VIDEO : GOLD DUST Part 4 - NITTO JKX / Road to Reward Mine & Cerro Gordo

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think I liked this video the best so far. I love wheeling in rocks but I think I like exploring the desert the most. The history lessons and how you explain them really add that special touch too. Even though I’ve been to and explored these areas it’s great to hear the history of them.

Side note, how was Cerro Gordo? I’ve heard good and bad about the new owners. Do you know if you still need reservations to visit or just to camp?

LOL - that's why we like wheeling with you. Rocks are fun but exploring and history is what we're most passionate about.

Cerro Gordo was very cool but it should be noted that it cost a LOT of money to camp there. You do need to call ahead and make reservations and it should be noted, there's next to nowhere to setup camp. Most of us literally pitched a tent in the middle of the road. The caretaker was extremely knowledgeable and friendly, in fact, he permanent home is down in Gardenerville but he is a talker. I had no problem with this being that I was super interested in what he had to say but I could see a lot of people were glossing over or just walked away. If we had time, he was going to take us to the main mine but unfortunately, we had to leave. I did get his card and talked to him for a bit and hope to plan a trip where we can see more of the place. Let me know if you're interested. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
LOL - that's why we like wheeling with you. Rocks are fun but exploring and history is what we're most passionate about.

Cerro Gordo was very cool but it should be noted that it cost a LOT of money to camp there. You do need to call ahead and make reservations and it should be noted, there's next to nowhere to setup camp. Most of us literally pitched a tent in the middle of the road. The caretaker was extremely knowledgeable and friendly, in fact, he permanent home is down in Gardenerville but he is a talker. I had no problem with this being that I was super interested in what he had to say but I could see a lot of people were glossing over or just walked away. If we had time, he was going to take us to the main mine but unfortunately, we had to leave. I did get his card and talked to him for a bit and hope to plan a trip where we can see more of the place. Let me know if you're interested. :yup:

Definitely interested. It’s been a place I’ve wanted to go for years. Even before it most recently sold. But like I’ve said, I’ve heard good and bad about the new owners (not the caretaker) and it’s mostly bad. But I guess, to each their own, they own it’s their land. Let me know when the trip is!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely interested. It’s been a place I’ve wanted to go for years. Even before it most recently sold. But like I’ve said, I’ve heard good and bad about the new owners (not the caretaker) and it’s mostly bad. But I guess, to each their own, they own it’s their land. Let me know when the trip is!

If you don't mind me asking, what have you heard about the new owners? I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know anything one way or another. Cerro Gordo has always been a place I've wanted to see as much as I have and avoid at the same time. Previous experiences had left a bad taste and I was pretty much done with it.

With that said, we could totally make it a day trip and just to get the tour.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Another good one! I was like dang when Moby went down. Glad to see he is going to make a come back for the rest of the trip.

jdofmemi

Great video, and I'm happy to see that we will get one more episode as well.

Rocks and hard core wheeling is fin, but there is so much more, and I like that we get to see that as well.

The mullet was great at the end.

It was good to see, as usual, everyone coming together to make sure the issues that came up were handled.

It was a change to see Eddie on the receiving end, instead of the one saving the day for someone else.

I'm guessing that the last? Episode will be shorter by a little bit, as there is only so many sand dunes you can show before they all start to look the same, at least until some crazy Texan launches over one!

29:29 for the last? one

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you don't mind me asking, what have you heard about the new owners? I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know anything one way or another. Cerro Gordo has always been a place I've wanted to see as much as I have and avoid at the same time. Previous experiences had left a bad taste and I was pretty much done with it.

With that said, we could totally make it a day trip and just to get the tour.

Everything I’ve heard has been on the internet so we all know about that. Lol

Heard that they are not welcoming to people that stop by, need to make appointments which are not readily available, unwilling to share the history or the area with people. Basically people saying they are trying to “shut it down” if you will to public and make it a money grab and private property. Who knows if it’s true or not but there is more than one complaint of it.

Abntroop

Heard that they are not welcoming to people that stop by, need to make appointments which are not readily available, unwilling to share the history or the area with people. Basically people saying they are trying to “shut it down” if you will to public and make it a money grab and private property. Who knows if it’s true or not but there is more than one complaint of it.

That’s too bad if true as Laurie and I were not familiar with it and immediately googled it interested to visit.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

USMC Wrangler

If I had to pick a favorite episode, so far, I’d say it’s this one. Not because Moby was immobylized [emoji51], but the amount of desert you covered, if that makes sense. I’m looking forward to hearing why that fuse popped. Watching Moby moving without hearing the LS was weird! Like he’s a damn Prius or something!

The mullet ending was epic! [emoji23] Bubba, you’re a camera whore! [emoji13]

Part 5 25:49

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another good one! I was like dang when Moby went down. Glad to see he is going to make a come back for the rest of the trip.

Moby having to hobble off the mountain really sucked but it was nice to get him up and running again.

Great video, and I'm happy to see that we will get one more episode as well.

Rocks and hard core wheeling is fin, but there is so much more, and I like that we get to see that as well.

The mullet was great at the end.

It was good to see, as usual, everyone coming together to make sure the issues that came up were handled.

It was a change to see Eddie on the receiving end, instead of the one saving the day for someone else.

I'm guessing that the last? Episode will be shorter by a little bit, as there is only so many sand dunes you can show before they all start to look the same, at least until some crazy Texan launches over one!

