I watched your video on the two swaps. I'm leaning towards hemi now. Even if I have to keep the NAG1.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Is the 8-speed ZF tranny being used by anyone swapping Hemi's in the JK's?

Yes there are people swapping hemis with 8 speeds.

I forget the company name, but there’s also a “kit” out there to swap an 8 speed into a JK behind the 3.6 which sounds like a decent idea, but I think the price was just a bit too much to justify at like $4k+.

wjtstudios

Hooked

I forget the company name, but there’s also a “kit” out there to swap an 8 speed into a JK behind the 3.6 which sounds like a decent idea, but I think the price was just a bit too much to justify at like $4k+.

Is the 8-speed ZF tranny being used by anyone swapping Hemi's in the JK's?

That’s interesting, it would make a difference going to an 8 spd behind the 3.6 For a whole lot less than the V8 swap.

Ive talked to AMW a couple times and at that point they had not figured out the 8spd. I hope they do.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MericaMade

For 4k, I would do that without any hesitating. Need more info on this please.

run2jeepn

Caught the Bug
You can also use a 5-45RFE automatic transmission. Kevin Wyes at 4WS.COM has done many HEMI swaps. He was one of the first to do them. From my understanding Jeep contacted him when he did it asking how he got the transmission to work in the Jeep.

A.J.

You can also use a 5-45RFE automatic transmission. Kevin Wyes at 4WS.COM has done many HEMI swaps. He was one of the first to do them. From my understanding Jeep contacted him when he did it asking how he got the transmission to work in the Jeep.

This is probably the most common Hemi swap. Especially for the 5.7

Ddays

Hooked
That’s interesting, it would make a difference going to an 8 spd behind the 3.6 For a whole lot less than the V8 swap.

Ive talked to AMW a couple times and at that point they had not figured out the 8spd. I hope they do.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

For 4k, I would do that without any hesitating. Need more info on this please.

Frankly, I'd do this in a heartbeat.too. That 8sp is phenomenal behind the 3.6 in the JL. It'd totally change the personality of a JK.

Ddays

Hooked
Yes please. Someone please figure this out. I would do it for $4K for sure. It would make mountain driving much better

My JL breezed up the mountains out there while the JK pretty much screamed its way to the top. No overheating or anything, but the 8sp keeps the rpms in the sweet spot soooo much better. This swap is being worked on for sure, but that $4k price tag is probably wishful thinking. This will probably require the TCase from a JL as well, so it'll probably be in the $8-10k range I'm guessing.

Birdman1979

Jeep Speed Shop has a kit. AMW is "close" to having one for 8HP75. Agree that transmission swap would be a game changer for the 3.6. 4.7:1 first gear with .65 OD.

JKbrick

My JL breezed up the mountains out there while the JK pretty much screamed its way to the top. No overheating or anything, but the 8sp keeps the rpms in the sweet spot soooo much better. This swap is being worked on for sure, but that $4k price tag is probably wishful thinking. This will probably require the TCase from a JL as well, so it'll probably be in the $8-10k range I'm guessing.

Would it work with an Atlas?

jesse3638

Hooked
Jesse, sounds like you are not a fan of V8 power?
Oh I'd do a V8 swap for sure. The Hemi in our Durango is alot of fun. I could only imagine it in the Jeep. He replaced his 3.6L with another one is what I was referring to. I was just poking fun at him as he bought it already built up, but I do know he is capable of building a rig like that.

I'd be interested in this for sure. I wonder of it would work replacing a 6spd manual. If so that may be my clutch job when it comes time...haha

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Birdman1979

Oh I'd do a V8 swap for sure. The Hemi in our Durango is alot of fun. I could only imagine it in the Jeep. He replaced his 3.6L with another one is what I was referring to. I was just poking fun at him as he bought it already built up, but I do know he is capable of building a rig like that.I'd be interested in this for sure. I wonder of it would work replacing a 6spd manual. If so that may be my clutch job when it comes time...haha

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just talked to AMW 4x4. They are still fine tuning the kit.

3.6 + 8 speed = awesome
6.4 + 5 speed = more awesome
6.4 + 8 speed = badass

Top Bottom