VIDEO : HEATING THINGS UP - Putting Moby's 6.2L LT Cooling System to the Test

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Moby sounds, looks, and performed amazing! Robbie and the team killed it!

240 is deff a little high for the new 10 speed. I bet if you drop that aux cooler in the rear down off the body and bit or on an angle for more air flow when the fan is on it will cool it even more. I’m sure Robbie could also turn the max temp down for the main fan to say 220-225 to create more air flow sooner for the trans and cooling system

Bear_JT

Hooked
Moby looks like he performed great! I can only imagine how much fun you and Cindy are having testing him out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks and sounds amazing. Great spot to test the cooling too. I remember a lot of rigs getting a bit warm even in January going through that area. (Paging baddestcross)

LOL - yeah, it's a tough route for sure and one that will test out any engine. :crazyeyes:

Great to see Moby on a trail again.[emoji106]

Thanks! Been crazy fun to have him back again and in this form :yup:

Very "cool" Eddie.. pun intended. And great job to Cindy for the nice video. Never get sick of watching Moby.

LOL - thank you :)

Thanks for posting the video mines been at Motech since May just confirmed my choice of going to Robbie for the swap . Just one question did you swap gears with the new power-plant ?

Nope, still running 5.38s.

Great video. Impressed with the upgrade. And that drive was awesome! Altho I probably woulda done it at night, Temps may be too hot for my (hooman) radiator.

Your dog is awesome as always.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the video :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have faith in that aux fan lasting? Hard to tell in the video exactly where it is. I’m guessing about the axle where the evap was?

It's located up close to the rear of the gas tank. Not quite in the same place as where we had the evap. I don't think it'll get hit or damaged if that's what you mean. Might be more concerned with how waterproof it is than anything.

Very cool to see. Seems like Motech has really stepped it up on these. Moby sounds amazing too

I think the LT and with the Motech single module system is a game changer for sure.

Moby gives me a chubby. (not gay)

LOL

Moby sounds, looks, and performed amazing! Robbie and the team killed it!

240 is deff a little high for the new 10 speed. I bet if you drop that aux cooler in the rear down off the body and bit or on an angle for more air flow when the fan is on it will cool it even more. I’m sure Robbie could also turn the max temp down for the main fan to say 220-225 to create more air flow sooner for the trans and cooling system

I wish I had more time to work on things because I think those are some great ideas to try. Need to get some well needed maintenance done first though. Might have to address the trans cooling after the JKX.

Moby looks like he performed great! I can only imagine how much fun you and Cindy are having testing him out.

Thanks and yes, he's a ton of fun now. :cool:

Brute

Hooked
It does sound a bit warm...I could only imagine what the temps would have been without all of the coolers.

I still remember climbing a shelf road above Big Pine 5 years ago in Brute...it was 103 degrees, and climbing in 1st or 2nd gear in 4lo...by the time I got to the top, I melted the wiring looms and burned a hole in my air line to my rear locker...no fun.

The fans on my trans and oil coolers on my JK6 turn on at 180 degrees...and climbing the grade on 15 North heading into Las Vegas in 110 degrees doing 70 mph (where I was getting considerably more air flow than you did due to speed) was the warmest I've ever seen both coolant and trans temps in it...but trans was still just under 200, and my coolant reached 218. I don't have ac in this jeep...and had my uppers off the half doors...even at 70 mph, it was pretty damn warm in the cab...

Moby sounds great...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I wish I had more time to work on things because I think those are some great ideas to try. Need to get some well needed maintenance done first though. Might have to address the trans cooling after the JKX.:

Just talked to the one trans guy I work with. He said 175 is a good operating temp for the new 10 speed trans so there has to be a way we can get those temps down. I know it was triple digits so that plays a role in 240 temps

MOTECH

The 8 and 10 speed transmissions have a thermostat built in that forces them to run about 180° minimum this helps burn off moisture and contaminants. Also most of the adaptives and quick learns require the transmission to be above 180°. The 10 speed runs the new ultra low viscosity (ULV) fluid so it's a little bit different when it comes to hydraulic flow.

One of the challenges with Moby was the double throwdown, we normally fit a much larger transmission cooler in the rear but space was limited. We do have room for a larger cooler but it wasn't available at the time.

It's great to see Moby on the trails again he's one of my favorite Jeeps, he runs amazing with the LT 10 speed.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The 8 and 10 speed transmissions have a thermostat built in that forces them to run about 180° minimum this helps burn off moisture and contaminants. Also most of the adaptives and quick learns require the transmission to be above 180°. The 10 speed runs the new ultra low viscosity (ULV) fluid so it's a little bit different when it comes to hydraulic flow.

One of the challenges with Moby was the double throwdown, we normally fit a much larger transmission cooler in the rear but space was limited. We do have room for a larger cooler but it wasn't available at the time.

It's great to see Moby on the trails again he's one of my favorite Jeeps, he runs amazing with the LT 10 speed.

The adaptive learn on the 8 and 10 speeds require a min of 160* and no more than 185*.

The new ulv fluid is basically water lol. We do 20qt flushes on the 8 speeds for tcc shutters daily

MOTECH

Yeah GM says 167-185 but we have had them at 175 and they reject the learn for temp too low.

One of our goals was to offboard cooling so it all wasn't put into the engine compartment, so the engine oil cooler and remote trans coolers help with that. I think Eddie saw engine temps stayed close to fan on temp because it it doesn't have to deal with that additional heat.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah GM says 167-185 but we have had them at 175 and they reject the learn for temp too low.

One of our goals was to offboard cooling so it all wasn't put into the engine compartment, so the engine oil cooler and remote trans coolers help with that. I think Eddie saw engine temps stayed close to fan on temp because it it doesn't have to deal with that additional heat.

You guys did good adding the extra cooling.

What’s your thought on bringing the main coolant fan on sooner to help with air flow across the main trans cooler up front? This could possibly help bring down temps so the aux one in the rear wouldn’t need to be turned on unless trans temps kept climbing as shown in eddies video

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Just wanted to thank you again for the awesome job you and your guys did on Moby! Driving back up to Carson City has never been so much fun LOL!! Out on the trail - he simply rocks now :rock:

jdofmemi

I'm pretty impressed by what has been done here, and hopefully it continues to be trouble free for years to come.

I also think this is a worthy goal to take my build to, one day.

Having the new module, so you get rid of the "language barrier" between GM and FCA systems sure seems like it is now the #1 option out there.👍👍👍

Top Bottom