29:29 for the last? one

Glad to see so many people watching to the very end. The whole mullet thing was insane and a great way to finish off a very long day. :crazyeyes:

LOL - okay, so to me, it sounds like nothing has changed. The new owners are doing things the same way the previous ones did. Essentially, they don't want you there unless you're ready to pay and no, they really don't want you just dropping in. And really, I get it - it's private property and they should be able to do whatever the hell they want. I will say though, if you make the call, setup a time to come out and are willing to pay the steep fee, they are all too willing to share the history.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s too bad if true as Laurie and I were not familiar with it and immediately googled it interested to visit.

You can still do it, you just have to be ready to do it right and be willing to pay.

If I had to pick a favorite episode, so far, I’d say it’s this one. Not because Moby was immobylized [emoji51], but the amount of desert you covered, if that makes sense. I’m looking forward to hearing why that fuse popped. Watching Moby moving without hearing the LS was weird! Like he’s a damn Prius or something!

The mullet ending was epic! [emoji23] Bubba, you’re a camera whore! [emoji13]

Part 5 25:49

LOL - it really was an odd thing to coast at a fairly high rate of speeds off road like that.

benatc1

Hooked
LOL - nice way to sum things up :)

Happy to hear you enjoyed this one. Gotta get you and Alex out to some of these places with us :)

Truth be told, we were gunning to make this a 4 part series but decided that there was way too much that happened to squeeze the rest of the trip into one episode.

It took a lot of work but yeah, they got the job done :crazyeyes:
Would love to check these places out! Been to long since I've just drove off into the desert to explore, even on my own. Need to get out more period lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

pop2tu

VIDEO : GOLD DUST Part 4 - NITTO JKX / Road to Reward Mine & Cerro Gordo

Just finished this episode. The history of the stove actually kind of dictated the operating hours of the mine. Did I hear that right? That bullet hole with blood, where else do you get a history lesson like that. I’m thankful he let you video tape it. The little pieces of history is what I love about Jeeping. Thank you for sharing. Almost forgot. 37:15. 37 for my tire size and 15 for the fuse

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Dude, always check the fuses! Webwheeling 101. Lol. Glad it all worked out. Smart they brought Moby to the camp site. Looking forward to part V. [emoji41][emoji106]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would love to check these places out! Been to long since I've just drove off into the desert to explore, even on my own. Need to get out more period lol.

It's been a tough year for us but mainly because of all the projects we had going and getting a Gladiator. Hoping to have a bit more free time after SEMA and maybe we can hook up then. If not, you definitely need to get out there yourself :yup:

Just finished this episode. The history of the stove actually kind of dictated the operating hours of the mine. Did I hear that right? That bullet hole with blood, where else do you get a history lesson like that. I’m thankful he let you video tape it. The little pieces of history is what I love about Jeeping. Thank you for sharing. Almost forgot. 37:15. 37 for my tire size and 15 for the fuse

Not quite right, the mine was already operating day and night and so the American Hotel became a 24 hour operation as well. Glad you enjoyed the history :)

Dude, always check the fuses! Webwheeling 101. Lol. Glad it all worked out. Smart they brought Moby to the camp site. Looking forward to part V. [emoji41][emoji106]

LOL - if you watch the video carefully, I not only checked the fuses, Mel checked them too and with a test light. At the time, they WERE all good. :icon_crazy:

JAGS

Hooked
LOL - if you watch the video carefully, I not only checked the fuses, Mel checked them too and with a test light. At the time, they WERE all good. :icon_crazy:

Yeah, I did see Mel checking. I only have that one trick in my bag, so had to use it. Ha ha. Intermittent fuse issue?? Weird as you even started it several times. In any case, glad that’s all it was.

JAGS

Hooked

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ya know, lone pine area is about half way for us so cal folks to you. Just saying. We could plan something one of these months.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Another great episode! It’s been a long time since I have seen brakes smoke like that! Glad everything worked out getting Moby mobile again.

Part V 35:17

TrailHunter

Hooked
Glad to hear you had fun watching this one even though there wasn't a whole lot of wheeling in it - like none :crazyeyes: :)

There was plenty of wheeling..... downhill.....with the engine off. Lol. It's definitely not All about climbing over Rocks. :thumb:

Exodus 4x4

My favorite part of the JKX. Glad you guys captured it so well. Rocks are cool, but I sure like being able to open it up let the LS do its thing a lot more. Gonna have to make it back out there soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I did see Mel checking. I only have that one trick in my bag, so had to use it. Ha ha. Intermittent fuse issue?? Weird as you even started it several times. In any case, glad that’s all it was.

LOL - oh yeah, I got what you were saying and thought it was funny. You'll have to watch Part 5 to find out what was going on.

Ya know, lone pine area is about half way for us so cal folks to you. Just saying. We could plan something one of these months.

Would love to. Unfortunately, we're completely booked until after SEMA. I can't even begin to breath until after that. :icon_crazy:

Another great episode! It’s been a long time since I have seen brakes smoke like that! Glad everything worked out getting Moby mobile again.

Part V 35:17

LOL - me too. Had we not disconnected from Randy, I think things wouldn't have ended well.

There was plenty of wheeling..... downhill.....with the engine off. Lol. It's definitely not All about climbing over Rocks. :thumb:

:cheesy: Well said. :thumb:

Top Bottom